Thread: Long bolt bobble strut for 555 in L-body problem.

Long bolt bobble strut for 555 in L-body problem.

I did the 555 swap, and now am at the point where I drove around a bit with the actual bobble strut, but had some problems.

I ended up picking up one of the solid adjustable ones from polybushings, and installed it. It would work awesome, IF i could get the damn thing tight. I am using a long bolt through the old tabs with a shart load of warshers in the old tabs to keep it from collapsing, then right outside of the tab was the bobble mount, and the nut. I have the problem of the bolt wiggling up and down in the tabs because they aren't just holes, there slots. so the bolt itself will wiggle up and down.

the tab looks like the one i found here, with slots for the bolt hole, making it hard to anchor a solid mount.

(stolen from kevin isenburg)

THEN i ran into this problem.

Something it didn't say on the polybushings website was that I needed to have a tab support on both sides of the bottom of the mount to hold the bushing in there. So me not knowing this I installed it in there without any horizontal support on the passenger side. So it went in this order from passenger side to drivers.

NUT - lower strut bushing - washer - Tab - bunch of washers for support - tab - washer - Bolt head.

this is what happened.

The mount popped off the bushing and bent the bolt down. So I pulled the bolt out, re-inserted the bushing into the mount, and knabbed myself a grade 8 bolt to put in there in its place. I figured I could tighten the piss out of a grade 8 bolt and not have the problem of the thing sliding up and down in the tabs. then inserted a large washer on the passenger side to hold the thing on its bushing.

It currently looks like this.

I torqued it down pretty darn hard, and it worked awesome for a mile or so, but then it started to wiggle again.

So my question is this, Any clues on how to keep this bolt from wiggling up and down in the old mounting tabs slots?

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: Long bolt bobble strut for 555 in L-body problem.

If It's moving, It isn't tight enough
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

I read somewhere that it wasn't recommended to run the solid bobble if you're using the bolt/spacers method. I'm not sure why. I'll go digging and see what I can find.
    I know I have a solid bobble that I didn't use yet because of it though. Next time I pull the car apart I'll pull the K-frame and get the bracket welded on.
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

Ok, it's on Cliff Ramsdell's site as well.
    All you need is a spacer long enough to fill the area where the dog bone went and a bolt long enough to go thru that and the bobble strut and your home free.

This works great with the stock shock style bobble strut but if your suning a solid unit I would recommend adding another bracket to the K frame.
    He doesn't get in to detail as to why, but I'd suspect that the concern would be about twisting the bracket off with the constant load being on it. And not a direct load, but one that is only on one side of the bracket, making it almost want to twist the ears off. While of course, the stock bobble strut has alot of give in it.
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Get the weld-on bracket from Polybushings.com

guess that answers everything.

Thanks!