Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CLASS: Getting MPSCAN to talk to the Chrylser ECU

turbo addict

CLASS: Getting MPSCAN to talk to the Chrylser ECU

The focus of this thread is to help people get MPSCAN to talk to the Chrysler ECU.

Topics of discussion related to this are:

• Selecting and configuring a laptop for use with MPSCAN
    • Downloading and installing MPSCAN
    • Selecting, installing, and operating an SCI interface (USB to SCI cable)
    • Setting up MPSCAN to log and monitor live data

Please do not discuss other topics in this thread, such as tuning, AFR logging, burning or flashing, etc..

There will be or are other "CLASS" threads for those purposes.

Anyone in here can be a teacher or a student.

There is a work-in-progress procedure for these topics in the form of a wiki here:

http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...id=cable_setup

Please read that procedure and this thread to see if your question has been answered.

If not please provide feedback in this thread about what the procedure is lacking or how you would like to see it changed, in order to help others.

turbo addict

Re: CLASS: Getting MPSCAN to talk to the Chrylser ECU

okay I put the download link to the latest MPSCAN in the wiki

Some questions:

-what are the system requirements for MPSCAN? (OS, service packs, USB types, frameworks)
    -does MPSCAN require administrator privledges to install? what about to run?
    -why are there two files inside the MPSCAN zip file (setup and MPSCAN)
    -is it possible to release MPSCAN as just a zip file which unzips into a folder and requires no setup?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

-mpscan will run on windows xp sp2 and above. it targets the net framework 3.5 (although all dlls used should support ver 2.0). the setup program will prompt you to install framework 3.5 if it isn't already installed. usb ports should be 2.0 (1.0 untested?!) or above to maximize the benefits of the ftdi chip (as well as others).

-mpscan does require admin privileges since it installs by default in the protected areas of windows. starting with version 2.0.2.4 the program was modified to use the standard default windows file locations for storing programs and user data. this should eliminate UAC prompts on vista and above unless there is a program update.

-the mpscan.zip file contains 2 files, an .msi file and a .exe file. this is a standard installation convention. you should always execute the .exe file which is basically a wrapper around the .msi file and will do additional file checking for any program prerequisites.

-it MAY be possible to create mpscan as a standalone exe file (e.g. using c++ or delphi and trying to statically link the 3rd party dlls). however, there are numerous benefits beyond the scope of this forum on why using the .net framework is more beneficial long term. plus its much easier for me :-)
    Last edited by wowzer; 01-26-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: updated information
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    -mpscan will run on windows xp sp3 and above. it targets the net framework 3.5 although all dlls used should support ver 2.0. since i do not have any computers anymore that run just the net framework 2.0 i am unsure how (or if) it works or if the program will require you to install 3.5. i would suggest everyone install 3.5 or 4.0. usb ports should be 2.0 or above to maximize the benefits of the ftdi chip (as well as others).

*if someone does have an old win xp version i would be interested in what prompts/extra software you are required to install when you install mpscan (or mptune). its been too long ago for me to remember.

-mpscan does require admin privileges since it installs by default in the protected areas of windows. starting with version 2.0.2.4 the program was modified to use the standard default windows file locations for storing programs versus data. this should eliminate UAC prompts on vista and above unless there is a program update.

-the mpscan.zip file contains 2 files, an .msi file and a .exe file. this is a standard installation convention. you should always execute the .exe file which is basically a wrapper around the .msi file and will do additional file checking for any program prerequisites.

-it MAY be possible to create mpscan as a standalone exe file (e.g. using c++ or delphi and trying to statically link the 3rd party dlls). however, there are numerous benefits beyond the scope of this forum on why using the .net framework is more beneficial long term. plus its much easier for me :-)
    Are you sure about USB 2.0 being required? Arent the data rates involved extremely slow even compared to USB 1.0?

I ask because many pre 2006 laptops which would be very cheap are likely to have USB 1.0, but meet all the other required specs.

i am NOT sure about usb 1.0. i have not tested it so i could not recommend it. it would seem to make sense that since the max rates do not exceed 62.5k that it "should" work. i'll dig around at home this week and see if i still have any old functional laptops with xp on them and usb 1.1. since 2.0 has been out since the early 2000's and added quite a few features/capabilities i'ld be surprised if most cheap laptops don't at least have 1 usb 2.0 port.

turbo addict

I was going to say, a laptop with usb 1.0's is ancient.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I was going to say, a laptop with usb 1.0's is ancient.
    if we're talking about TD'rs looking on craigslist for a $25 laptop..it may be what we get

no reason to raise the cost of minimum entry if not needed

lol even a 1999 laptop would be 7 years newer than any TM/TD

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

You can also buy the exact same laptop/tablet/convertible I use (running Win8, has a USB3.0 port) for about $150 on eBay. It has a nice enough screen to tune on, and can easily be mounted in a car using a generic 10" tablet mount. (Asus T100TA)

You can't really expect to do anything serious with a $25 laptop. I'm not saying it won't work, but you should spend more on your tuning hardware than the cost of a tank of gas.

I guess, really, there's 'minimum' requirements; and then 'recommended' requirements. There is probably a very wide margin between the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    if we're talking about TD'rs looking on craigslist for a $25 laptop..it may be what we get

no reason to raise the cost of minimum entry if not needed

lol even a 1999 laptop would be 7 years newer than any TM/TD
    Maybe someone should go and get a $25 laptop with a USB1 port and see what happens...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    You can also buy the exact same laptop/tablet/convertible I use (running Win8, has a USB3.0 port) for about $150 on eBay. It has a nice enough screen to tune on, and can easily be mounted in a car using a generic 10" tablet mount. (Asus T100TA)

You can't really expect to do anything serious with a $25 laptop. I'm not saying it won't work, but you should spend more on your tuning hardware than the cost of a tank of gas.

I guess, really, there's 'minimum' requirements; and then 'recommended' requirements. There is probably a very wide margin between the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe someone should go and get a $25 laptop with a USB1 port and see what happens...
    I see two major problems with an ULTRA-cheap old laptop:

-Battery is probably toast (although you can get cheap replacement batteries for just about anything on flea bay, that or buy a cheap-o DC to AC inverter)
    -Screen may not be TFT if its a REALLY old laptop, like pre 2000. Dual scan is horrible to use in any situation.
    -May simply have a zillion functional issues from being beat up. Random failures will get in the way of getting stuff done. Especially logging.

A nice thing about having a super cheap laptop for MPSCAN is that its probably going to get beat up anyways being dragged around the car. So now you dont have to worry about it since its practically throw away. Use your filthy oily fingers on it, leave it under the seat, who cares!

I have some old laptops that are probably in the $25 price range. I'll give them a shot.

89TonaVa / VaShelby bought some super cheap junk laptop (lol) off craigslist and I think he got it working..or maybe not...89TonaVa what did you get? I think you abandoned it and got MPSCANDROID working instead right? I think the battery on it kept dying

Might be a good time to find a very cheap DC to AC inverter. My t60p which I use as my only computer has a very short battery life..so even if you are using a "good" laptop that is simply a few years old, an inverter might be a good choice. Id say a 150W one for $10 would fit the bill.

turbo addict

I use a new laptop at work (I'm a dodge dealer tech) with witech to diagnose cars and we've never had problems breaking laptops. We used to use old Panasonic toughbooks. They just got too old to run the newer Chrysler witech diagnostic application.

boostaholic

I made a deal with 2 people on CL this past week and neither one turned up to sell.
    I'm still behind the 8 ball

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I made a deal with 2 people on CL this past week and neither one turned up to sell.
    I'm still behind the 8 ball
    no prob just keep us up to date.as soon as you need help just say the word

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Battery life was the main issue I had with the old winXP toshiba 15" that died on me. Also it was very hard to see anything on it in the daylight. Otherwise it worked great, no issues with MPTune or Scan.

I'm gonna try and pick up a Win7 netbook from a friend this week, he had been using it on his Camaro and Firebird for tuning and logging. Says the battery in it will last 6 hours or so doing that sort of thing.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Use a power inverter?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by krut View Post
    Use a power inverter?
    Heres one. 100W cont, 150W peak, $12 shipped. This would probably handle most laptops, but check your power supply wattage first:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Targus-100W-...item5d5462b2b3

Hybrid booster

I'm really quite a ways from writing a CAL(or several, I'm sure),
    but I've looked around, and gathered some of the equipment necessary to write CALs, burn chips, etc.

If I had one question at this point it would be:
    A few months from now, me or any member are "BRAND NEW" to writing CALs,
    Will these "CLASS" threads include all I'll need to successfully get the job done?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by knownenemy View Post
    I'm really quite a ways from writing a CAL(or several, I'm sure),
    but I've looked around, and gathered some of the equipment necessary to write CALs, burn chips, etc.

If I had one question at this point it would be:
    A few months from now, me or any member are "BRAND NEW" to writing CALs,
    Will these "CLASS" threads include all I'll need to successfully get the job done?
    The purpose of the "classes" are to refine the procedures in the wiki so that the class threads (and any other threads regarding these topics) stop being necessary, and the wiki answers all...so yes hopefully

Hybrid booster

Okay. Wowzer, if the dll's from .net 2.0 work, is there a way to keep mpscan from targeting .net 35? I am trying to do something kind of goofball, and don't think I can't get .net framework 3.5 to work.

I'll see what I can get set up. Need to find a PC where I can downgrade to 2.0. The biggest test will be getting the 3d graphing third party control I use to work.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    I'll see what I can get set up. Need to find a PC where I can downgrade to 2.0. The biggest test will be getting the 3d graphing third party control I use to work.
    It would be appreciated but don't wreck your brains over it. I got dotnet45 working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast