Thread: Rampage Tailgate No Workey

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Rampage Tailgate No Workey

So I went to unload a buncha Heavy potted plants and stuff from the Rampage RT and when I pulled the tailgate release handle it let out a pop and nothing else happened I figure the plastic retaining clip thingys let go from the pull rods?? But now I cant lower the gate no mater what. Pulled the tail lenses and even the corner fiberglass surrounds but I still cant access the rods. Same thing with the latch mechanism in the center, no access to the release So now what?? I'm thinking of slotting the threaded bottom portion of the stop pins so I can turn them out with a big screwdriver to remove the entire tailgate but not sure if that's the best plan Rampage guys, what'd you do?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Re: Rampage Tailgate No Workey

Alan. You can "TRIP" one side at a time with a customized thin flat blade screw driver but I'd start looking for a replacement T-gate. The screw driver with about a 10" long shank needs about 110* bend about 1 1/2"s from the tip so you can hook and pull. Make the bend so the flat part of the blade is in line with the shank. I salvaged another gate when I scrapped out another one of my Scamps a few years back and glad I did. My latch went south and I fixed it FO EVAH. Made an access panel facing the back glass in one gate and cut an over size plate to cover the hole from the other gate. While I was in there I carved out another hole on the back rear facing side and frenched in an Elizabeth Dole 3rd brake lite where the Plymouth and your Rampage script used to be. Take your time with the screw driver. It's ah virtue remember, Jerry

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Did you check to see which end let go? It's been my experience that the ends in the center let go before the ends at the latches do. I attribute that to more weather exposure above the license plate opening. The rods have simple 90* bends on the ends that the plastic bushing snaps over. With the handle removed, and a lot of patience(and a helper with really small hands), I would think you could "hook" the release arm and pop the latches...

Not that it helps, but I was afraid of just something like this happening on my Scamp, so I made sure when I put it back together I bought new clips...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sounds right to me, not much help, I'm afraid. I had it happen and I replaced the clips but I forget the details of what happened, maybe it was have been a partial failure that warned me to fix it before it got worse . . . .

Could be that your load pulled the sides of the bed in, compressed the two sides such that the latches bound. Maybe put a spreader bar/screw jack across to spread the sides away from the sides of the tail gate.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Thanks for the replies and insight gang I am gonna try my way first turning the bottom end of the hingepin into a flat blade screw. If that doesn't work I'll just drink more and give up I have *at least* three handle assemblies that I have grabbed over the years, barring those working I do have a white gate that I had to have because it was so perfect. I want to avoid that as this one is Rhino-lined inside as well matching the murdered out paint on outside. JohnL, I assure you with the hitch I have under this thing, the bedrails would never bow in. 6 points and 55lbs of steel in that thing. World's heaviest Rampage remember

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Try spreading the sides anyway.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia