Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My new gtp - many questions

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: My new gtp - many questions

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    I went for a spin today .with the new fuel filter I know have no problem up untill I hit 5k rpm n 5 psi of boost. If I hold it there it acts like it's not getting enough fuel. I need to replace the pump or test it. The car did not over boost today.

Also I am having an intermittently sticking throttle. Foot off gas pedal but continues to increase rpms.
    Aha, now we're getting somewhere. A cookie says the cam timing is advanced one tooth...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

So I pulled the in line fuel filter and found this inside
    And this was in the line.
    So I looked into the fuel tank and found this
    So then I had to acid wash the tank. Now it looks like this
    So I will be replacing the pump and the filters.

I am a bit bummed out , look at the original posting when the car was listed for sale. I was expecting a bit more transparency from the PO.

While car was on the lift I discovered that the tie rods are shot as are all the ball joints. The motor and tranny mounts are toast. Cv boots are ripped. Flexible brake hoses are toast- they are zip tied on.
    When we put it on the dyno it became apparent that the clutch is slipping. It is worse under load at around 4500 rpm.

Once the fuel system is sorted. I will start on the rest of the stuff. I was hoping to take the car to a track day this weekend, not looking promising.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

For such a nice looking example, that is unfortunate. Usually after a vehicle has been sitting nearly 20 years, the fuel system is the first thing that needs attention.
    However, knowing how the fuel will varnish and crystalize over that time, it might very well have had a fuel filter change and over time has sluffed off more of what has coated/accumulated in the tank.

You are on the right track with your plans to go through the entire fuel system. If you still have running issues you might consider injector cleaning or replacement.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

If the fuel filter and lines are like that it might be wise to send the injectors to mr injector and have them serviced just for piece of mind. The guy is awsome and flow sheets are provided before and after.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input. I will check out doing the injectors. PO replaced all filters pump and had tank cleaned. So I was not expecting these issues. Its not hard to imagine the ball joints etc being bad given that the car has close to 70k on it. BUT I would have liked to know that prior to purchase. That what happens when you buy a car sight unseen.

turbo addict

I still want one but that seems like it's not gonna happen so I'll just build my 86sc rwd lol.

Hybrid booster

That kinda looks like the first in-line filter deteriorated. The tan powder / paste...or is that sawdust There shouldn't be anything in the fuel system that color except filter material. Rust is way darker than that ( even dry ). Unless it's aluminum oxide / rust combination, but I digress...

I'm right there with you on the repairs.
    On the way as we speak: Clutch, ball joints, tie rod ends and cv boots.

Other things to inspect:
    The front trans mount for cracks. I know of at least 2 cars that are like that, mine being one.
    Clutch system. I had to replace all of it, master, slave, lines.
    Thermostat and radiator cap. Sometimes we don't think of the simple things
    ALL of the electrical connections ( grounds specifically ). I was chasing intermittent lighting problems for a while. Stuff like brake lights and headlights.

Oh, If you have the tank out, don't forget to send Benji the measurements and some pics.

turbo addict

Sorry to hear about your findings. As you know a road worthy car does not make a track worth car.

Did you neutralize the tank with baking sofa after cleaning it with acid?

I wish you would have had the car shipped to Brian in Philadelphia for a thorough welfare check. Boost problems, fuel lines, clutch, suspension, brakes, motor work are all things he can do on his lunch break He is amazing. I guess it's too late at this point.

Definately feel it out on the track as it sits but if you want a track worthy GTP you will be addressing the braking system and suspension as well.

turbo addict

Seems EVERYONE that bought one of these has these issues and if they have not addressed them, then they still need addressed.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

That's the same white substance that clogged my friends big block ford all up. Its the coating of your tank that your seeing. It went through his high flow cleanable fuel filter and clogged the carb up just like the picture you provided. I'd def check injectors after seeing that. Cheaper than a piston for sure.

turbo addict

After my tank was cleaned out well, I still needed to change the inline filter every month or so for a when. Got better and have not need to change it for 6 months. But will do it again before the driving season starts.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

I checked with the mechanic that did the work, the tank was removed and flushed, all the standard filters, lines and pump were replaced. Its entirely possible the tank still had some crud in it, I don't know. Sorry to hear that it clogged a filter. The car ran OK when it was here(other than issues stated) and the clutch didn't slip(it was run up through the gears without issue). Maybe it had some miles on it and after the impromptu parking lot autocrosses and a dyno run it began to slip-who knows.
    Everything was disclosed that was known and zero attempt was made to "hide" anything. I don't do that-ever.
    It is a very nice car(far better than many of the ratty examples out there) and replacing a few original suspension bits shouldn't be a big deal.
    I asked the mechanic about the tank and he said it was flushed and he saw a coating inside and figured that was supposed to be there-maybe that's what had broken down with use. All the filters were fresh so I doubt anything made it to the injectors-hopefully not.
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

turbo addict

Ethanol eats the coating away. That old fuel doesnt do that

turbo addict

I was about to post that...this is what ethanol fuel does! I keep saying it, and I'll keep on saying it...ethanol fuel is only good in cars that are designed for it. Other than that you are asking for problems...just like this.

As for the rest of it..yeah, typical 20-year something old car that's been sitting a long time type stuff. I wouldn't balk at that.

Hybrid booster

Yes all good points. And I am not upset about the standard wear and tear items. And as you see the PO did in good faith do the fuel clean out , here in FL premium fuel has no ethanol and I have been running that.
    I was able to adjust the clutch. The slave cylinder was not adjusted correctly. Hopefully disc etc is fine.
    I am ordering stainless brake lines. And am waiting on my poly stuff from Johnny.
    When randy and I go to rossion I am going to grab a rear subframe assembly to have as a spare.

turbo addict

Post #650 in my build thread shows how we cleaned the tank with apple cider vinegar. It probably wasn't this clean from the factory.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...P-build/page33
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 03-11-2015 at 04:39 PM.

turbo addict

Even if you cleaned the tank if the coating was starting to go ethanol will destroy it I recommend using por15 gas tank kit to strip and coat. It's no one's fault other than ethanol. And I'm pretty sure most every fuel now a days has a certain amount of ethanol in it by law now

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will check out doing the injectors. PO replaced all filters pump and had tank cleaned. So I was not expecting these issues. Its not hard to imagine the ball joints etc being bad given that the car has close to 70k on it. BUT I would have liked to know that prior to purchase. That what happens when you buy a car sight unseen.

You're new here Polo and as such you are still figuring out who the trusted board members/members of the TM community are. You may not care what I think or for my opinion but since I've been involved in your thread trying to help solve issues, I feel like I should have some say and I'm gonna give it out anyway I run the California chapter of the Shelby Dodge Automobile club, we have been meeting for almost 25 years and according to the national chapter president, we have one of the largest regular monthly gatherings of TM enthusiasts. I have no shortage of 'street Cred' within this group or the TM.com members. I have know 'Forza' for many of those years, I've even bought cars off of him. If it had a dent he knew about, he disclosed it. If it ran rough, he let me know ahead of purchase. Icould EASILY get other members of this community to tell the same story. Some issues have indeed arisen since you have started 'enthusiastic driving' of your GTP, however trying to implicate the 'PO' over them is way off base IMO. Were you hoping for a new car warranty on a 25 year old car

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

As noted in my last post I did say that the PO contacted me and had done or at least paid for the work on the fuel system. The tank was supposed to have been removed cleaned etc fuel lines pump n filters replaced and the car was driven regularly for several hundred miles after.
    It is a bummer to me, because the fuel system and the radiator( which leaks and is introducing air into the system) were noted as having had been all rebuilt and or replaced. As such I did not foresee those as areas which would need immediate attention.
    I do not expect a 25 year old car to be free of issues.
    Spirited driving for a total of perhaps 30 min is not, as you know, going to
    create these issues.
    Anyway my intention is not to be overly critical but I do feel disappointed for the aforementioned reasons.
    A positive take home message is everyone should routinely clean their tanks and stay far away from ethanol.

turbo addict

If you ever would like to sell it and cut your losses let this guy know....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast