Thread: 42LE/A606 problem

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

42LE/A606 problem

After taking down the differential assembly in the 42LE I am building for cleaning/inspection and new axle shaft support bushings I have found a severely bad problem. On both of the side gears (not the pinion gears) there are cracks on some of the gear teeth. For all I know they could have developed 5 minutes after the transmission was driven for the first time and be nothing or they could let loose the first time I put the unit back together and drive the car. Upon searching I am finding the differential guts are all more or less discontinued ? Since these share nothing in common with the 41TE on the final drive end.

There is a parts package p/n 5016367AA that comes back as NLA. The side gears p/n 4593110 also NLA and the pinion gears p/n 4593112. I think the side gears and pinion gears are listed backwards in the parts catalog. One hit on parts voice comes back for the 4593110.

Suggestions ? I am more or less really e'ffing screwed if I cannot find new parts here. I am not buying another transmission to maybe find the same problem. Would have thought at one time Quaife offered a differential for the Prowler crowd but I don't see anything besides a phantom grip when searching.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 42LE/A606 problem

Surprisingly i couldnt find anything online either. Seems crazy. Why not just get it from a used parts dealer?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

So they are discontinued but there are supposedly 2 left out there. Fingers crossed

There's probably about 2 million left in junkyards but good luck with the new ones anyway.

The price of buying another unknown core transmission vs two new gears leans in favor of two new gears. Another core to buy outright would be around $300 and its sold where is as is. Did I tell you how much MD sucks ?

Dealer I called today seems FAR more enthusiastic and helpful about getting things done in a timely manner. Returned call in less than 1 hour, everything was good and available

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

So your issue could be solved with a new differential?
    I know Peloquins has a lsd for the 41te but does not appear on their site the last i checked.
    Contact Gary Peloquin. Last i talked to him they had enough to make 4.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Did I tell you how much MD sucks ?
    Apparently! When i worked in a trans shop we would call up one of 2 or 3 used parts dealers we dealt with and if they didnt already have something on a shelf they would tear down something out of their stockpile and we'd go pick it up.

Wayne, the 606 guts are mostly the same as 604 guts but the diff section is completely different and nothing from a 604 will help in that area.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Well, sorry that didn't help much
    then.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

The 606 is a pretty niche/orphan little box. Those LH cars looked like they were designed for AWD or RWD down the road but with the daimler buyout we never got to see where it was all leading and got the LX cars instead. Perfectly decent cars in their own right, but the 606 cars make me a little curious about what would have been. I dont think they were designed to stay FWD forever.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Well, sorry that didn't help much
    then.
    Its all good. When I made the finding the first thing I did was see if quaife made a drop in differential. I would have thought there was something out there at one point because of the prowler crowd but I guess they never pushed hard enough for one. Did not think about Peloquin but alas they don't have anything anyways.

The 606/42LE is its own unique thing in many respects as I have come to learn during this adventure. Thankfully with the 604/41TE and 42RLE at least the parts situation is pretty sound except for the really odd/random stuff. In all honesty I am going waaay overkill on this build because I started with an unknown core and the desire to NOT have to do anything twice. All said and done just estimating by part count ~60%~ of this unit will be entirely brand new parts inside along with just about everything Sonnax makes that doesn't require reaming/oversizing. I hope the end result is worth it