Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with 16v prototypes

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: What to do with 16v prototypes

Yeah I was surprised when it showed up! I really had to look for the coveted TIII valve cover! But it all arrived just fine and for the most part they are still sitting on the pallet.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Yeah, that was fun. I have pictures somewhere. I was going "this guy is going to laugh when he sees this disaster", but it got 2 complete engines and tons of parts to you.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Pictures?

If I had $5000, those would be mine, lol.

My 2 cents. I hate seeing things sit, I don't like it when people buy a rare car, IE a GN, and let it sit in a museum, so for me, I would either use them or sell them to someone who will use them in a build.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

edit: Found the crazy shipping pics:

I forgot I got 3 complete engines plus extras on a pallet. This is before everything was secured / Joel came by with plumber's strap.
    Last edited by J&H Ryan; 05-11-2015 at 03:18 PM.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

So, I would think that based on standard collectable rules, modifying something to work would kill the collectable value (if there was or will be some value). Value to a racer is another thing.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

If anyone buys turbo-mopar parts for investment value, you're going to have a bad time. I'd think the enjoyment received from one of those beauties pushing you back in your seat would exceed anything you'd get monetarily by storing all that for 20 years. The Shelby prototype covers on the other hand are small and should only be worth more.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

if an item is something that could be displayed and "bragged" about, it has collector value ( to my eyes). How much depends upon who's interested and how much"disposable" income that group have. In short, I'd enjoy your stuff and not worry that you might be defacing a piece of art.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Almost forgot about this. I didn't buy these for collector value at all. I only bought them because I'm an old school turbo Mopar fanatic and nothing is cooler than the TIII and Masi 16v in my book! The fact that either can be bolted into any old K or L based or or even a Caravan with little to no fabrication has it's allure, especially for somebody like me that has little resources to do custom parts myself.

So far I've got one of the Masi 16v engines installed in my Shelby Lancer and it is very close to running. I bolted an A568 to it and dropped it right in with little difficulty. The hardest part will be the wiring which I'm working on now. I do admit it is a bit sad to see these parts sit and I've sold a few cars in the last year alone that I would have liked to install them in. Changes with management/ownership at work have really made it a lot harder to have as many cars as I used to. I had to sell the Omni GLH, Shelby CSX, and a Spirit R/T. Believe me I would have loved to put one of these 16v engines in the GLH or CSX!

Lately I'm finding that I'm more into building engines than having cars. I have more than enough to keep me busy until I'm 300 years old, so maybe I should sell, but the only way that would be feasible is to rent a box truck and unload at SDAC but I can't make it this year. I don't mind holding onto them. If somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse I'd think about it of course.

I've had a couple people express interest in the proto TIII. They are building cars that would be very deserving of that engine so that means something.

turbo addict

If at some point the stars were to align and you wanted to sell the prototype Masi and I had the funds...I'd be all over it!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    There are many iterations of the T-III stuff (i.e. prototype, pre-production, early production, etc..) and their use is best determined by what level of hardware they have.
    The major difference between the pre and early production units are distributor provisions and balance shaft existence.
    This makes the T-III blocks with the distributor provision good for those that do not wish to change the entire harness while supporting mods to use the distributor in the stock location.
    On the other hand, the prototypes were very thick castings and support porting beyond what can be achieved on any of the later heads while also being thicker in the freeze plug boss area.
    These are typically identified by not having the airbox mounting bosses on the back of the head and confirmed by small trapezoidal bosses within the rocker shaft area.

In short, someone wanting to push the envelope with a T-III would best benefit by a prototype thick cast head and a block that supports a distributor without balance shafts.
    While the later iterations are good for over-all general use and in some cases come with the distributor provision just in case there's a desire to utilize it.
    I take it that these are the bosses and lack of air box mounting you are referring to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	075.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	54802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	077.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	54803  

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sorry for the thread hijack. I did have another question about the TIII prototypes; if the heads and blocks are different is there any differences in the cams?

No problem, and I hope somebody can answer your question on the prototype TIII camshafts. It might take a cam doctor to be sure though. The TIII prototype I have lacks the bosses for the airbox assembly and also has plug in the block for the distributor hole. The Masi 16v prototype I have has a very different valve cover than production models and also a very different thermostat outlet. So I'm sure they are both legit and appear to have very little run time. I'm sure neither was ever actually installed in a vehicle.

To be completely honest.... At this point in my life I just want out of this stuff. I hoarded like crazy after my twin brother died (sorry if thats TMI) because I just didn't know what else to do. I want to put this part of my life and my "iTurbo" persona behind me and become Jeremy Mitchell v2.0. I would love either to find the right buyer for these engines (5 TIIIs/5Masi 16v) or preferably somebody to just buy me out completely. I made a big mistake and I will take a HUGE financial loss but I'm still 37 and I need to find some real hapiness. Besides that I've already sold a few cars I had planned to put these in. I need to move on because life is too short and having this stuff lying around is not making me any happier.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

It's really not uncommon to 'collect' when you are trying to fill a void, I did it too AND took a loss when I pared down my stuff to a reasonable level If I didn't have 3 'spare' Masi motors and 2 heads, I'd be a buyer. I think realistically tho, I have enough powerplants to last me thru all future projects. Life is good again for me now and I hope you get to that point as well, I had hoped you'd fly into SDAC this year and we'd swap stories

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    No problem, and I hope somebody can answer your question on the prototype TIII camshafts. It might take a cam doctor to be sure though. The TIII prototype I have lacks the bosses for the airbox assembly and also has plug in the block for the distributor hole. The Masi 16v prototype I have has a very different valve cover than production models and also a very different thermostat outlet. So I'm sure they are both legit and appear to have very little run time. I'm sure neither was ever actually installed in a vehicle.

To be completely honest.... At this point in my life I just want out of this stuff. I hoarded like crazy after my twin brother died (sorry if thats TMI) because I just didn't know what else to do. I want to put this part of my life and my "iTurbo" persona behind me and become Jeremy Mitchell v2.0. I would love either to find the right buyer for these engines (5 TIIIs/5Masi 16v) or preferably somebody to just buy me out completely. I made a big mistake and I will take a HUGE financial loss but I'm still 37 and I need to find some real hapiness. Besides that I've already sold a few cars I had planned to put these in. I need to move on because life is too short and having this stuff lying around is not making me any happier.
    I can feel for ya, bro. After my wife passed away in 2012 I can't even tell you how many cars I bought and sold and how many projects I started and didn't finish. But it helped keep me sane. The only vehicle I have left from then is my SRT-10 Ram, and I'm planning on keeping it for a loooooong time.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wish I could afford to buy your TIII stuff, maybe I can remortgage my house,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Wish I could afford to buy your TIII stuff, maybe I can remortgage my house,
    House? I thought you Canucks lived in Igloos....

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'd have interest in some of this, if you still want to part with it. Let me know.

-Deryk

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparloper View Post
    I take it that these are the bosses and lack of air box mounting you are referring to?
    Correct.

Additionally there are the tell-tale bosses within the rocker rail area.
    As a side note, the three bosses circled in green are the original air box mounting holes.

From here, we can dig a little deeper and determine how early of a protoype it is.
    Machined freeze plug bosses are earlier than the later units that left the cast material in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T-II_Head.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	56166  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12