Thread: Name this intercooler.

boostaholic

Name this intercooler.

Had this on my car since the day I bought it. I have no idea on the manufacturer or hp capacity. Core measures 18.5 x 6 x 3.5. Outlets are 2.5. I think it is originally from one of our vendors, but I don't know.

turbo addict

Re: Name this intercooler.

Looks to be the budget intercooler from TU:

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/budg...ler-p-374.html
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

A little archive digging on TD.com, circa 2005 and I have found out it is a Spearco 2-115 Core with polished end tanks welded onto it. Not sure who made it, but the dimensions of the Spearco core match mine I took today. It is basically a Spearco 1080 twin with polished end tanks and no branding.

turbo addict

Looks like mine.

turbo addict

This is a Spearco I had.

This is the eBay special I have.

turbo addict

I would name it George. Be sure to pet it and hug it and love it and squeeze it...
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

^^^^ win! ^^^^^

turbo addict

Bradd,
    All Spearco intercoolers I've seen have had Spearco name cast in end tanks. 1-992 is what I have as well. Same as Tryingbe. End tanks seem to have quite a bit more taper on small end than a Spearco. I'm thinking Spearco wantabe.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Same basic design and shape but what's interesting is the difference between the amount of transfer tubes between each of the units.

Ranging from 24 to 25 to 34 on some, the efficiencies (both thermal and flow) of these units can vary significantly.

This can be compounded if there are also differences in the internal/external fins per inch.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Same basic design and shape but what's interesting is the difference between the amount of transfer tubes between each of the units.

Ranging from 24 to 25 to 34 on some, the efficiencies (both thermal and flow) of these units can vary significantly.

This can be compounded if there are also differences in the internal/external fins per inch.
    Mine has 8 per inch external and 7 per inch internal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Knock off or no, That looks to be a decent IC IMO, lots of short tubes and nice end tanks. I just do a few back to back WOT blasts, pull over real quick and use an infra-red point and shoot thermometer on the inlet and outlet to see if it is enough IC for your application. My biggest IC's are generally within 15 degrees of ambient at the outlet on a cool night. I don't have a fancy math formula that 5Digits or ACannell would plug in here but I'd say it's enough IC if you can get that close on the temps.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Knock off or no, That looks to be a decent IC IMO, lots of short tubes and nice end tanks. I just do a few back to back WOT blasts, pull over real quick and use an infra-red point and shoot thermometer on the inlet and outlet to see if it is enough IC for your application. My biggest IC's are generally within 15 degrees of ambient at the outlet on a cool night. I don't have a fancy math formula that 5Digits or ACannell would plug in here but I'd say it's enough IC if you can get that close on the temps.
    "My biggest IC's are generally within 15 degrees of ambient at the outlet on a cool night... I'd say it's enough IC if you can get that close on the temps"
    I agree!
    Within this is the entire package setup and the compressor efficiencies.
    The demand on the intercooler certainly goes down when a good supporting turbo is selected for the application.
    A T04E with a 50 trim yielded 30 degrees above ambient in a previous Shadow with a custom/stock appearing intercooler/Rad assembly after one mile at WOT.