Thread: WTB: Omni 4-door windshield

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

WTB: Omni 4-door windshield

Anyone in SE Michigan, or northern Ohio have an Omni windshield they'll sell? Going to pick up an '84 GLH in a couple weeks and it needs one. I'd prefer to take it with me and install it before I hit the road. Can't tow the car with no windshield, that'll be a mess if it snows or rains.

Not interested in trying to ship one. Too expensive and takes too long.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: WTB: Omni 4-door windshield

I have some decent used ones, but I'm in SE Wisconsin.

turbo addict

I put in 48189 zip code in search by distance for a 84 Dodge Omni 4 dr at
    http://www.car-part.com/
    and found one for $35 right there! The next one by distance is in Southfield...$50. At least 6 more within 100 miles. Good luck.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

I bought two aftermarket FYG DW00959 windshields for spares. I have one installed in one of my Omni's. My glass guy said the fit was near perfect. He said in many cases far better than OEM fit. I paid $125 each for them. Obviously new. $250 installed. There was only six left in my metro area at the time so I thought sooner is better than later. You might find new aftermarket in one of those two locations.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    I put in 48189 zip code in search by distance for a 84 Dodge Omni 4 dr at
    http://www.car-part.com/
    and found one for $35 right there! The next one by distance is in Southfield...$50. At least 6 more within 100 miles. Good luck.
    Awesome, thanks Angelo. That is right here in town. Though, thier website says it's for 2dr/4dr. But, it also says it's a '90. So, that should be 4dr only. Going to go grab it this morning...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I still owe you and Bufford for getting the old Matchbox back into driving condition at the Milan SDAC.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Doh! Apparently the parts guy is out sick today and no one else there knows how to run the computers...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Got it! Thanks again Angleo. This is a brand new, old-stock, aftermarket windshield. Not bad for $35. Made in the USA even. The guy said it had been in the trailer for probably 15 years.

Now, how do I tell for sure if it's for a 4-door? 'Cause it would suck to only find out when I go to get the car (and install it) that it actually only fits the 2-door car.

What's the height and bottom width of a 4-door Omni windshield?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

If you find out it is for a 2 door, I'll gladly take it off of your hands. Let me know, my charger needs one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It measures 26-5/8" tall in the center.

Need an extra pair of hands to measure the width...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'm at a hotel far away from my 2 door or 4 door L to do any actual measuring for you but I'm willing to bet that a 2 door shield is at least 4" taller than that. I think you scored...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

I'll take some measurements tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I'm at a hotel far away from my 2 door or 4 door L to do any actual measuring for you but I'm willing to bet that a 2 door shield is at least 4" taller than that. I think you scored...
    I'm a little concerned because its very similar in size to that Daytona windshield that its currently laying on. A little narrower top and bottom, but height is only a little shorter.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Thanks ajakeski! He measured a couple that he has and they pretty much match this one. Looks like I got the right one. It's got the number 00959 on a sticker on it (almost barely legible, really). According to him, that should be the right number for a 4-door windshield.

Now, to figure out how to install it...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

L body 4 door glass interchange number 00959.

L body 2 door glass interchange number is 00958.

These are the numbers you ask for at the glass shop when you ask them search for a window.

turbo addict

Have safelite or glass doctordo it.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Put it in yourself. It's not tough. I did my Scamp myself. You just need a tube of the 3M urethane adhesive #08693, a small bottle of the primer 08682, and a decent caulk gun. I bought mine here: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-a...3-p-15923.aspx Prep the surface per the instructions, and have at it. The key to a good job is the cut out on the tip. You want to cut the tip down about half way so you have a nice fat base to the adhesive when you put it on the flange. Cut a notch out of the side of the tip, so that it forms a nice triangle cross section. You want it to stand about 5/8" tall so that it compresses when you put the windshield in and forms a good seal. It's $10 for the adhesive, and $13 for the primer. The other key is to warm up the adhesive before trying to use it. Get a nice hot(not boiling) pan of water, put the adhesive tube in a large Ziplock bag, and let it heat soak for 1/2 an hour or so. It will flow much better.

I tried to get a glass shop to put the good, used windshield in my Scamp. I had one that said they would do it, but would not guarrantee the work. $165 + materials!!! The rest wouldn't touch it because it was a used windshield. I said, for that amount, I'll do it myself, and guarrantee it myself...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Put it in yourself. It's not tough. I did my Scamp myself. You just need a tube of the 3M urethane adhesive #08693, a small bottle of the primer 08682, and a decent caulk gun. I bought mine here: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-a...3-p-15923.aspx Prep the surface per the instructions, and have at it. The key to a good job is the cut out on the tip. You want to cut the tip down about half way so you have a nice fat base to the adhesive when you put it on the flange. Cut a notch out of the side of the tip, so that it forms a nice triangle cross section. You want it to stand about 5/8" tall so that it compresses when you put the windshield in and forms a good seal. It's $10 for the adhesive, and $13 for the primer. The other key is to warm up the adhesive before trying to use it. Get a nice hot(not boiling) pan of water, put the adhesive tube in a large Ziplock bag, and let it heat soak for 1/2 an hour or so. It will flow much better.

I tried to get a glass shop to put the good, used windshield in my Scamp. I had one that said they would do it, but would not guarrantee the work. $165 + materials!!! The rest wouldn't touch it because it was a used windshield. I said, for that amount, I'll do it myself, and guarrantee it myself...
    Thanks! That sounds like good advice to me.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Thanks! That sounds like good advice to me.

No problem, always glad to help. Only other advice I would give is to buy a couple of the $4 suction cup handles from Harbor Freight for handling the windshield, and have a friend help you. It much easier to lay the windshield in place with a guy on each side...