Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Again, as I stated before, my master kill if for my own personal safety. I did not install it per any regulations.
    This could get you in trouble- If the car doesn't require it but you install one anyway then the rules will apply.

Like the 3" seat belts. Not required for a 12 second but if you install them and they are out of date you get nailed in tech.

Insanity; you can race with 40-50 year old factory 2" belts but not 3 year old 3" race belts.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    This could get you in trouble- If the car doesn't require it but you install one anyway then the rules will apply.

Like the 3" seat belts. Not required for a 12 second but if you install them and they are out of date you get nailed in tech.

Insanity; you can race with 40-50 year old factory 2" belts but not 3 year old 3" race belts.
    For sure, but when I installed it I did look up the rules, and according to the rules, I am within spec. Now getting tech's to agree with that might take some convincing
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 07-21-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Hybrid booster

Raised boost to 28psi and Fuel cut to 8000RPM. Best pass to date with the automatic and this was done after 2 hrs of tuning, car was superhot and tired. Car feels great and finally found that curve Working on the 2-step right now and heading to the track on Sunday.

turbo addict

Nice "curve"!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Sure looks like no point to aftermarket cams on a TIII if you ask me...

Kinda funny the 'curve' ended up peaking right where you let off on the first dyno sheet. It's not climbing past that, but it's not falling very far either! You're probably going to be limited by your 'safe' rpm potential here because if you were to upshift at that 7400 rpm, with the 3spd auto you'd drop all the way down to ~4300 rpm which is ~100hp down from 7400! Although it probably wouldnt go quite that low because your converter probably won't go that low with 350+ tq across it. So even with the gradual power loss at higher rpm, your car would still go faster if you shifted higher than 7400 rpm.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Sure looks like no point to aftermarket cams on a TIII if you ask me...

Kinda funny the 'curve' ended up peaking right where you let off on the first dyno sheet. It's not climbing past that, but it's not falling very far either! You're probably going to be limited by your 'safe' rpm potential here because if you were to upshift at that 7400 rpm, with the 3spd auto you'd drop all the way down to ~4300 rpm which is ~100hp down from 7400! Although it probably wouldnt go quite that low because your converter probably won't go that low with 350+ tq across it. So even with the gradual power loss at higher rpm, your car would still go faster if you shifted higher than 7400 rpm.
    I am curious, where do you get your calculations from? What #'s are you plugging in?

When I was at the track the last time I steadily shifted at 6900rpm and my lowest rpm drop was 4774, according to the logs.
    Last edited by turboshelbys; 08-18-2015 at 09:44 PM.

turbo addict

I wouldn't necessarily say there's no point in aftermarket cams in a TIII. I think, just as in any case, it depends on what you want out of the engine.

Well, based on one guy in the past who actually broke his unobtanium tIII rocker arms in half at 9200 rpm, i'd say there's only so far you can go up the rpm range with this valvetrain, and if these stock cams weren't still making decent power at 8000-8500 i would try just retarding them a little and see what happens!

I just use online gearing calculators. You need the gear ratios (2.69, 1.55, and 1.0 iirc), the 'ring and pinion' ratio (3.02?) and your rpm and tire size.

Or you can do 1.55 (2nd gear) divided by 2.69 (1st gear) = .57 so if you had no converter slip your rpm after the 1-2 upshift would be .57 of whatever you shifted at. 7400 X 0.57 = ~4300.

But with converter slip it will never go that low. My 2.4 caravan will stall up to 4800 rpm and the converter in that is supposedly a stock turbo converter. So i would probably never drop below 4800 rpm no matter what the gearing said.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say there's no point in aftermarket cams in a TIII. I think, just as in any case, it depends on what you want out of the engine.
    Most definitely, I would say 95% of people messing with the turbo III motors do not need them. However, I do have a set of performance cams in my built motor, but hopefully I will not need them anytime soon

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

You are running a ported head on this one, right? How much difference is there between a ported TIII head and a stock one? I know years ago somebody made 500whp on what I think was a stock TIII engine in a Spirit RT w/ a Precision 6262 turbo I think? Larry was his name maybe? I'm sure it had exhaust, injectors and probably meth or alcohol spray.

Just wondering, cause I have a 2.5 TIII w/ a stock top end I'm planning on dropping into my GTC
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

And just because one guy spun his engine to 9200 and broke something doesn't mean that the parts can't do it. Ramp rates, shape, spring pressure...blah blah...I'm probably preaching to the choir, can all affect not only the engine's power output, potential output, power band, but also valvetrain longevity. There's clearly tradeoffs...it's just what are you willing to trade?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Very nice!

Interestingly enough, that powerband is Very similar to the Chargers with the F4 cam. Your peak TQ#'s are a little lower in the PB but peak HP is almost Identical!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    And just because one guy spun his engine to 9200 and broke something doesn't mean that the parts can't do it. Ramp rates, shape, spring pressure...blah blah...I'm probably preaching to the choir, can all affect not only the engine's power output, potential output, power band, but also valvetrain longevity. There's clearly tradeoffs...it's just what are you willing to trade?
    Tru Dat!!!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    You are running a ported head on this one, right? How much difference is there between a ported TIII head and a stock one? I know years ago somebody made 500whp on what I think was a stock TIII engine in a Spirit RT w/ a Precision 6262 turbo I think? Larry was his name maybe? I'm sure it had exhaust, injectors and probably meth or alcohol spray.

Just wondering, cause I have a 2.5 TIII w/ a stock top end I'm planning on dropping into my GTC
    Yes, mildly ported head with stock valves. That would have been Larry Joliff. I think, if memory serves, he was around the 400hp mark, 396whp? I have a ton of his info saved, we used to converse quite a bit when he still owned that car. I'd have to dig thru old emails.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Very nice!

Interestingly enough, that powerband is Very similar to the Chargers with the F4 cam. Your peak TQ#'s are a little lower in the PB but peak HP is almost Identical!
    Schweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

There's clearly tradeoffs...it's just what are you willing to trade?
    I guess i should have qualified my statement by saying there's only so far you can go with this valvetrain before every time something goes wrong you are looking at the loss of some fairly rare and expensive parts while trying to blaze a path that noone else intends to follow anyway. Pragmatism is the principle in play here. I don't consider it a negative statement to say any of that.

Hybrid booster

Sunday Racing is a go(1/8th mile), wish me luck and low et's everybody. Haven't got the 2 step working yet...

Cant wait to hear! Lots of good times getting posted in this community lately, it's been fun to follow.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Cant wait to hear! Lots of good times getting posted in this community lately, it's been fun to follow.
    Didn't have enough time to get the 2 step working so went without.

Only was able to make 4 passes and only able to modify the tune once(fellow racer broke his car so I lost my tuner for the night).

Car picked up mph, but still not able to get out of the hole(pulls right thru the brakes).

Best pass was:
    1.80 60ft
    4.85 330ft
    7.28 1/8th
    103.71 mph

Videos will be up shortly

Hybrid booster

Just to clarify, I did "red light" right just before the green, by a tenth of a second because my car pulled thru the brakes. but we both launched/left the line at the same time. he also had a hard time last night hooking up. I know the owner, that is why we raced, and that car runs 6.6's in the 1/8 and 10.3's in the 1/4, it's a bad beeotch. he is getting ready to have the 15psi pulleys put on

Last edited by turboshelbys; 08-24-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Hybrid booster

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast