Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions needed on Clutch for Spirit R/T

boostaholic

Re: Opinions needed on Clutch for Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    If you use a heavy pressure plate, make sure you can start the car without having to push the clutch pedal to avoid nasty thrust bearing wear during 'dry' startup.
    Yes indeed. I rarely ever leave it in gear or push the clutch in to start. Thankfully this is no daily driver.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I wouldn't use that clutch disc, no springs retainer!

4 punks hold more power than 6 punks. I think TU pressure plate requires TU clutch disc, because the disc are thicker.
    I know they hold more power, just wondering about any differences in harshness? This isn't what I would have ordered, but I scored the TU purple PP, 4 puck disc and a new steel flywheel shipped to my door for less than the stage 3 6 puck I was eyeballing would have cost pre-shipping. I'm just hoping it isn't a giant PITA to drive.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    With a heavy plate, what puts the engagement so far towards the floor is all the slack and flex in the cable, the cable mounting, the rubber grommets, etc. You step on the clutch pedal and before it starts actually moving the diaphram on the plate, it flexes the mounting at the clutch pedal assembly, the mount on the strut tower, squeezes the grommet on the trans, etc. All that takes up swing motion of the clutch pedal, which puts engagement/disengagement way down toward the floor.

When I did the extended arm mod way back when for a DD plate I ran for a bit, I put a very heavy spring on the bottom of the clutch pedal. This pulled the much more flex/movement out of the clutch cable components, which brought the engagement point back up. Also kept the self adjusting function working. It probably put a bit more wear on the TOB, but it wasn't a daily driver for me so I was OK with it. If using a DD plate, the best way to address the issue is to strengthen and brace the components so they don't flex/squish/move as much.

The ideal route (in my opinion) is to not use a DD plate. The extended arm helps, but it really is a band aid for a not so ideal clutch. I've been very happy with the TU clutches I've run and would recommend going that route.
    Yeah I didn't mention that was an unmodified dual diaphragm. I think it makes the adjuster just move up to the top of the pedal where it gets jammed. I have thought about locking it in place but that is way down on the list of life projects.
    I ignored it for years but if you don't drive it for awhile or think about it, you will get a grumpy shift. My daily with stock plate is right in the middle and what my leg/brain is used to.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    I know they hold more power, just wondering about any differences in harshness? This isn't what I would have ordered, but I scored the TU purple PP, 4 puck disc and a new steel flywheel shipped to my door for less than the stage 3 6 puck I was eyeballing would have cost pre-shipping. I'm just hoping it isn't a giant PITA to drive.

From the sound of it, you're going to use it regardless of what you hear. So, let us know how it turns out for you.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Yeah I didn't mention that was an unmodified dual diaphragm. I think it makes the adjuster just move up to the top of the pedal where it gets jammed. I have thought about locking it in place but that is way down on the list of life projects.
    I ignored it for years but if you don't drive it for awhile or think about it, you will get a grumpy shift. My daily with stock plate is right in the middle and what my leg/brain is used to.
    Ondonti, how was the overall pedal feel after the modded arm?

The other risk to a very heavy plate is that it leads to thrust bearing wear. I've pulled apart two motors that had the thrust bearings and the crank heavily damaged that had heavy plates in them.
    Pat, when you say "very heavy plate" are you talking about plates like TU's Purple plate that is "heavy" but has a near stock pedal feel or plate that has a heavy pedal feel? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Pat, when you say "very heavy plate" are you talking about plates like TU's Purple plate that is "heavy" but has a near stock pedal feel or plate that has a heavy pedal feel? Thanks
    Heavy pedal feel...more force needed to push the diaphragm, more force pushing against the thrust bearing.

Heavy pedal feel...more force needed to push the diaphragms, more force pushing against the thrust bearing.
    *fixed*

We never really liked selling the Dual Diaphragm clutches because of the abuse the thrust bearings were subjected to. Once the Stage IV (Purple/Black) PP came out there was no need to offer them anymore.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Last year I installed a TU yellow plate/4-puck clutch in to my old '91 Spirit R/T. I had just rebuilt the entire drivetrain for the car to stock specs except 3" exhaust and a few bolt-ons. After selling it to a local friend, it was quickly modded with a 50-trim T3/T4 hybrid turbo, big FMIC, 3-bar/+40 injector/SBEC, and is running 20 psi boost. The TU yellow plate and 4-puck clutch have not been a problem at all. Love it.

boostaholic

How is the clutch engagement and overall pedal feel?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12