Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Body flex?

turbo addict

Re: Body flex?

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Mike, what kind of NVH did you get when you did that. This car will be a spring, summer, fall daily, and don't want my teeth rattled out of my head it is too bad. I'm expecting a rough ride from reinforcing the chassis, so more NVH I'm expecting, but not beyond bearable lol.

Reinforcing the chassis will DECREASE NVH, so if you increase it with stiffer mounts it should be a wash. Also, most of the vibration comes from the side mounts as they support the weight of the engine. So if those are softer, and just the ones that limit engine rotation are stiff as long as they're set at a neutral state the NVH shouldn't go up much. My bobble strut is a 1" piece of pipe that is hard mounted to the kframe with 2 small shock eye bushings on the bracket of the trans and the NVH didn't increase at all.

turbo addict

I am running factory replacement side mounts, with the k member to core support mount. Bolted to the bell housing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Maybe not a radical approach, but I've supported the front lower radiator core support a couple of different ways over the years.

The mildest approach was used on my Shadow VNT where a forward facing stick of angled steel (90 degree - 1"x1") was added along the entire lower lip of the core weld seem.
    Holes were drilled every 6" and was bolted in place from the back side facing forward with corresponding 1" flat stock on the front.
    This was done as structural rigidity is far greater of steel on edge versus the ability to bend it as flat stock.
    After this was completed, 45 degree corners were tied from the added stock to the frame rails to reduce the load from the pinch welded core ends, where the core support meets the side rails.

The Charger had a few iterations similar to 'Contraption22' and the method of tying the front support to the K-frame but differed without a connection to the trans.
    A similar second method used bent gusseted tubing to connect the front mount directly to the K-frame with what I'd describe as a very long dog-bone mount.
    Mounting tabs much like the existing dog bone mounts on the K-frame were welded to the bottom of the front engine mount and tied rearward to the K-frame.
    An improvement would be to split the connection to the K-frame into two points (essentially a "Y") to minimize L to R powertrain movement, distribute the load and reduce NVH.

The new method mentioned earlier in the thread will be stress-tested in the Spring and front mount removal will be determined.
    Any pictures, I am struggling to visualize what is being done here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123