Thread: Anyone used these seats?

turbo addict

Anyone used these seats?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1100/overview/

Anyone used these? I have a set I'd like to put in a Pbody. I'm tall and always have the seat leaned back pretty far to fit. I'm afraid if I mount them flat to the stock rails they will be to upright. Also, it's a non tilt car, will it be a pain in the but to get out off? Any pics would be great.

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: Anyone used these seats?

I used to have one in the Matchbox. They were mounted to thick box aluminum then to the floor. The next time to the track I was told that I had to have the reinforcement bar behind it....then next time out I was told the stock belts were no longer legal and that the harness would need to be also bolted to the reinforcement bar behind the seat. I did all that I was told...then of course the belts became out of date after a couple of years...so I took the seat out, the reinforcement bar out, in went stock belt and stock Neon seat. The summit race seat, harness, hand made seat brackets, and bar all weighed the SAME as the stock belts and Neon seat! It did not matter to the inspectors that the car was running high 16s back then!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

I was planning on bolting them to the stock rails. My local track thinks everything FWD is slow so I'm not too worried about tech. I'm putting the car together for street racing and a local outlaw type event. If the track gives me issues I can put a stock seat in for the couple times a year it will see the track.

I find it odd they want all that for these seats. I'm sure they are much stronger then most factory economic buckets, like base neon seats lol.

turbo addict

I have seen a few over the years have the mountings on the actual seat get partially ripped out when the reinforcement bar behind the seat was not tight enough. The seats backs need to be bolted solidly to the bar. No fwd and aft movement of any kind will have them last forever. Some other seat failures I have seen had no reinforcement bar at all and were in lowly 17-18 second cars...the heavier the driver in the unreinforced seats are the most problematic.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

Odd. I know a guy that used these in his Jeep for over 30 years with no issues and no back bar. But he was 5' 5" maybe 170. Kinda makes me not want to use them though. I plan on putting a bottle right behind the pass seat, and these won't give me easy access. I've.got base shadow seats now, and a set of base neon seats I could use. But I was wanting the plastic ones to shave some weight, give that "racecar" feel (corny I know), and get the extra bolstering. Decisions decisions....

turbo addict

The nicest thing about going from the racing seats to normal car seats is that I can recline and take a nap on the sometimes long trips to places I race. I also found that I was having lower back pains until I put a thick large book under the after market seat covers. Back when I was using the race seat I was just under 260 lbs, but everything was braced as it was supposed to be. I would LOVE to get a Shelby CSX seat to replace the Neon one though.....who wouldn't!

turbo addict

This car actually is a 89 CSX. It had reccaros. But I had to part it out when I wasn't working a few years ago. Couldn't get a bite at 2k, I've sold over 3k in parts and still have a running driving car. It's now just a base shadow with a T2 (vnt is gone) that handles really well. The car they should have sold from the factory and never did

Since nobody has brought this up, does the car have a roll bar? My understanding is that for a fixed (does not recline) seat like this, you need to have a roll bar.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Since nobody has brought this up, does the car have a roll bar? My understanding is that for a fixed (does not recline) seat like this, you need to have a roll bar.
    Matchbox did not have to have a roll bar since it was too slow, but I did have to put in a reinforcing bar...perfect fit was from the middle pillar between the doors.

Not saying the rules require a roll bar, but since the seat is not designed to "give", it is much safer to have a roll bar with those seats if you are in a roll over accident...

Garrett booster

I have these in my daytona I had to make custom bracket mounts and you will need non power seat rack.

boostaholic

They are very uncomfortable on a long trip

turbo addict

I had them in my 87 GLHS mounted on stock seat racks. I'm 6'-3". I added extra foam padding for comfort.

boostaholic

I used Daytona rails and seats in my Sundance....lowered the seat perfectly and had plenty of head and leg room for me (6'2" and 300 pounds)....LeBaron rails are the same IIRC.

Garrett booster