Thread: What happened to my compressor wheel

boostaholic

What happened to my compressor wheel

Pulled apart my Holset HE341 and found this. Whatever impacted the wheel never made it through. Found nothing pre or post turbo. I am not sure what happened here. Anyone got an idea??

Re: What happened to my compressor wheel

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Pulled apart my Holset HE341 and found this. Whatever impacted the wheel never made it through. Found nothing pre or post turbo. I am not sure what happened here. Anyone got an idea??

Was the nut missing?

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

boostaholic

No, The nut was still fully torqued. Nothing was missing and nothing was found in the piping.

turbo addict

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Keep running just a screen and see if it happens again.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

I have a complete 3" Cold Air Intake that places an AEM Dryflow filter between the radiator and intercooler. I do not run a screen.

turbo addict

random ideas:

-ice?
    -any chance it was like that when you installed it?
    -if it wasnt ice then it had to pass through the engine..does the engine run right still? why did you take the turbo apart?
    -if it really did pass through the engine then theres likely more damage to be found..

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

A flat washer could have done that. It would then (possibly) be able to pass between the fins of the compressor.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

How about oil, this wheel is designed for gas to be compressed and oil is not compressable? I was having issues with excessive crankcase pressure and the vents for my valve covers were right over the turbo inlet. I had a lot of oil residue on the silicone elbow entering the turbo. Im building a fresh short block concurrently as this one was shot with low compression.

I did an autocross school this summer and would have to add half a quart of oil after a 45 min session that included 4-6 runs on the track. This thing was just pumping oil out, I know the oil was dripping right on my intake piping.

If you know that the wheel was good when you put the turbo on the car, then a rock, a nut, washer, or some other hard piece of foreign debris was in your intake at some point and beat the hell out of that wheel. It's possible that whatever it was it was ground up enough to pass through the wheel and run through the motor.

boostaholic

The turbo was rebuilt and balanced with a new compressor wheel before I installed it on the car 2 years ago. This was all done when it was modified to be used on my car.

Oil would not do that.

There is no denying the current condition of the compressor wheel and that it was caused by FOD. I highly doubt that it looked like that when it was originally installed.

What made you inspect the turbo in the first place? Did you hear any strange noises or did you just notice a depreciation of performance? As Pat mentioned whatever the foreign object was it may have been chewed up or bounced back towards the air filter. Check the whole CAI system to see if it's still in there.

We have had customers that replaced their turbochargers and the previous turbo's compressor nut was stuck in the ribbing of the air inlet hose. After a couple of weeks of driving it became dislodged and took out the new turbo.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

boostaholic

The reason I pulled the turbo off is I am building a new short block and it had to come out. I noticed the compressor wheel when I pulled it off the car. There was nothing in any of the piping pre or post turbo, so I have no idea what caused this, but I will inspect all of my piping. Nothing in the IC either as that is pulled out. Top half of the motor is on the bench, no damage found anywhere.

I heard no strange noises and the car was not acting up in any way before. This motor was tired and had tons of blow by, it was wastegate limited to 18 psi, but still pushed oil like crazy.

turbo addict

What about the plastic cage inside air filter?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Oil would not do that.

There is no denying the current condition of the compressor wheel and that it was caused by FOD. I highly doubt that it looked like that when it was originally installed.

What made you inspect the turbo in the first place? Did you hear any strange noises or did you just notice a depreciation of performance?
    As Pat mentioned whatever the foreign object was it may have been chewed up or bounced back towards the air filter.
    Check the whole CAI system to see if it's still in there.

We have had customers that replaced their turbochargers and the previous turbo's compressor nut was stuck in the ribbing of the air inlet hose. After a couple of weeks of driving it became dislodged and took out the new turbo.

Chris-TU
    I agree and this "Check the whole CAI system to see if it's still in there" is key.

Hybrid booster

I have to ask, is this a "dual cone" cone filter? One with a traditional cone on the perimeter, and an inverted cone on the inside? Typical design of a "Spectre" and eBay filter, they usually have a metal button glued in the inner cone, to seal the cone ribs, instead of plastic. Over time the glue wears away, and the metal falls into your intake tract. Its worth a look, if it applies to you. Good luck!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Why do you think it is still there? You were probably at maximum boost when it actually went through. That means you need to inspect the valves/seats.
    What do the pistons look like? Chambers? What does the turbine wheel look like?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56