Thread: some sort of broken vac hose no idea what it is 87 lebaron turbo

Garrett booster

some sort of broken vac hose no idea what it is 87 lebaron turbo

Right so any of you recognize THIS:

and if you can tell me what it is so I can get a new one obviously its broken. car idles rough, accelerates sluggish but once it hits speed its fine.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: some sort of broken vac hose no idea what it is 87 lebaron turbo

It has been a long time since I've had a log TI car, but on the TII stuff that's the main vac point that pretty much everything is taken off of. You need to get that fixed ASAP. I thought I saw some for sale recently, but I don't remember where. Most of us just end up using a vacuum block and some new silicone line to run new lines.

turbo addict

easy fix, Take the 4 port connector hose carefully off the round vac manifold that screws into the intake, Now take a 5/32 drill bit in a chuck or your drill, and hand drill it down the hole where the vac line went. When you get to the bottom of the line about .250" down the line should pull out of the 4 port connector. If you do it right you should be left with 4 clean holes. Then you can go to NAPA and get some 5/32 OD diameter nylon vac line, shove it in the holes and run it where it needs to go. Or you can order rolls of nylon or poly line here:
    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...bing_-a-_Hoses

You want straight nylon or straight poly.

Garrett booster

so basically i just rip this broken thing out. run 4 poly lines and thats it? what would I need a vacuum block for?

turbo addict

No, you're drilling out the lines that broke off in the 4 way splitter on the right of your picture. By using that size drill it'll pull what was originally inserted in there without damaging the body of the housing so you can stick 4 lines back in there in their own spot. Then put the 4 way splitter and the rubber hose back on the round thing that's screwed into your intake.

you don't need a vac block. IMO they're stupid and just make the vac lines longer.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    No, you're drilling out the lines that broke off in the 4 way splitter on the right of your picture. By using that size drill it'll pull what was originally inserted in there without damaging the body of the housing so you can stick 4 lines back in there in their own spot. Then put the 4 way splitter and the rubber hose back on the round thing that's screwed into your intake.

you don't need a vac block. IMO they're stupid and just make the vac lines longer.
    ah ha! got it, thanks! this is why I love this forum, so many helpful people

Garrett booster

5/32 line is way too big for the 4 port splitter. headed to o'reilly's to see if i an find a match.

turbo addict

better to use a hand powered drill or turn the chuck of your electric drill by hand

useing the electric drill motor could cause the holes you need to become to large or out of round due to the bit getting hot enough to soften the plastic

a little plastic pipe cement (very little) on the sides of the lines you need to insert into the 4 way splitter will help seal the joints and keep them from pulling back out

plastic model cement dosen't work so good as it's for a diff type of plastic

Garrett booster

upon closer inspection the 4 way splitter is actually SPLIT which means it CANNOT be salvaged for use in any way shape or form. I am trying to jury rig something using a 5 way vacuum coupler, some connectors, thermal tape, and a lot of profanity.

turbo addict

anything you can connect vacume supply to and run the 3-4 needed lines from will do in a pinch

fords used to have all sorts of handy stuff for this - usually on the firewall - usuall cheep or free at the scrapyard

turbo addict

also ,

I see you still have the plastic thingy on your manifold the vacume taps from with the small line to the fuel regulator and vac splitter

be carefull when threading that thing into the intake

the plastic gets wider above the thread on the bottom of it and the plastic is strong enough to split your manifold if you try to thread the plastic piece in far enough to get it tight

threaded in with some T tape is good enough

you know how I know you can split the log manifold tightening it to much - right ?

Garrett booster

AAARRRGHHHH I am just going to buy a vacuum block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turbo addict

I have 5 or 6 of them in my shop, some are already drilled out waiting for new vac lines to be installed.