Thread: how to adjust front konis

boostaholic

how to adjust front konis

I've had the konis rebuilt on my 87 glhs. It sits really high in front and the ride is terrible. I put the koni adjuster knob on them and it doesn't want to turn either way. I don't want to force it and break the knob. Any suggestions?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: how to adjust front konis

I would spray with some kroil up there and let sit for a while. Jon Trotter broke one of his adjusters off a couple of years ago. He wasn't cranking on it either. Of course it broke flush with the top of the shaft so good luck making it turn again.

boostaholic

could be the sway bar is installed upside down too in regard the ride height.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    could be the sway bar is installed upside down too in regard the ride height.
    +1. First thing I thought of when I heard it sits too high. Wouldn't be the first time that is for sure...
    Todd

turbo addict

I've done that. I tightened the sway bar down with the car in the air. It was 4x4 mode and rode hard as a rock.

turbo addict

Yeah, there's the issue. You don't tighten the sway bar down without the car's suspension compressed to ride height, otherwise it binds.

I would loosen it up, then drive the car up onto some ramps, then re-tighten it.

See if the ride gets any better. The adjustment on the Koni's is mainly for rebound control. Jounce is slightly affected, but not much. So, if this car has the stock suspension under it and you can push down on the front of the car and compress the suspension, then chances are the struts are locked up and need to be rebuilt.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

This might be useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia