Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Consulier guys...what wheel and tire size are you running?????

turbo addict

Re: Consulier guys...what wheel and tire size are you running?????

You are right on the 205/50/15....many brands of these. Just the 225 ones are hard to find.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I hope you are right. I could have a bad woodshop accident and still be able to count the number of 205/50r15 sets of tires that I sold in 7 years using my fingers.
    Probably because a huge proportion of driving enthusiasts buy tires online now. I wouldnt blame anyone for not stocking a single 205/50/15 in a retail store.

Johnny, 225/45/15 is pretty available but all of those tires have very low treadlife and i feel they are a very short tire height for a Consulier. My .02...

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

The actual tread on the asphalt width for 205/50-15's varies 1.5" depending which type of 205 it is. Width tends to get wider as the tire gets stickier from the specs I looked through at tirerack's site.

I wouldn't be surprised if the widest of the available 205's are the same width as those now discontinued high tread wear 225's.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Probably because a huge proportion of driving enthusiasts buy tires online now. I wouldnt blame anyone for not stocking a single 205/50/15 in a retail store.

Johnny, 225/45/15 is pretty available but all of those tires have very low treadlife and i feel they are a very short tire height for a Consulier. My .02...
    This was in the heyday of the size. I think part of the issue was that I lived in MI and sold higher end tires. Not everyone wants to put Michelins on a car that will use them only 6-8mo out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    The actual tread on the asphalt width for 205/50-15's varies 1.5" depending which type of 205 it is. Width tends to get wider as the tire gets stickier from the specs I looked through at tirerack's site.

I wouldn't be surprised if the widest of the available 205's are the same width as those now discontinued high tread wear 225's.
    There can be a huge variance in section width between manufacturers. I have seen the exact thing you're talking about. A 205 that's as wide as someone else's 225. wheel width etc. does come into play when you're looking at the specs though so make sure that you're comparing apples to apples.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I actually own some 225/50/15 Kumho ASTs and can vouch that they are no wider than the widest 205/50s. Also, the 225/45/15s i mentioned are all basically 'cheater' 225s and run more like a 245-255 in actual width. Most people say you should have 9" wide wheels to get the full benefit of them vs 205s!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

The 205 are 8.4 wide...like most 205's.
    The 225 are 9.2 wide, making it 3/4 inch wider.
    Works for me.

Drove 100 miles home on them after having them installed yesterday evening.
    They seem to handle pretty well. Didn't get too crazy.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

...So, Johnny, how are those Kumho's holding up?
    I've got about 6k on the Falken's and they're completely done. Who am I kidding, they were done at 5k.

I'm think I'm going back to the 205/50/15's in the rear. Looks like I can get a better ( and just as sticky if not more so ) tire. Specifically looking at the Nitto NT NeoGen or the Yokohama S.Drive. The Nitto has a bit better reviews...

Hybrid booster

The kumho's are good , yokohama has a bunch of 225 15's. I would stay staggered.

Garrett booster

I've got 16's on mine. 225/50 up front and 245/50 rear. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I think they're discontinued in that size now.

Hybrid booster

That's great to know mpi_duster the blue car has 16" s and there is a very limited selection in 205 n 225/ 16. Was not sure how much rubbing I would get with 225 in front.
    Jacob is running 225/15 on all 4 corners on 7" and 8" wheels. . He says rubs up front under hard braking when turning.

You get any rubbing? I am still worried that 16" high performance tires are gonna continue to get harder to find.

15"s are easy cuz they use that size for multiple spec racing classes, miata , e30 etc.

turbo addict

Just got a set of (4) Proxes RA1 225/50ZR15 tires for this coming summer autocross events.
    Going on my Revolution wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proxesra1tires.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	347.6 KB 
ID:	57200  

What's the tread wear on those these days? I picked up a few used sets a few years back that were 205's from the Miata guys for cheap. I've been using them here and there for autocross for the last few years.

turbo addict

utqg: 100 aa a

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    That's great to know mpi_duster the blue car has 16" s and there is a very limited selection in 205 n 225/ 16. Was not sure how much rubbing I would get with 225 in front.
    Jacob is running 225/15 on all 4 corners on 7" and 8" wheels. . He says rubs up front under hard braking when turning.

You get any rubbing? I am still worried that 16" high performance tires are gonna continue to get harder to find.

15"s are easy cuz they use that size for multiple spec racing classes, miata , e30 etc.
    I haven't had any rubbing upfront when turning. But, I've also not had the car out on the track.

Mitsu booster

I manage a wholesale tire distribution location and I am a "tire professional". lol The 15's have dwindled away and will continue to do so. Almost no modern day vehicles come with 15" wheels and the ones that do won't have a size we can run. The 205/50R15 will be around for quite some time because it still has a large replacement market. Even the Spec Miata, and Spec E30 race series use that size tire. I race a Spec E30 as well and have about 40 205/50R15 Toyo RR's in the garage as we speak. lol

turbo addict

40 tires? Why so many spares?

Hybrid booster

Sounds like the plan. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting a race setup sometime in the future as well, and turning down the boost to keep the street tires alive if the Nitto's start to go south quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    utqg: 100 aa a
    So they did raise them, mine are a 50. I think something changed in the rules for autocross so they changed the treadwear.

turbo addict

They *might* raise them again because I *think* the new rules for street touring says the UTQG must be 200+.

turbo addict

Right. But I don't need to worry about the rules, as I have no idea what class I run in so I am just going to do Time Only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast