Thread: GLH charging issue

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

GLH charging issue

So I had a dead battery recently, and replaced it. Then out driving not long after the volt meter in the car started moving down, and the car finally lost all power and died. Replaced the alternator.

That was about two weeks ago (and less than 30 miles ago). Now driving tonight the volt meter was down near the red for a bit, but eventually went up to where it should be. When I drove home in the dark with the lights on, it dipped again, and kept dropping. Made it home barely, not even enough power left to light up the radio clock.

so the battery is new, and so is the alternator. Where do I start looking for the problem? It is a stock 85 GLH.

turbo addict

Re: GLH charging issue

Does it have a fuse link to the alternator?

leading to it? Not sure, I'll have to check.

turbo addict

sounds like the voltage regulator is starting to fail

I'd doubt a little bit of fail here & there with a fuseable link - that should go like a bad light bulb

reg is built into the PM but an older style dodge regulator is an easy swap in with the correct pig tail to splice to the field wires

Hybrid booster

I am betting on the field wires, 90% of the td's we have come in it's them. should be green. when you open one up there are only a couple of tiny chords in them. these break over time, 30years now. get yourself some good wire and run new ones all the way to the connecter. i bet this will fix your problem

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I believe there is a big mamma jamma one built into that cable near the battery. I've had a bad cable from the alt to the battery before and that caused an issue just like the one in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    I am betting on the field wires, 90% of the td's we have come in it's them. should be green. when you open one up there are only a couple of tiny chords in them. these break over time, 30years now. get yourself some good wire and run new ones all the way to the connecter. i bet this will fix your problem
    Will you generally get a code for that? Something about the battery sense signal?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I'd have to look to see for the older ones, but the code for my '91 Daytona is 41. Had to chase that one down a couple times recently. Rebuilt the alternator, went through the cables very thoroughly, and finally ended up replacing the SBEC the other day. So far so good now.

For the GLH, I would start by inspecting all the wiring, and if they all check out, swap the power module.

Ok, I'll take a stab at the wiring. Is the voltage regulator/power module something that's still available?

turbo addict

I had an issue with Matchbox in that almost every time I took a long drive it would no longer charge. The voltage regulator would be replaced with the same issue...even 3 alternators later. At the beginning of racing season last year the SAME issue! Sometimes it would not charge, then drop the hood and it would! Ended up being the wires going to the regulator! I could bend them down or to either side and no charge, but when I pulled them upwards it would! I zip tied it up and had no problems for several months. Went to a O Rerilly and they had the plug in to it...spliced it into place of the old one and never an issue since! Hopefully it will be that easy.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I believe there is a big mamma jamma one built into that cable near the battery. I've had a bad cable from the alt to the battery before and that caused an issue just like the one in the OP.

Will you generally get a code for that? Something about the battery sense signal?
    I have never seen a code for that on the early cars(pre 87)

The field wires are the two small wires connected to your alternator. there is not a fuseable link to them back to the bulk connector. replace them and make sure you use solder do not use butt connectors or twist them together.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Ok, I'll take a stab at the wiring. Is the voltage regulator/power module something that's still available?
    power modules are still available, but can be finicky at best. I have seen new ones not work properly. start with the wiring, its the easiest and cheapest to fix. if running the 2 new field wires does not fix your problem i would consider wiring in and aftermarket voltage regulator. they are inexpensive and very easy to do.

remember that the less wires you move around on this car the better off you will be. after 30yrs and a ton of engine heat most the wiring is in pretty bad shape.

The field wires are the two small wires connected to your alternator. there is not a fuseable link to them back to the bulk connector. replace them and make sure you use solder do not use butt connectors or twist them together.
    Thanks for that tip.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post

Thanks for pointing this out. I should have been more clear. There is a fusible link in the power line coming off of the alternator to the B+ terminal if I'm not mistaken.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Thanks for that tip.
    no problemo. omni's are notorious for this. I am not sure why, but they seem to be the ones that have the most problems with these wires.

Hybrid booster

Did you get it fixed?

Haven't had time yet. Should later in the week.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

What I ran into was a weak pin in the LM plug on the voltage sense wire.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

power modules are still available, but can be finicky at best. I have seen new ones not work properly. start with the wiring, its the easiest and cheapest to fix. if running the 2 new field wires does not fix your problem i would consider wiring in and aftermarket voltage regulator. they are inexpensive and very easy to do.

remember that the less wires you move around on this car the better off you will be. after 30yrs and a ton of engine heat most the wiring is in pretty bad shape.
    so it wasn't the field wires, and it was starting to get beyond my repair skill level, so I took it to a nearby shop that I like, and the aftermarket regulator is what they suggested. I trust them, and the feedback here seems to suggest it is common. But what went bad in the original setup that makes an external one necessary? I guess I don't understand what this fix does.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

The regulator is built in to the pm. The external one takes it's place when it goes bad and can't regulate the voltage.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....