Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FWDPerformance Prototype Coilovers

Hybrid booster

FWDPerformance Prototype Coilovers

FWDPerformance Prototype Coilovers still testing fit and function. So far things are lining up very well.

Not fully adjusted, but they are in and fit well. Now need to decide on spring rate.

boostaholic

Re: FWDPerformance Prototype Coilovers

Nice! the lancer could use those on the front for sure.

turbo addict

They going to make these for L bodies too?

Hybrid booster

Koni coil overs for the l body's are already available from Fwdperformance.com

turbo addict

Is it just the fronts?

Hybrid booster

Working on the fronts right now. Rears will be visited when we perfect the front.

We might do the coilovers on the front and adjustable koni shocks on the back using stock rear springs or possibly sourcing a different rear spring rate.

For my "only go straight car", I am keeping the air shock set-up in my build thread. The fronts were so I can run a taller tire and plant the front end. The air shocks, with my lock down kit, provide very minimal squat during launch and shifts.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

What spring rate and length do you have?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    What spring rate and length do you have?
    Testing the 6k right now, then plan on trying 4k, 7k and 8k on varied cars.

They are damping adjustable as well.

boostaholic

6k on a H body would probably be pretty nice!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

This is the first actual exciting suspension post I have seen in years. I hope something more intricate is made for the rear but I would not want something that interferes with the wheel well space.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    This is the first actual exciting suspension post I have seen in years. I hope something more intricate is made for the rear but I would not want something that interferes with the wheel well space.
    I agree, we are trying some different combos for the back, but things are awfully tight back there.

Hybrid booster

Some more pics

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Things are pretty tight in the front too if you actually want to lower the car and run wide tires (i.e. make it look good). Not a big deal for a drag car.

I know it depends on body style. I had to roll the fender lips to run my 245/40/17s on my Dynasty, but when i put them on my spirit for a test fit they stuck out the front fenders a whole damn inch and when i put them on my Aries they hit the fenders when you turned the wheel. So not all body styles are the same, but as far as i know they ALL have issues when you actually run wide tires and lower them.

The thing i like about this new product is that you can adjust the whole damper body down into the strut which is helpful for having the damper closer to its center of travel when you actually lower the car 3 inches. Hopefully they are a shorter damper than the stock geometry, because at one point i lowered a car on stock struts until it was literally sitting on the struts' bumpstops and it had ZERO bump travel other than the bumpstops at the height i wanted. Even if you were able to lower the damper into the strut yoke an inch or so, having a damper that long would still be far from ideal for a lowered car.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Things are pretty tight in the front too if you actually want to lower the car and run wide tires (i.e. make it look good). Not a big deal for a drag car.

I know it depends on body style. I had to roll the fender lips to run my 245/40/17s on my Dynasty, but when i put them on my spirit for a test fit they stuck out the front fenders a whole damn inch and when i put them on my Aries they hit the fenders when you turned the wheel. So not all body styles are the same, but as far as i know they ALL have issues when you actually run wide tires and lower them.

The thing i like about this new product is that you can adjust the whole damper body down into the strut which is helpful for having the damper closer to its center of travel when you actually lower the car 3 inches. Hopefully they are a shorter damper than the stock geometry, because at one point i lowered a car on stock struts until it was literally sitting on the struts' bumpstops and it had ZERO bump travel other than the bumpstops at the height i wanted. Even if you were able to lower the damper into the strut yoke an inch or so, having a damper that long would still be far from ideal for a lowered car.
    These are different cartridges then the first pictures I posted.

Still can go down another inch to 1.5 inches inside the perch.

The tires on the front are 225/50/15's on 35mm offset rims. The rears are 23/8.5/15 on 35mm offset rims.

Garrett booster

I'm curious in the shock dampener itself? As in who's supplying it? Rich has done a lot with BC coilovers for our cars already. Judging by the spring rates being tested this isnt for a dd or anything. I love this stuff though.

turbo addict

I was wondering the same thing. The $1k price point is actually pretty darn good and even makes sense, but I'm curious as to what the product really is.

Hybrid booster

still lots of testing to do, the inserts are from a very reputable company I do not want to name names quite yet cuz we're still in the testing phase so far on a light car the 650 Springs are a good fit

Hybrid booster

these are eBay vw struts from eBay I put on my horizon. Look familiar.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by joelzip View Post
    these are eBay vw struts from eBay I put on my horizon. Look familiar.
    The struts in this thread are able to adjust the body downwards so you don't loose travel when "lowering" the car.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

The struts in this thread are able to adjust the body downwards so you don't loose travel when "lowering" the car.
    THIS! they may be similar but far from the same, the adjustable body makes a "big" difference when trying to go "low".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast