Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is involved in building a 2.5 TIII?

Hybrid booster

Re: What is involved in building a 2.5 TIII?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    I've been running a 2.5 TIII since 2007, Rob did his best but its a different beast. Cliff Ramsdel was the first IIRC and he kept blowing head gaskets using the TIII SBEC. I kept the dizzy so maybe that's why she stayed together? Rob did a few but found doing my own worked best.

Interesting on using 8 valve pistons, the compression is in the 7:1 range.

I think a 2.5 TIII is good for an auto and heavy car/van but going to try a 2.2, mainly because I am switching to a 5 speed and I have a few 2.2 pistons kicking around, damaged another piston after having injector issues,
    What is the CR of a stock TIII? I've gotten mixed signals about how well this was going to work when I did it. Quite a few said it wouldn't run with the TIII Cal I had and would destroy the motor, but it runs quite well with good A/F ratios. Just vibrates a lot compared to the BB Cal. When the Neil Emiro cal, even though A/F ratios are good the car vibrates and above 4500RPM it sounds like crap. The boost button cal smoothed it out and I was able to rev up to 6K without it sounding like the motor was going to fly apart, but the A/F ratio was pegged on my AEM UEGO at 10:1.

Also another interesting note. When I had the boost button cal in, I bumped the G-valve up to run around 11-12psi. WHen I put the old cal back in it peaks at 9psi and I didn't touch the g-valve.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    What is the CR of a stock TIII? I've gotten mixed signals about how well this was going to work when I did it. Quite a few said it wouldn't run with the TIII Cal I had and would destroy the motor, but it runs quite well with good A/F ratios. Just vibrates a lot compared to the BB Cal. When the Neil Emiro cal, even though A/F ratios are good the car vibrates and above 4500RPM it sounds like crap. The boost button cal smoothed it out and I was able to rev up to 6K without it sounding like the motor was going to fly apart, but the A/F ratio was pegged on my AEM UEGO at 10:1.

Also another interesting note. When I had the boost button cal in, I bumped the G-valve up to run around 11-12psi. WHen I put the old cal back in it peaks at 9psi and I didn't touch the g-valve.

Stock TIII IIRC is around 8:1 or slighly more, like the 8 valves.

I always set mine around 8:1 ish as I just didn't want to deal with crappy off boost performance. Yours probably runs well with the 2.2 cal because of the lower compression. The TIII has quite a bit of timing Rob told me but if you saw my timing curves, you'd shitt yourself, lol.

My last setup, it would pull like a mofo to 7500 and she was still pulling when I'd shift. That was with a ported head, cams, big intake and header. I put a stock on and it she's done by 6000 rpm with a ported stock manifold, big intake and stage 1 tri flow cams. The stock head is ok but on a 2.5, again, its a bit of a cork.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    You might miss that 2.5 torque for that heavy van...
    I might but the 5 speed will certainly make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    How sketchy is the 2.5 hybrid in comparison? I don't think I buy the idea that 2.5 only belongs in heavy stuff because literally I bought it.

More seriously though, unless your quench is rubbish, you guys are way off on these tunes. If every 2.5 16 valve ever built couldn't take the timing needed to make good power then I would think there is a problem. There must be some 16 valve exceptions out there beyond the 2.5L 8 valves.
    The hybrid isn't sketchy, it just takes a some fabricating to work whereas a TIII is literally a bolt on but you need to either run a dizzy like I did or run the TIII cam and crank sensors, which for an auto, it a little bit hard.

Not sure about the timing, I ran lots of it, more than I should and didnt' have issues with blowing head gaskets etc. Maybe the TIII SBEC is harder to control????? Also, Cliff was playing back in 05 and he was the first to play with a 2.5 TIII IIRC.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Does anybody remember what pistons Cliff R was running when he did the 2.5L TIII back in the day? I seem to remember JE but I might be wrong.

I plan to use the Venolias with ARP studs and Cometic .051" head gasket on mine.

Pretty sure JE's.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I might but the 5 speed will certainly make up for it.

The hybrid isn't sketchy, it just takes a some fabricating to work whereas a TIII is literally a bolt on but you need to either run a dizzy like I did or run the TIII cam and crank sensors, which for an auto, it a little bit hard.

Not sure about the timing, I ran lots of it, more than I should and didnt' have issues with blowing head gaskets etc. Maybe the TIII SBEC is harder to control????? Also, Cliff was playing back in 05 and he was the first to play with a 2.5 TIII IIRC.
    Talking about a crank trigger on the front side. By sketchy I mean, if there are mechanical problems like lack of proper quench, then a 2.5L hybrid would also have issues.

Are there any 2.5L 16 valve records?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Talking about a crank trigger on the front side. By sketchy I mean, if there are mechanical problems like lack of proper quench, then a 2.5L hybrid would also have issues.

Probably Slowe. I believe he was still 2.5 into the 9's.

The quench could be wrong but I never really had detonation issues except for my +40 crapping out and didn't know it until it was too late.

I think one person attempted a crank trigger with a TIII as he was going auto. I just felt going dizzy and SMEC was easier with an auto. Hybrid guys use the dizzy or go aftermarket EFI.

Larry B has his 2.5 RWD hybrid Shadow in the 10's, a few 8 valve 2.5's are in the 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Probably Slowe. I believe he was still 2.5 into the 9's.
    The quench could be wrong but I never really had detonation issues except for my +40 crapping out and didn't know it until it was too late.

I think one person attempted a crank trigger with a TIII as he was going auto. I just felt going dizzy and SMEC was easier with an auto. Hybrid guys use the dizzy or go aftermarket EFI.

Larry B has his 2.5 RWD hybrid Shadow in the 10's, a few 8 valve 2.5's are in the 10's.
    Kinda sounds like 2.5 16 valve is not a problem, its the tunes people are feeding it... Unless the very successful cars were covering something up with octane.

No detonation but you had lots of indicated knock???? I remember you unplugging your sensor on some passes. You have this thing about mixing race gas and pump gas so maybe a full tank of the best stuff would have helped with all that timing. I don't know if I could ever get myself to pay for good fuel.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

How sketchy is the 2.5 hybrid in comparison? I don't think I buy the idea that 2.5 only belongs in heavy stuff because literally I bought it.

More seriously though, unless your quench is rubbish, you guys are way off on these tunes. If every 2.5 16 valve ever built couldn't take the timing needed to make good power then I would think there is a problem. There must be some 16 valve exceptions out there beyond the 2.5L 8 valves.
    My detonation was due to me giving it tons of advance so it was fun on the street, lol. I also didn't realize it but I had an injector going on me, which kept giving me AF and detonation issues and finally showed up when I melted a cylinder because of it. I had the same problem with 8 valves, it was ping off the line and go into full retard and would screw up the runs. I was going to monitor it better but never got that far.

Not sure why Cliff had head gasket issues, that was the least of my worries, lol. Maybe the cals back then weren't as good as they are now plus we have we more access to adjustments, or maybe not.

If anybody is serious about building a TIII with automatic transmission, I have a front side crank trigger setup I would sell. It was made by a 'eyeball' if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    If anybody is serious about building a TIII with automatic transmission, I have a front side crank trigger setup I would sell. It was made by a 'eyeball' if I remember right.
    That makes 2 of us?
    I need to get a picture of mine.

That makes 2 of us?
    I need to get a picture of mine.
    Cool! I will work on getting pics of the setup I have. I had planned to use it until I had a local machine shop modify the bellhousing on a Cliff Ramsdell built A525/A555 hybrid to work with the stock TIII crank sensor. Don't need it anymore. (Plan was to retain a rod shifted L-body beast).

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I just took the crank trigger wheel off this '91 RT I bought a couple months ago. They had it installed for running Megasquirt, and apparently it was working as the car ran, they were trying to tune for the 2.5 TIII then got sidelined by a rusty gas tank, which lead to the owner selling because of more rust they found. The guy I got it started removing the Megasquirt setup to go with AEM then it got sidelined again by life things he had going on.

Anyway, I have the Megasquirt box but no harness lol, so I took the trigger wheel off and plugged all the factory harness back in. The sensor bracket is still there and I can pop the wheel back on easily if anyone needs pics.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't use pistons as a way to verify looking thru the hole, I'd pull the pan and look at the crank for the 2.5 stamping.
    I measured the stroke, just over 4".
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Trigger wheel setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150514_233248.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	55520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150514_233258.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	995.7 KB 
ID:	55521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150514_233327.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	55522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150514_233343.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	55523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150514_233445.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	55524  
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

So is anyone actually running a 2.5 TIII right now? I'm seriously considering putting mine into my Lebaron. Just trying to decide between using the SBEC w/ a flash module, or reuse the Megasquirt that came with it (I found the harness for it, just have to splice it back together). Timing tables in the T3 cal look kinda complicated lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

I have my T1 2.5L block with my TIII head running just fine in my Spirit R/T using the stock harness and a boost button cal.

I think that's what I'm gonna end up doing, splice the '91 TIII computer and engine harness into the '89 body harness and use MP Tune to tune it with.

So, anyone interested in a MS unit w/ an internal map and a base cal on it?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

which ms unit is it

Looks like a MSII
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150712_231846.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	55572  
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12