Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

Hybrid booster

Re: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

My buddy's older brother got an 83 GLH new as his first car. My buddy got a new 86 turbo Z with t-tops. It was bada$$. he worked at an audio shop. He won quite a few db contests with his turbo Z u till a Cadillac swished it. I did'n quite have the funds to by new. Got my first TM 87 shelby charger in 1990. Best $3,700 I ever spent.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Upload pictures to photobucket, then use the link/url to link to the picture.
    you know me Harry, what the hell is a photobucket?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by WLKivett View Post
    My buddy's older brother got an 83 GLH new as his first car. My buddy got a new 86 turbo Z with t-tops. It was bada$$. he worked at an audio shop. He won quite a few db contests with his turbo Z u till a Cadillac swished it. I did'n quite have the funds to by new. Got my first TM 87 shelby charger in 1990. Best $3,700 I ever spent.
    yeah I actually had a lebaron g_t_s 4 door sedan that I bought when I was in the army in 91 but It overheated and i left on the side of the freeway in ohio. I wonder whatever happened to it

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    you know me Harry, what the hell is a photobucket?
    http://photobucket.com/

Then upload the pictures.

Let me know when you're at that point, then we can move onto the next steps.

Hybrid booster

Ready I think...

Hybrid booster

Most, if not all, of these pictures are at least as old as august last year. there has been many more improvements and changes since then. I do not think I will ever be done modifying/improving the car.

- - - Updated - - -

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/tu...ona Turbo Z T3

turbo addict

Ready I think...

First, to go to the picture you want to upload in your photo bucket account.

Then, go to the DIRECT, highlight and copy of the URL/link. You RIGHT click after you highlight to get the copy menu up.

Then go to the thread and click on the little picture for inserting the photo

Then window will pop up

Paste the URL/link in there and click ok

When you see this, you're done. When you click reply, picture will show.
    This is also how you can manually type in the code to get your picture showing,, instead of clicking on the "insert image" icon.

There is a limit on how many picture you can post in one thread, so stick with 5 pictures per post and you'll be fine.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    First, to go to the picture you want to upload in your photo bucket account. There is a limit on how many picture you can post in one thread, so stick with 5 pictures per post and you'll be fine.

Thanks Harry,

I will do that when I add new pictures, but for right now I am just going to leave that link on here. It is working, yes?
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 02-17-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Hybrid booster

Most, if not all, of these pictures are at least as old as august last year. there has been many more improvements and changes since then. I do not think I will ever be done modifying/improving the car.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    What is the rear end lock down kit?
    I used the rear seat belt holes. They already are reinforced anchor points. I do plan on running another set just in case of failure. It would suck if one came loose jacking up one side of the car when going down the track.

Last edited by turboshelbys; 02-18-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Hybrid booster

Notice the hatch key? I removed it and all the hardware and installed the airshock fill.

turbo addict

What is the purpose of the rear suspension "lock-down"? Maybe I missed something in the build...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    What is the purpose of the rear suspension "lock-down"? Maybe I missed something in the build...
    First off, Big Kudos go to Gary Donovan for 90% of my build. He is a great friend and mentor.

Traction and stabilization. Traction for fwd cars, the more weight on the front tires the better. With that being said you also do not want the rear end sky high for stability reasons. Also when launching and shifting you will lose some power, traction, and some time when the rear end squats. I can also control how much weight i want on each tire depending on how the car hooks up at different tracks and lanes. If you have ever raced, you know how frustrating this can be. And yes I have a portable scale Proform 67650.

Gary Donovan has a great write up on his website.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/traction.html

If you look at this video you will see exactly what I mean, this run was with airshocks only, notice the squat and bounce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5Gw7K0ufo

This run is when I installed the lock down. A lot less movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6biRH8iRr4

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

It would be nice if air shocks were actually good at being shocks instead of acting like 80% spring and 20% shocks. The air shocks on the back of my SRT caravan suck pretty hard. Oh well.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I do plan on running coil overs (working on what spring weight I need). They will definitely be easier to manage, but these old school tricks still work great.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    It would be nice if air shocks were actually good at being shocks instead of acting like 80% spring and 20% shocks. The air shocks on the back of my SRT caravan suck pretty hard. Oh well.
    I agree without putting weight or simulated weight(lock down) on them, bounce bounce bounce

turbo addict

First off, Big Kudos go to Gary Donovan for 90% of my build. He is a great friend and mentor.

Traction and stabilization. Traction for fwd cars, the more weight on the front tires the better. With that being said you also do not want the rear end sky high for stability reasons. Also when launching and shifting you will lose some power, traction, and some time when the rear end squats. I can also control how much weight i want on each tire depending on how the car hooks up at different tracks and lanes. If you have ever raced, you know how frustrating this can be. And yes I have a portable scale Proform 67650.

If you look at this video you will see exactly what I mean, this run was with airshocks only, notice the squat and bounce

Ah...so you are using them as limiting straps because you are using air shocks that when filled extend the suspension to the point that it almost (and can) overextends.

I know a few of the "old school" tricks and have used and still use a few. You are right, there is very little wrong with them and they do still work. However, times and knowledge have come a long way and there are methods and parts that do as good, if not a better job. This has a few things going for it: it's simple, it's cheap, it's fairly light, it can work, and you seem to already have an understanding of what it does and how it does it.

I just didn't know the reasoning behind it because I haven't seen people do this in a while.

turbo addict

Actually, the stiffer the rear, the sooner the weight will be transferred to the rear (been there, done that). As long as there is movement (squat), no weight is actually shifted to the rear until the squat stops. Lower ride height and longer wheel base transfers less weight to the rear as well. I'm giving away some of my secrets that allowed me to cut 1.9 60's on 300 tread wear tires. I plan on 1.8's or better with the same type of tire whenever I get it going again!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Ah...so you are using them as limiting straps because you are using air shocks that when filled extend the suspension to the point that it almost (and can) overextends.
    Kinda.

I pulled the car down with 15psi in the shocks, tighten my links then add air to create a stiffer rear end. the air shock bladders are taking the brunt of the compression. The shocks themselves barely extend.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    Actually, the stiffer the rear, the sooner the weight will be transferred to the rear (been there, done that). As long as there is movement (squat), no weight is actually shifted to the rear until the squat stops. Lower ride height and longer wheel base transfers less weight to the rear as well. I'm giving away some of my secrets that allowed me to cut 1.9 60's on 300 tread wear tires. I plan on 1.8's or better with the same type of tire whenever I get it going again!
    Interesting, So you believe there is more loss with a stiffer rear end in a FWD? I would think if a car squats 4-5inchs vs 1-2 inches, the 1-2 inches(less transfer) would run quicker, no? Aerodynamics would come into play as well correct? if the rear end dips down, front end comes up, more air under the car, more air forcing the rear end down(longer travel) creating more resistance? I would think and believe a stiffer suspension would provide better times.
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 02-18-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast