Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Turbo-Mopar Times - DATA COLLECTION THREAD!!!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: 2015 Turbo-Mopar Times - DATA COLLECTION THREAD!!!

Put the combo into a van!
    That will provide instant slow down! But you'll still be fast as hell.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Put the combo into a van!
    That will provide instant slow down! But you'll still be fast as hell.
    Now that would be interesting...........
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    About the whole NHRA licensing rigamroll; I really want to avoid all the expense and hassal just to run my car once or twice a year. Getting the car to meet all the requirements, and getting the physical and all would not be bad, but then they make you recertify everything periodically and send them money$$$$ and it becomes a big pain in the A$$.
    I have boxes of perfectly good five point harnesses that are outdated, some I only used once
    Once you cross the 9.99 threshold it gets REAL expensive. My goal has been to beat Stephane's 8Valve record of 9.33 and then back the car down to easy 10.50's and go back to bracket racing.
    There are about four or five tracks I can get kicked out of trying to go 9.33 or I can just slow it down.(I can't believe I just said that!)
    You say that now, but what happens if you go inside of 9.33 and she's got more left in'er and you Know it? Hmmmmmmm?

You tellin me that you wouldn't Dare to think of 8's? (after all, it IS the Magic EIGHTvalver!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muahaha.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	56125  

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You say that now, but what happens if you go inside of 9.33 and she's got more left in'er and you Know it? Hmmmmmmm?

You tellin me that you wouldn't Dare to think of 8's? (after all, it IS the Magic EIGHTvalver!)
    Well, If you put it that way,Hmmm..I don't know, will cross that bridge when I get to it. I could always go to some outlaw track somewhere I suppose.
    Seriously though, I am all for safety, but you buy and install all their required ----, fine then every two or three years SFI window net recertify$$kaching, SFI engine diaper recetify$$$, trans shield recert.$$, SFI flywheel recert.$$$ Chassis recert.Kaching$$, Parachute recert.$$$, Harness recert, full driver suit even has a time stamp I believe, Then the doctor physical$$$ every year or two I'm not sure on how often. NHRA is a RUCKIN money grubbing racket IMO.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

boostaholic

Wow just awesome! Congrats Warren!

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Wow just awesome! Congrats Warren!
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Which reminds me; How did your axle set-up work out?? I never did hear. You could PM me if you prefer. I'm very interested. Warren

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Just want to make a nice showing and have fun.
    That's kind of where I'm at with my van. Ya I could make it faster but with being at 12.6, am I really going to get that many more Oo's and Ah's by shaving a second off? I'd rather just make an appearance at the track occasionally and make more car shows to show it off.

boostaholic

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Which reminds me; How did your axle set-up work out?? I never did hear. You could PM me if you prefer. I'm very interested. Warren
    Broke third pass at SDAC. Just got it apart this past weekend. Axles held up great. Input shaft not so much.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Broke third pass at SDAC. Just got it apart this past weekend. Axles held up great. Input shaft not so much.
    Had a feeling something was up after the silence following SDAC. Glad to hear it was Not the axle set-up!

Input shaft, man, was wondering when one of those would go. Any PB before carnage?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well, If you put it that way,Hmmm..I don't know, will cross that bridge when I get to it. I could always go to some outlaw track somewhere I suppose.
    Seriously though, I am all for safety, but you buy and install all their required ----, fine then every two or three years SFI window net recertify$$kaching, SFI engine diaper recetify$$$, trans shield recert.$$, SFI flywheel recert.$$$ Chassis recert.Kaching$$, Parachute recert.$$$, Harness recert, full driver suit even has a time stamp I believe, Then the doctor physical$$$ every year or two I'm not sure on how often. NHRA is a RUCKIN money grubbing racket IMO.
    Well when it was a thing just to get to a 10.9999999 the $ issue was not scary. At this point that 9.99 barrier makes me want to throw up. Thats a reason to not even want to stick to the platform when you have picky tracks. Getting custom one off SFI approved stuff: diaper (or giant pan that can't actually fit some cars like ours to the technical rules), Harmonic damper, flywheel/flexplate (flexplate sorta available), trans shield, then all the stuff that isn't one off. Just the thought of obtaining all that stuff gives me a panic attack, let alone getting it done and then upkeeping it. I can see why people just want to either throw money at the problem if they have it or give up! Then go on a 2 day trip to a far away track and fail tech over something silly...

How often does this stuff fail? I know all the crane stuff we have at work just goes by "does it still look good" and that stuff does a much bigger job then your 5 point belts or window nets. Daddy Dave of StreetOutlaws proved that even with legit parts, poor installation won't help. His net AND seat failed at the fastening level.

Anyone have an estimate on the yearly $ upkeep on a 9.99 or faster car to all the rules (or how much every 3 years). Man that 8.50 that Slowe doesn't want to deal with must suck.

I want to see your guys go fast and do it safely. Not have to give up.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Well when it was a thing just to get to a 10.9999999 the $ issue was not scary. At this point that 9.99 barrier makes me want to throw up. Thats a reason to not even want to stick to the platform when you have picky tracks. Getting custom one off SFI approved stuff: diaper (or giant pan that can't actually fit some cars like ours to the technical rules), Harmonic damper, flywheel/flexplate (flexplate sorta available), trans shield, then all the stuff that isn't one off. Just the thought of obtaining all that stuff gives me a panic attack, let alone getting it done and then upkeeping it. I can see why people just want to either throw money at the problem if they have it or give up! Then go on a 2 day trip to a far away track and fail tech over something silly...

How often does this stuff fail? I know all the crane stuff we have at work just goes by "does it still look good" and that stuff does a much bigger job then your 5 point belts or window nets. Daddy Dave of StreetOutlaws proved that even with legit parts, poor installation won't help. His net AND seat failed at the fastening level.

Anyone have an estimate on the yearly $ upkeep on a 9.99 or faster car to all the rules (or how much every 3 years). Man that 8.50 that Slowe doesn't want to deal with must suck.

I want to see your guys go fast and do it safely. Not have to give up.
    This all got me thinking, Does anyone know of, or heard of anyone being hurt, or killed in a front wheel drive drag car?(I mean at the track, not on the street) Almost every crash or fatality involving a REAR wheel drive car can usually be traced back to an axle break, or unequal traction situation.
    Front drive drag cars are inherently safer because they don't get out of shape so easily.
    I have gotten on oil twice at two different tracks near the 900ft. mark and the only thing the car did was a little sashay one way or the other, and continued on flying down the track, when the rear drive car in the next pair lost it in the same oil and crashed.
    I have more safety concerns of getting crashed into by my competitor.
    Come to think of it, I have never seen a front drive drag car ever crash. Anybody??

Oh no....
    You had to say it....
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Oh no....
    You had to say it....
    Say what??

It may be best we don't mention it again, wouldn't want to temp fate.
    Maybe i shouldn't have even said anything.
    Wayne H.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Jinx and all that, but shouldn't we clean up all this non-timeslip discourse at this point?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Finally got to do some full 1/4 mile testing. Made four runs before I was asked to shut it down till I upgraded my license.

28-30 psi, did not touch a wrench to it, did not break anything. can't wait to turn up the boost to about 55psi. Here are the preliminary results............Please update my times in the data base. Sorry about the grainy first photo, If you double click on it ,it should clear up.
    Absolutely awesome Warren! Congrats on cracking the 9's! I knew you would do it once you got it out! And I know there's more potential in it! Cannot wait to see the XE in action again!

They do a "Real Street Drag" event monthly at Great Lakes Dragaway and since it is "clocks off" they tend to allow cars to run a little beyond their certs... Not sure if you have something like this at any tracks closer to you? Or if you ever wanted to head down this way for one, let me know, you're welcome to stay here!

Yep, safety is expensive... I just put another harness in this year. Everyone suffers because some folks store their cars outside uncovered and UV light eats up fabric, or so I've been told.

I had my cage certified by NHRA in 2013 just to see if I did it right. The rules had just changed, SPECIFIC to FWD's, regarding the "D" bars that go from the crotch of the main hoop and seat brace bar down to the trans tunnel. The new rule states that the "D" bars need to be welded to a cross member going across the floor spanning between the main hoop legs. The old rule (which my cage was built to had them weld directly to the trans tunnel. When I put it in I questioned if additional 6x6 plates should be used in those two spots and was advised that it was not required. Seemed odd to me as the metal is thin there but I just followed the rules. Well, the new rule adresses this concern in FWD vehicles only and the NHRA regional tech guy told me it is because the trans tunnels on FWD cars are thinner and not as rigid as those ona RWD car where they are designed thicker wall to control chasssis twist. He also said something about a FWD wreck and those bars piercing right through the trans tunnel. Luckily they just changed and mine was gradfathered in.

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    1991 --- Spirit R/T --- 2.5L T-III hybrid --- A568--- 225/50/16 Cooper Zeon RS3-A --- Brian Cropp --- HSKR --- --- 2.41 --- 10.24 @ 68.65
    Nice work Brian! Welcome to the times page!

Drag Times Page updated!

Check it out here!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

1986 --- GLH --- 2.5L T-II FMIC --- A555(3.50:1) --- 25x8.7 M&H Slicks --- James Reeves --- Reeves --- --- 1.652 --- 6.59 @ 112.48 --- 9.99 @ 143.78

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Hybrid booster

Booyah James!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Is that the fastest 2.5 of all time?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Is that the fastest 2.5 of all time?
    Definitely the fastest 5spd.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast