Thread: Shakin' All Over

Garrett booster

Shakin' All Over

Fellow Enthusiasts,

I have an 89 Dodge Lancer Shelby. When I accelerate I get a wobble from the front end. If I accelerate gradually not so much, but when I get in it the car starts shaking, feels almost side-to-side, not up-and-down. The car has new axles, new front wheel bearings, new struts, and new tires. The wobble was significant before I started with the new stuff and seemed to get a bit better with each change but it could just be my imagination. Last week I got a clean alignment from Terry's in Concord, NC. The alignment helped a lot but the wobble is still there, especially when the turbo comes on. Terry said it could be a motor mount. I noticed that if I over-inflate the front tires a bit (36-37 psi) it seems to help a bit. Getting ready to dig into the car this weekend and was wondering if anyone out there had some suggestions they could throw my way.

Thanks!

HeWhoBarks@Dogs
    Charlotte, NC

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Shakin' All Over

I would start by checking the motor mounts. If those are good, move on to ball joints. Also try rotating the tires to see if the wobble moves to the back, although that's more common with constant shimmies rather than acceleration based ones.

Hybrid booster

In addition to the mounts you'll want to check that the motor is centered, and that the steering rack and K frame bolts are tight.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

boostaholic

I have the exact same problem on my 88 lancer. All new suspension, tires, brakes, wheels, tires, bushings, balljoints, motor mounts, rack and k frame bolts tight. Motor is centered. I have no idea but in for a solution.

boostaholic

I had this problem in an 88 daytona. Change the pass axle and it fixed the problem.

turbo addict

side to side feeling is usually a bad inner joint on one of the axles. But New motor mounts and having them installed properly is a must. Having the front or passenger side mounts installed wrong will cause the shakes too.

boostaholic

I need to check the front mount.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Inner CV joint. New doesn't mean good unfortunately.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Yeah, it's not uncommon to get a bad one right out of the box.

Garrett booster

Now that I think about it the problem seemed to occur right after I changed the axles. Had the mighty Saginaws but the CV boots were shot, replaced the CV boots (the right way), that lasted for about a month, then got replacement axles from AutoZone, those skinny ones (that was what they had). Tried to go back to the Saginaws but couldn't find them anywhere. Have not looked for them recently, anyone got a source for those?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have moved the wheels rear to front, no change. Also, which one is the "pass axle"?

Thanks for all of the good suggestions, we will fix this problem for sure!

turbo addict

Pass. Axle is the passenger side axle. I'll agree seems like an axle problem nine the less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Really sounds like motor mounts to me. Ive had "beater" TMs as dailys for years and when they have bad motor mounts they do exactly what your describing.

Garrett booster

Finally got some weather outside that would let me work on the Lancer. Changed out the passenger side axle and the problem is gone. Can't freakin' believe it. A whole different car. Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. Thanks for all of your help!