Thread: Intake matched to 58MM TB

Hybrid booster

Intake matched to 58MM TB

Anybody care to speculate on what I'll lose if I do not port match the 2 piece intake to the TB. Reason I'm asking is that the intake is mounted and the 0.040 over engine is in the hole and that part of the put together could not be helped and I'm thinking about letting it fly as is 'cuz we all know what ah PITA it is to try and undo and redo at this point. Just looking for opinions guys. Thanks, Jer

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Intake matched to 58MM TB

Did you get the throttle body bored out? Right in front of the throttle blade it's 52mm but the throttle blade is 58mm. So if you didn't bore out the throttle body it's not going to matter because you're not going to flow more then 52mm.

I ran a 58mm throttle body not bored out on my 2.4 with a PT Cruiser intake that the neck in the plenum narrowed down to just under 52mm with no I'll effects because I opened up the flange for the 58mm and couldn't go back because now the 52mm gasket wouldn't seal. Then I got the intake opened up and throttle body bored.

If you need the throttle body bored I had mock_glh who's a member here do mine. Great guy to deal with.

turbo addict

Will a 58mm TB actually even open to WOT without opening up the throttle body to at least 52mm? I'm guessing no, not without multiple gaskets. IMO, you might as well just leave the 46mm TB on. It's going to be pretty turbulent without opening it up. Think about it, that is 6mm all the way around that is mismatched. That is a ton! Besides turbulence, what have you gained by bolting on a 58mm TB and feeding it through a 46mm hole in intake?
    So if the gasket is fresh on the 2 piece intake, 8 bolts and a couple other fasteners and top half is off. Thats really too tough?
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input you two guys. A.J. You've thrown another log on my fire with that smaller neck thing in the 58MM TB. Thanks again for that. I've been around for a while but I'd have missed that one for sure. Every day I try to learn something and that's my lesson for today. And 4 L-body's, I knew the shoulder would be a problem to some degree, and it's not that big of deal to pull the plenum off, just a PITA and my main concern is that all the aluminum shavings won't get cleaned out of the plenum and removing the "freeze plug" from the right end of this particular plenum is not an option at this point. Pressure flush and hope for the best I guess. Regards 'n Thanks, Jer

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    Thanks for the input you two guys.... And 4 L-body's, I knew the shoulder would be a problem to some degree, and it's not that big of deal to pull the plenum off, just a PITA and my main concern is that all the aluminum shavings won't get cleaned out of the plenum and removing the "freeze plug" from the right end of this particular plenum is not an option at this point. Pressure flush and hope for the best I guess. Regards 'n Thanks, Jer
    Glad we can help. If it helps, the core plug in end of intake is a common 2.250" plug (Dorman #555-0840). They are a buck or two at auto parts store. I knock em out and replace them all the time. If you choose to not remove, I would recommend that you first degrease inside of intake to remove any oils/sticky carbon junk in intake and dry thoroughly. That way the aluminum shaving will not have something to embed into.
    Good luck,
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Did you get the throttle body bored out? Right in front of the throttle blade it's 52mm but the throttle blade is 58mm. So if you didn't bore out the throttle body it's not going to matter because you're not going to flow more then 52mm.
    I ran a 58mm throttle body not bored out on my 2.4 with a PT Cruiser intake that the neck in the plenum narrowed down to just under 52mm with no I'll effects because I opened up the flange for the 58mm and couldn't go back because now the 52mm gasket wouldn't seal. Then I got the intake opened up and throttle body bored.

If you need the throttle body bored I had mock_glh who's a member here do mine. Great guy to deal with.
    An un-bored 58mm does flow more than a 52mm.
    The area surrounding the throttle shaft was enlarged to improve flow while considering the loss of area consumed by the shaft itself.
    Therefore, a 46mm and 52mm both have less cross sectional area at the throttle shaft and realize greater restriction than a 58mm.

I hope this helps.