Thread: Engine shift in my SC

Garrett booster

Engine shift in my SC

I have a 9 year project of an '85 Shelby charger that I have built primarily as an autocross car. Last year was the first year out with it and I only made three or four races. I'm still sorting out bugs. I noticed a rubbing on hard left turns which I assumed was a tire. After it developed a power steering leak, I realized the rubbing was actually the engine shifting enough for the power steering pully to hit the frame. At rest there is only about 1/4 inch of clearance between the pully and the frame. I never remembered it being that tight. I used stock rubber mounts and filled the voids with window weld because it does see some street duty. Have any of you encountered this, and short of urethane mounts what can I do?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Engine shift in my SC

The trans mount has side-to-side play without even unbolting anything. The front mount bracket that bolts to the radiator support is slotted so it can move side to side. The pass side mount has slotted holes so it can move side to side when you loosing the bolts as well. I dont know what the factory procedure to center the engine is but the main thing i check is how far you can push in on the end of the CV axle (with the axle nut loose) and making sure one side isnt almost totally compressed at rest.

I've never had the rubbing issue but thats probably just because k-cars have more room.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?