Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CLASS: Setting up base Turbonator cal and burning/flashing a cal

turbo addict

CLASS: Setting up base Turbonator cal and burning/flashing a cal

The focus of this thread is to help people get a base Turbonator cal setup, and also to flash and burn a cal.
    This is not yet "Tuning".Thats in another class.
    You should have already passed the "Getting MPSCAN to talk to the Chrysler ECU" class before starting this class.

Topics of discussion related to this class are:

• Downloading and installing MPTUNE
    • Understanding what a "base" Turbonator cal is
    • Setting up a "base" Turbonator cal in MPTUNE
    • Setting up any additional hardware/tools or wiring required to burn/flash a cal to a chip/flashable module.
    • Burning/flashing the "base" Turbonator cal to a chip/flashable module and verifying it worked

Please do not discuss other topics in this thread, such as tuning, AFR logging, data logging, etc..

There will be or are other "CLASS" threads for those purposes.

Anyone in here can be a teacher or a student.

There is a work-in-progress procedure for these topics in the form of a wiki here:

http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...#getting_ready

Please read that procedure and this thread to see if your question has been answered.

If not please provide feedback in this thread about what the procedure is lacking or how you would like to see it changed, in order to help others.

Garrett booster

Re: CLASS: Setting up base Turbonator cal and burning/flashing a cal

First off my cal'd SMEC has an SST Burnable chip instead of the flashable chip . The difference being I have to remove chip from SMEC to burn a cal where as if I had a flashable chip I would use the USB FTTI cable to flash chip while still in ECU. You can go to Boost Button to see the difference in the chips.
    To burn a SST chip you need a burner such as the Burn2 by Moates. This is a little box with a usb cable.
    Before I go any further I must say that I am learning this as I go. I have never made a cal much less burned or a flashed it to a chip.
    So heres what I have figured out so far.
    1st you must get your MPTune talking to your ECU( For flashing chip) or plug your chip burner into to laptop and let windows DL drivers.
    2nd you ( at this point in the game) go to http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ase&highlight= to download base cal files.
    3rd select a file that best suites your car set up. This is where a more detaiedl explanation of each cal file would come in handy. I selected stock because I new my car is very close to stock.
    4th Down load file to a folder you will be using for calibrations . I just put a folder on desk top and named it Turbonator cals.
    5th Open MPTune. Select file you wish from folder . At this point I would suggest that you do what i did and just start opening things and looking around. Doing this I found that some of the adjustable parameters have a slide bar at top of window and some have a graph with set points you can grab and move around. This is when things kinda start to make sense.
    This is as far as I have gotten. Tomorrow I will change some settings in the stock base cal and burn to one of five spare chips that came with Burn2 device.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by VaShelby View Post
    First off my cal'd SMEC has an SST Burnable chip instead of the flashable chip . The difference being I have to remove chip from SMEC to burn a cal where as if I had a flashable chip I would use the USB FTTI cable to flash chip while still in ECU. You can go to Boost Button to see the difference in the chips.
    To burn a SST chip you need a burner such as the Burn2 by Moates. This is a little box with a usb cable.
    Before I go any further I must say that I am learning this as I go. I have never made a cal much less burned or a flashed it to a chip.
    So heres what I have figured out so far.
    1st you must get your MPTune talking to your ECU( For flashing chip) or plug your chip burner into to laptop and let windows DL drivers.
    2nd you ( at this point in the game) go to http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ase&highlight= to download base cal files.
    3rd select a file that best suites your car set up. This is where a more detaiedl explanation of each cal file would come in handy. I selected stock because I new my car is very close to stock.
    4th Down load file to a folder you will be using for calibrations . I just put a folder on desk top and named it Turbonator cals.
    5th Open MPTune. Select file you wish from folder . At this point I would suggest that you do what i did and just start opening things and looking around. Doing this I found that some of the adjustable parameters have a slide bar at top of window and some have a graph with set points you can grab and move around. This is when things kinda start to make sense.
    This is as far as I have gotten. Tomorrow I will change some settings in the stock base cal and burn to one of five spare chips that came with Burn2 device.
    keep us posted

Okay some things jump out at me:

-Start publishing Turbonator base cal updates somewhere other than the forum. Like a hosted file on a web server (boostbutton? google drive?) with a link in the wiki that is "always latest". Or a version history in the wiki that has all the revisions for download. Just like any other versioned software.

-Thats the SMEC base cal, but where is SBEC? What about LM's or whatever? Is there a Turbonator base cal for every ECU, and if not, which ones are supported? (all this should go in the wiki)

-We need a detailed procedure for what VaShelby just described. Something that shows how to select "stock" or whatever hes talking about. There needs to be a simple and fully explained way to know which one to pick without any confusion about what you are doing by picking one.

-Still need to do pros/cons of burning versus flashing and what all the hardware and prices there are so people can make decisions.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I'll work on this 'how-to' on the wiki this week so guys have something to work from...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

You do not have to get MP Tune to talk to the ECU to burn a chip. You can simply:

1) get MP Tune loaded and working on you computer

2) plug up your compatible chip burner

3) choose a cal and burn it

That simple.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

mptune will auto recognize the ostrich and burn2 devices so if you have them installed properly it will write the cal to the device when you select the flash option, irregardless of whether you are connected to the ecu.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

The purpose of establishing communication with the ECU before attempting burning is not because its technically required but because:

-it provides you with a tool for troubleshooting and analysis before you start buying burning hardware/tools or socketing your ECU
    -it confirms whatever laptop you are using will likely work with MPTUNE
    -it prepares the way for datalogging so you dont hit a brick wall after you get flashing and burning going

Just to be clear to anyone reading this, this thread/class is NOT about communicating with the ECU or datalogging

Hybrid booster

Link to this "wiki"?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by knownenemy View Post
    Link to this "wiki"?
    first post

boostaholic

Also one thing I got burned by is knock off chips. Make sure you buy your chips from a reputable vendor. Otherwise you get one burn out of it if you're lucky and it's trash after that.

turbo addict

For those looking for extreme cost savings, you could possibly erase EPROMS in sunlight and save the $$ of a burner:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com...-with-sunlight

Add in a $5 eprom programmer and you are on your way to winning the cheap a^^ of the 21st century award

http://hackaday.com/2006/11/08/five-...om-programmer/

turbo addict

Regarding to fake chips.

http://support.moates.net/fake-27sf512-chips/

Buy all the SST27SF512 you think you'll need, once they are gone, they are GONE!

turbo addict

guess I'll be the first student...

so..I already have MPTUNE installed and the wiki covers at least the downloading part pretty well so I wont repeat that..

next is to download one of the Turbonator code bases

I put links to all of them in the wiki.

Is there a Masi or L-Body LM Turbonator? I couldnt find those.

Now I will download the SBEC turbonator because thats what my car uses.....

turbo addict

Okay unzipping the T-SBEC_v3.zip file I get 12 files..

No readme.txt describing them. How am I supposed to know what these are and what I should use?

If I go by the acronyms in the file names, I suppose I can pick out my transmission, and the lack (or presence) of a VNT.

So that leaves 4 candidates for my 90 daytona 2.5 ES Turbo 1:

MTX_2335_MP
    MTX_A225_Stock
    MTX_A593_Stock
    MTX_B246_HiTorq

What are these?

I think we're going to need one-sentence descriptions for every template file in every Turbonator code base, both in a readme.txt and also in the wiki. I dont see how people are supposed to know what to do here. Or is there some way to figure out what these are that I missed? I faintly remember finding clues somewhere a year ago..

boostaholic

I have four geniune chips. I'm hoping that should last me for some time.

- - - Updated - - -

T/GLHS is a turbonator cal right? It needs to be on two chips if memory serves.

http://www.boostbutton.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post

so..I already have MPTUNE installed and the wiki covers at least the downloading part pretty well so I wont repeat that..

They'll all be in my Google drive soon. Just haven't copied them there yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay unzipping the T-SBEC_v3.zip file I get 12 files..

No readme.txt describing them. How am I supposed to know what these are and what I should use?

If I go by the acronyms in the file names, I suppose I can pick out my transmission, and the lack (or presence) of a VNT.

So that leaves 4 candidates for my 90 daytona 2.5 ES Turbo 1:

MTX_2335_MP
    MTX_A225_Stock
    MTX_A593_Stock
    MTX_B246_HiTorq

What are these?

I think we're going to need one-sentence descriptions for every template file in every Turbonator code base, both in a readme.txt and also in the wiki. I dont see how people are supposed to know what to do here. Or is there some way to figure out what these are that I missed? I faintly remember finding clues somewhere a year ago..

The 3 digits you see in the names are the same as the last 3 digits of the (stock) ECU PN. Or, the Calibration ID of the factory cal. These templates contain the stock cal data from those cals.

How to choose which one? I don't know the exact differences in them. So, I recommend to pick the one that is stock for your car. If it's not available, then just pick one where the eng/trans combination is correct. Some have AC enabled, some don't. So, you might have to check.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    I have four geniune chips. I'm hoping that should last me for some time.

- - - Updated - - -

T/GLHS is a turbonator cal right? It needs to be on two chips if memory serves.

http://www.boostbutton.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7
    Both are correct - It's a 'Turbonator Code' and it needs both chips in the GLHS LM socketed.

There is no Turbonator for the log T1.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

OK, updated the Google Drive release area with the latest releases. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...UXM&authuser=0

I'm not going to keep old releases up there. Too often the new releases contain bug fixes and such. I can't maintain support for the older version once I release an update.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Changed the links to the Turbonator downloads on the wiki; also added some info about the naming convention.

Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Changed the links to the Turbonator downloads on the wiki; also added some info about the naming convention.

Looks great, thats an improvement. So now, officially, people can always get the latest Turbonator cal, in one place.

What do you think about changing all the EFI repository 1st posts to point to the wiki for the download?

Next question, in regards to templates.

Can you describe in simple terms the hierarchy of files?

is EVERYTHING that makes a "cal" inside the Turbonator zip file? Or are there libraries or something in the MPSCAN folders?

does MPTUNE determine what .asm file to use based on what the .tpl file tells it to choose?

So in other words, is the "cal" the combination of the .tpl file with the .asm file it calls out? Or are there other things? (like the .mpr/.mpc files..other libraries, etc..)

Looks great, thats an improvement. So now, officially, people can always get the latest Turbonator cal, in one place.

What do you think about changing all the EFI repository 1st posts to point to the wiki for the download?
    I'll eventually point the DL's to my Google Drive.

Next question, in regards to templates.

Can you describe in simple terms the hierarchy of files?

is EVERYTHING that makes a "cal" inside the Turbonator zip file? Or are there libraries or something in the MPSCAN folders?

does MPTUNE determine what .asm file to use based on what the .tpl file tells it to choose?
    Nope, everything needed to build the binary is in the Turbonator .zips. MP Tune has it's own assembler. The .tpl + .asm generally have to stay together. I often have many template file changes (I'm still learning about the cals, too and sometimes change the names to better represent what the value is for, or I improve the scaling factors, etc.). MP Tune checks that the version number between the .tpl and .asm match.

So in other words, is the "cal" the combination of the .tpl file with the .asm file it calls out? Or are there other things? (like the .mpr/.mpc files..other libraries, etc..)
    Nope, just the .tpl + the .asm. Together, they make a complete assembly file that can run through the assembler.

In the future, I may split the .asm into several files of more modular code, but for now you only need those 2.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast