Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CLASS: Setting up base Turbonator cal and burning/flashing a cal

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: CLASS: Setting up base Turbonator cal and burning/flashing a cal

OK, the 'Setting up a base cal' how-to is done thru the fueling setup. look it over and let me know if you have questions. I'll work on the spark portion next.

http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...pumpshot_setup
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    OK, the 'Setting up a base cal' how-to is done thru the fueling setup. look it over and let me know if you have questions. I'll work on the spark portion next.

http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...pumpshot_setup
    Some suggestions:

The goal of the base cal setup should be to get the ECU programmed (via burning or flashing) with a custom cal (base Turbonator) with the absolute minimum amount of work or thinking possible. Its not tuning yet. Its just establishing the "custom cal pathway".

That said anything that is not absolutely required to that end should be moved to the tuning procedure and taken out of the base cal procedure.

If Turbonator cals have reasonable AFR targets out-of-the-box, then lets just leave out the whole thing about modifying them. Same with all the options.

The remarks about template files that appear in 1.2 should appear in 1.1.4 where the template file is chosen.

I think the separate article for template files should be deleted, and "what a template file is" should be explained on the spot in a concise sentence or two.

Flow is very important here. If people start to lose track of whats going on or get the impression that they are tuning, its going to veer off. Same goes for if they start investing alot of time or effort in making modifications and then hit a brick wall when they try to flash/burn and have a problem. All that momentum lost = no fun zone = lets abandon tuning.

So in that regard, I think a summary at the beginning explicitly stating what the goals of this procedure are and what a "base cal" is supposed to be (a minimum operational starting point to establish flashing/burning success, and not a fine tuned anything) would be good. Also explained should be exactly what the Turbonator cal has out of the box, and what are the minimum things that need to be changed for it to function (I would think injector size would be one)

turbo addict

Basically what I am saying here is we need to hold their hand and guide them very carefully along the path, making sure they dont trip, until they get to ACTUAL tuning and making decisions..at that point, we will show them the ropes of how to make basic datalogged runs, interpret the results, adjust the tune to compensate, and repeat...and then let them jump out of the nest and blow things up

But until that point in the training, it needs to be SMOOOOOOOOOTTTHHHH sailing with no confusion and everything explained down to the littlest detail

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Some suggestions:

The goal of the base cal setup should be to get the ECU programmed (via burning or flashing) with a custom cal (base Turbonator) with the absolute minimum amount of work or thinking possible. Its not tuning yet. Its just establishing the "custom cal pathway".

That said anything that is not absolutely required to that end should be moved to the tuning procedure and taken out of the base cal procedure.

If Turbonator cals have reasonable AFR targets out-of-the-box, then lets just leave out the whole thing about modifying them. Same with all the options.
    The Guideline is set out of the box, but the fuel tables are not tuned at all. They are factory calibration data.In a fin-tuning article, I'm going to show how to use the PefTbl tuner built-in to MP Tune to re-tune that table. It relies on the AFR guidelines, and assumes that the fuel tables have been tuned to it. So, they are absolutely necessary for tuning later.

The remarks about template files that appear in 1.2 should appear in 1.1.4 where the template file is chosen.

I think the separate article for template files should be deleted, and "what a template file is" should be explained on the spot in a concise sentence or two.
    Yeah, that can be improved.

Flow is very important here. If people start to lose track of whats going on or get the impression that they are tuning, its going to veer off. Same goes for if they start investing alot of time or effort in making modifications and then hit a brick wall when they try to flash/burn and have a problem. All that momentum lost = no fun zone = lets abandon tuning.

So in that regard, I think a summary at the beginning explicitly stating what the goals of this procedure are and what a "base cal" is supposed to be (a minimum operational starting point to establish flashing/burning success, and not a fine tuned anything) would be good. Also explained should be exactly what the Turbonator cal has out of the box, and what are the minimum things that need to be changed for it to function (I would think injector size would be one)
    To me, a 'base cal' is one you can use to do fine tuning with. The simplest setup would be 'pick template', 'scale for MAP/Injectors', 'Compile'. But that doesn't really get you anywhere. I think you can do 90% of the work before you ever start the car; and that's what I'm going to show in this how-to.

I've done several hundred custom cals. Most of the ones that come back are due to code errors on my part more often that bad calibrating.

So, trust me - I'm walking you thru the process I use to make every custom cal I sell...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I re-read it and decided that the PumpShot stuff does need to go in advanced. For most builds, guys will never need to touch these tables.

And, I think the bit about the config flags is important - I don't want people to have the impression that you can simply 'switch' a cal between Auto and Manual trans with just the option flag. The option flag in this case simply tells the ECU what the cal is setup for. It doesn't automatically change all of the related calibration values. I'll leave the Turbonator options for 'Advanced Tuning' as well.

While the PefTbl for porting may seem advanced, I still think it's good background information and should be kept. But, if it's confusing for anyone, I'll move it to advanced. But, I think the description of it should be kept on the setup (even if the advice is to not touch it). To many first-timers think this is the table to do the most fueling adjustments with, and I just want to highlight what it's purpose is and when to tune it.
    Last edited by ShelGame; 01-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Auto and manual like transmission? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    Auto and manual like transmission? Or something else?
    Yes, trans type...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

I thought you chose a cal for man auto and that was done. Can you set auto man in a cal?

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    I thought you chose a cal for man auto and that was done. Can you set auto man in a cal?
    There is a config flag for Auto trans in the setup area of the cal; but it doesn't change everything needed to convert the cal to an auto trans. So, you're right - don't use it that way. Select a template that is already setup for manual or auto trans (as noted in the template name).
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Ignition timing setup section was just added. Let me know if you have any feedback.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

What's the login for the wiki again?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    What's the login for the wiki again?
    You'll need to setup a user account. The answer to the security question is simply 'Shelby'.

Sorry, I had to do that. Now that the link is out, if I left it open for anonymous editing, it would be too easy for a$$hole$ to come in and spam the wiki. So, I required the registration and login.

If anyone has any trouble getting in, let me know. I'm not trying to keep anyone out or anything like that. Just want to protect it.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hmm, I made an account, and can sign into the website okay, but not the wiki?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hmm, I made an account, and can sign into the website okay, but not the wiki?
    You made an account for which website? The wiki? It requires a separate login from the webstore (completely different software, just on the same server).

I don't see you in the users list for the wiki.

I'm trying to figure out how to open up the wiki for anyone to read-only. It currently is actually set that way, but the navigation menu on the side won't allow anonymous users to see (so you can't find your way around) and I can't find the setting to open that up.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

So I have played around in MPtune with a base cal. I was planning on burning the 3 bar TIII cal just to test the process with my burner. When going to burn, I was thinking it was the .bin file, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mratliff86 View Post
    So I have played around in MPtune with a base cal. I was planning on burning the 3 bar TIII cal just to test the process with my burner. When going to burn, I was thinking it was the .bin file, is that correct?
    Yes, the .bin til is the one you burn...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Yes, the .bin til is the one you burn...
    Excellent, it appears that everything worked. I'll have to try the latchboard and the chip out this weekend.

You made an account for which website? The wiki? It requires a separate login from the webstore (completely different software, just on the same server).

I don't see you in the users list for the wiki.

I'm trying to figure out how to open up the wiki for anyone to read-only. It currently is actually set that way, but the navigation menu on the side won't allow anonymous users to see (so you can't find your way around) and I can't find the setting to open that up.
    It was for BoostButton. Trying to set one up for the wiki now.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Well, it didn't send me the confirmation e-mail, and resetting the password doesn't work. Can you reset my user account? Same name as here.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Well, it didn't send me the confirmation e-mail, and resetting the password doesn't work. Can you reset my user account? Same name as here.
    I just got the confirmation email for your account. Let me see if I can reset it. Or change the PW at least...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast