Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

Hybrid booster

1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

Thanks to James and Cindy at FWDPerformance for all the help with my project.

Dyno run in my T3 powered 1986 Daytona.

Aem EMS-4 Stand Alone tuner.

474whp@7000RPM 545hp@Crank

26psi with a 60/40 93oct/E85 blend

Stock intake manifold, fuel rail, and exhaust manifold.

Finally able to get some full passes in with the wider sticker drag radials and get my profec spec 2 to control boost.

Car is capable of so much more, but I do not want to push my luck with the stock T3 rods. I have a fully built race motor to go in, this was just a test and tune motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6biRH8iRr4

Last edited by turboshelbys; 02-14-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

A little history...

I bought this car in 1999 for $500 from the backlot of a kia dealership.

1986 dodge daytona turbo z c/s. Originally a white ext maroon int, turbo i, 5 speed manual trans car. After blowing a hole in the a525 trans housing, trans was upgraded to a heavy duty a568 getrag unit and a spirit r/t stock clutch, boost was also increased to 14psi from the stock 9psi. Car ran very well for about a year. The boost and aggressive driving finally took its toll on the original engine(had 125k on it).

Upgraded to a t2 motor from a 88 shelby z and a new turbo from tu. Car ran like a dream.

After that i bought a spirit r/t. That was it, so much easier to make power with the dohc motor. It had a stock 1991 dohc motor with a custom cal.(set at 20psi), 20 inj., and 3" mb exhaust. This was installed as a test fit/function before paint work was done.
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 02-14-2015 at 10:08 PM.

boostaholic

Awesome! Would love to hear more details on the setup. Have anymore pics of this monster?

Hybrid booster

Since I am very lazy, I only posted pics here:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...urbo-z-t3.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Awesome! Would love to hear more details on the setup. Have anymore pics of this monster?
    I also cant wait to install your intake Right now I am just running a stocker

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I've been wondering what was going to come out of those youtube videos you've been uploading. Have to admit i was not guessing numbers that high from the videos, very nice!

What cams and turbo?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Cam are stockers, head is ported, turbo is a godspeed gt35, I know, I know, but it has behaved very well so far. I was not sure how big I wanted to go on the turbo so it did not make sense to fork out $1500 untill I was happy with the size that would work on my combo. I am ordering a comp triple ball bearing very soon. Again this was just my test motor, most of the parts on it are stock stuff or whatever I had laying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdol8vlF16w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5Gw7K0ufo

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I've been wondering what was going to come out of those youtube videos you've been uploading. Have to admit i was not guessing numbers that high from the videos, very nice!
    what #s would you expect from a cell phone video?

It just didnt have any drama with the engine looking like it was about to tear out of the engine bay or anything like that. Usually if something is making a lot of power it LOOKS like it in the dyno video even if you dont show any numbers. That's all i was trying to say.

Im surprised you're making peak power @ 7000 on stock cams. Makes me wonder if there is any point to aftermarket cams for 99% of builds, since usually the whole point of a cam on a turbo engine is to move the powerband up.

Hybrid booster

What do you mean don't show the #'s? Have I not posted a couple of my dyno sheets? If I knew there was going to be doubt on the #'s I would have had a 3rd party come in to verify. Next time I will pan to the screen to show the #'s. What would I have to gain by putting up bogus #'s? This attitude right here is why I stay off the boards.

We dyno tons of cars in the 450hp range and none of them sound like they are coming apart. I guess its quality of the build and tune.

Pretty much ever car in this video was in the 400-600hp range, all of them sound fine to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AlKgOvfjM

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    What do you mean don't show the #'s? Have I not posted a couple of my dyno sheets? If I knew there was going to be doubt on the #'s I would have had a 3rd party come in to verify. Next time I will pan to the screen to show the #'s. What would I have to gain by putting up bogus #'s? This attitude right here is why I stay off the boards.

We dyno tons of cars in the 450hp range and none of them sound like they are coming apart. I guess its quality of the build and tune.

Pretty much ever car in this video was in the 400-600hp range, all of them sound fine to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AlKgOvfjM
    He is talking about chassis and engine movement, not sound. So you have posted a dyno chart? I wanna see

The part of the story where another R/T got parted out seems missing?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    He is talking about chassis and engine movement, not sound. So you have posted a dyno chart? I wanna see

The part of the story where another R/T got parted out seems missing?
    in post #4 I have linked

turbo addict

It just didnt have any drama with the engine looking like it was about to tear out of the engine bay or anything like that. Usually if something is making a lot of power it LOOKS like it in the dyno video even if you dont show any numbers. That's all i was trying to say.

Im surprised you're making peak power @ 7000 on stock cams. Makes me wonder if there is any point to aftermarket cams for 99% of builds, since usually the whole point of a cam on a turbo engine is to move the powerband up.
    I guess the ported head and decent sized turbo moved peaked power to the right even with stock cams.

Hybrid booster

If you look at my build pictures you can see why my car isn't flopping and twitching. 6 point roll cage, reinforced front end(2x4 box tube 1/4thick), and rear end lock down kit.

I didn't just take a t3 motor and slam it in and and run it. Everything on this car has been replaced with new parts and I do mean everything.

I am also running an excellent stand alone system with unbelievable tuning capabilities and adjustments(AEM EMS-4)

If you look at these two videos, you can see the rear suspension spring up and down. This was before I finished the old school lock down kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5Gw7K0ufo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdol8vlF16w

after lock down kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6biRH8iRr4

Hybrid booster

here is the very first pull we did. this was @36psi up to 5450rpm without having tuned timing or fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgFcF8LiDDw

I was not trying to accuse you of misleading anyone. I just happened to notice the videos you were uploading well before you actually posted any information about anything and since the videos themselves show no numbers, i was left to guess and did not guess the car was performing as well as it was. This is just a casual observation, not an insult or questioning your results. As Brent said i was mostly looking at engine movement.

What is the rear end lock down kit?

Hybrid booster

Sweet car, 86 Zs have always been a favorite of mine.

Hybrid booster

Also, anyone who knows me will tell you that I do not build my cars half A$$ed. Before I even start messing with engine/performance mods(except mild stuff) I make sure the rest of the car will handle the extra power. I have been in some very serious crashes in both my racing and personal life and no doubt this has changed my approach when I build a car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WLKivett View Post
    Sweet car, 86 Zs have always been a favorite of mine.
    Thanks, mine too! This was my very first TD.
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 02-17-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Hybrid booster

I was not trying to accuse you of misleading anyone. I just happened to notice the videos you were uploading well before you actually posted any information about anything and since the videos themselves show no numbers, i was left to guess and did not guess the car was performing as well as it was. This is just a casual observation, not an insult or questioning your results. As Brent said i was mostly looking at engine movement.

What is the rear end lock down kit?
    Trust me engine is not going anywhere. If you look at the pics I have posted you can see where I added the extra strength. It is also locked in on all four corners with PB mounts.

The lock down kit is old school, taken from Gary Donovan. Airshocks being held down by cables and adj. minimizing rear end travel, but still allowing the suspension to work.
    post #14 second picture
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...urbo-z-t3.html

If I could figure out how to post pics on here I would.

turbo addict

Thank, mine too! This was my very first TD.[/QUOTE]

Nice ride!! '84 Daytona turbo that I bought in '86 was my first TD. That car still gets talked about by those that remember it. Spanked a bunch of V8 powered cars with it!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    If I could figure out how to post pics on here I would.

Upload pictures to photobucket, then use the link/url to link to the picture.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast