Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push Pull shift cable possible group buy

Push Pull shift cable possible group buy

I'm getting some cables sent out to push-pull.com to get duplicated and asked if I could get a group buy price with a large enough order. I haven't heard anything back on a group buy rate yet. It's currently estimated at $160 per cable. Hopefully they can do a bit better on a larger order, either way I'll be getting a set for my car. This is just a feeler to gauge interest. Let me know if you'd be in for sure or a maybe and when I have a more concrete price for a group buy I'll post it up. Right now you would be looking at 320 plus shipping for the set. The cables I have here have the ball and socket arrangement on 3 ends and a heim style on the 4th. I'm guessing they used the same cables on all the cars but who knows. I can post up some pictures of the cables I'm sending if that would help.

turbo addict

Re: Push Pull shift cable possible group buy

Thought they might be the same, but maybe not. Some day I will need it, so might just as need say yes now.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

cables for different models are diff lengths
    even same model types can have diff length cables in differing build years

I thought I read push / pull wanted everyone to send their own cables individually to have sets made to match the buyer's application

My set for my Daytona were made from their measurement and I didn't have to send any in. I'm just worried about the cables being different on different cars. I wouldn't think they would have changed something like a shift cable. The cable would be routed the same way on all the cars and the base design of the cars are the same between roadster, targa, and hard top. They look like a standard dodge cable. I'll have to dig some Daytona 555 cables out to compare to these.

Hybrid booster

This is an interesting idea, but I believe more information is needed.
    I remember the push-pull cables, and they are just.....UN-BE-LEEV-ABLE!

I would surely be in on a group buy; depending on what exactly we would be ordering.

In the original thread,
    the cables that were ordered were heim joints throughout.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=push-pull

If that is the case with the cables being considered here, I'm IN.

turbo addict

Benji....let's see your comparison...would be good to know.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Here are the Daytona cables versus the consulier cables. The ends look exactly the same, the Consulier cables are just longer. Daytona cables are on top. I was planning on the ball and socket type connector so they are a direct swap. I'll have to read through the push-pull cable thread and see what those that went with all heim ends used to secure them. I'd bet they could install either end depending on what you would want.

turbo addict

As I expected, longer. Just like our throttle cable, the same except longer.

Hybrid booster

I assume you guys are replacing cables to fix sloppy shifting? Or what ? Mine feels good except it's a bit notchy going into first. And a little bit of play finding 5th. Or is there something else?

I actually don't have cables for my car. The set I have are on loan from Matt (player1up). I have a set for the 568 in my Daytona and they are very nice and an upgrade to even a set with poly bushings. I want to get my car running and driving this summer and then take it apart for body work next winter.

Garrett booster

Call me crazy but I don't like the push pull cables. They have a certain amount of free play inside the cable itself. While that's fine on the selector cable I find it very annoying on the crossover cable. I too had the set made from Carrols specs. Maybe I've missed something but I can't get rid of the slop internal to the cable. It's a shame because I like the quality and strength of them.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have bought two sets of A568 cables for Spirit R/T's from push-pull.com. I do remember they wanted me to send the stock cables so that they could be duplicated as close as possible. I sent them a set of cables from one of my '91 Spirit R/Ts for a pair of cables to be make for two '91 Spirit R/T's.

I installed the first set and it's been doing great in the first car (my old red R/T). I was very happy with the shifter feel. The heim joints eliminate the need for a bushing and slip over the stock shifter 'studs' on the transaxle and shifter just fine. I believe we used an 'E' clip to secure the helm joint to the 'studs' on the shifter base and transaxle sides.

I'm definitely looking forward to running the other set I bought on my other Spirit R/T. They are much better than stock cables and eliminate a lot of the squishy feel of stock cables and worn out shifter bushings.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    I assume you guys are replacing cables to fix sloppy shifting? Or what ? Mine feels good except it's a bit notchy going into first. And a little bit of play finding 5th. Or is there something else?
    There are 2 issues reported with the stock cables.
    1. They break at the shifter or pop off under extreme conditions.
    2. They break, pop off, get sloppy at the trans

Between the heim joints and short throw shifter, the shifting is where it needs to be for these cars. The trans is still a little slow as far as getting it into gear, but from what I've read it's a common complaint with the a555 and I've got some other things to work on so that "problem" can wait for now.
    I highly recommend a short throw shifter.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I have been thinking about getting some of the push pull cables, count me in for a group buy if you hear anything. Would be looking for l-body and p-body.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

boostaholic

I'm in for a GTP set. Maybe a van set if we're talking a multi chassis group buy.

I talked with David at Push-Pull and it doesn't sound like they will do any sort of group buy unless we can get 25-50 orders. I'm guessing that won't happen any time soon. I'm going to send in my cables and have them look them over and verify pricing. I may try to remove one of the stock balls to send with. The current estimate is 160 ea so 320 for the set. Definitely more expensive than the last set I got for the daytona. I'll keep everyone in the loop as to when he receives my cables and what we decide for the ends. I'm guessing that if he has the cables there he can do them either way and if you want a set you can contact him and discuss what you want and can get a set made without having to remove yours. I like the idea of keeping them completely stock as I've never had the 555 cables pop off but if the heim can be made to fit easily it may be a more robust way to go.

David has my cables and is checking what he has for ball ends that will fit the stock ball and socket type connector. I haven't heard back on what he's found yet but if anyone wants to get a set of cables made you could contact him at info@push-pull.com or Phone # 530-893-4060. He said he could also do standard rod ends no problem. I'm not sure how that would fit on the stock shifter ball ends but it is an option if you want.

Hybrid booster

Let us know about pricing

Will do when I hear back.

Pricing ended up at 360 I think for the set. 200 for the longer cable and 160 for the shorter. The length is what caused the price increase. They should be shipping out in the next few days. They don't keep any sort of blueprints so you'll have to send in a set to get a copy made. They seem to be extremely worried about cables from car to car not matching. I'll post up some picks when they come in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast