Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air to water intercooler in a wagon

turbo addict

Re: Air to water intercooler in a wagon

Jeremy, here's the lower i/c hose we have on my friends van. It's a 2.0" to 2.5" 90 degree reducer/expander, and a 2.5" to 3.0" 90 degree reducer/expander to fit on the 600hp kit from Frozenboost.com.

We actually had to shorten the bends where they meet at the 2.5" side to get them to fit but I think the frozenboost/siliconeintake hoses are really nice with smooth bends.

The upper hose is a 3.0 to 2.5 or 2.25" reducer and that's it, pretty much bolted right onto the TB of the 2 piece intake.

We welded one of my aluminum talon BOV flanges to the end tank of the i/c.

Here's a 1st round of intstall

It functioned like this, but we've since moved the pump to the low point of the system and gotten rid of the remote cap setup and added a volvo overflow tank as a fill/reservoir like AJ has pictured. We drilled a hole in the top corner of the water end tank on the i/c and plumb that to the top nipple on the reservoir to bleed air out of the i/c water core area, I'm not sure where AJ has his feeding from but we felt this was the most beneficial place as you don't want air in the i/c water part. We should really get some new pics of the new setup up instead of showing all these old versions.

I'm putting one in my SL but the lower hose will be different as I am using a GT30R and a TBI header setup.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 04-29-2017 at 12:30 PM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Nice Jay, thanks for the pics.

I noticed that frozen boost sells a heat exchanger for A/W IC setups that is 1" thick. I wonder if this would fit where the A/C condenser used to be?

http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-...or-p-1002.html

EDIT:

Possible A/W intercooler for TIII? I may actually try this for my white Spirit R/T.

http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water...ers-p-214.html
    Last edited by iTurbo; 02-22-2015 at 06:03 PM.

turbo addict

That 12x24x1 is what I'm putting in my SL, it'll be mounted in front of my ac condensor probably going to use 2 fans to push air through it and a full size rad instead of the T2 rad. We use the 12x12x2 on the minivans in front of the radiator and leave the a/c condenser uncovered or put the trans cooler in front of it.

One thing I forgot to add the air filter pictured has a 3" OD pipe running from it to the turbo. Right now it's factory rubber hose that's 2.5" id but we need to get the 3" aluminum pipes cut and fitted to pick up flow to the turbo. So there is room for 3" intake tubing.

Yea they have a center Inlet/outlet version as well as an Opposite inlet/outlet one as well. JohnL has some pics of one mounted up to his Masi motor. I've been thinking about using one on my masi setup instead of the big treadstone air/air though I'm not sure if I want to go that route on that engine just yet as I'm still messing around with getting the plenum fabricated up.

- - - Updated - - -

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    2 hose clamps and the way it is in my friends van if we can't see the timing window 1 bolt and it slides over out of the way, don't even have to disconnect the water. Like AJ says how often do you time the car.
    If I can't see my timing window, all I'd have to do is undo the the air charge hose clamps at the ic, undo the lower support bracket and loosen up the middle bolt on my two-piece lower ic support bracket and I can move it out of the way enough and not open up the water system.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    So on AJ's setup, are the intercooler pipes reduced to nil? Just a few couplers then?

I'm definitely going to look into this for my next setup.
    What is "nil?"

I have one 2.5" to 2.25" silicone reducer (throttle body to ic), one 2.5" to 2.5" silicone coupler (ic to charge pipe), one 2.5" 45* steel pipe (trimmed to fit and a 3/4" barb welded on for my factory bov), and one 2.5" to 2" silicone reducer (charge pipe to turbo).

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    It functioned like this, but we've since moved the pump to the low point of the system and gotten rid of the remote cap setup and added a volvo overflow tank as a fill/reservoir like AJ has pictured. We drilled a hole in the top corner of the water end tank on the i/c and plumb that to the top nipple on the reservoir to bleed air out of the i/c water core area, I'm not sure where AJ has his feeding from but we felt this was the most beneficial place as you don't want air in the i/c water part. We should really get some new pics of the new setup up instead of showing all these old versions.
    I have two bleeds in both my van and wagon AWIC set ups. On the wagon I have one on the very top of the IC core to bleed the air out like you told me. If you can't see it in the wagon photos you can see it in my SRT-4 van build thread because it's the first AWIC I installed in the van and transferred it to the wagon. The second bleed it at the top on the brass fitting feeding the heat exchanger. Basically the way my set up is plumbed is the pump sucks or is fed from the reservoir and the heat exchanger. You can see in my pic of the pump two hoses at the bottom of the pump. My bleeds are T'd at the reservoir-one from the ic and one from the heat exchanger. My pump then pushes fluid through the ic. I have restrictors in the bleed lines from the ic and the heat exchanger so I don't get too much un-cooled water flowing into the reservoir for the pump to suck in and push through the ic.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    What is "nil?"
    Oh you know, instead of 6 feet of intercooler piping, 12 inches or less would be nice and the cost savings on piping might make it worth it. This was quite expensive:

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Oh you know, instead of 6 feet of intercooler piping, 12 inches or less would be nice and the cost savings on piping might make it worth it. This was quite expensive:
    6 feet? Pfft, amateur hour. I had 12 FEET in my mini-van. ;-) It was 2" diameter and I wanted to go to 2.5" when I went to the 2.4 and wasn't going to do another 12 feet in 2.5" so I went air to water.

The 1.5' piece from the turbo to the lower pipe is missing from this pic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12