Thread: Help needed with DA polishing

turbo addict

Help needed with DA polishing

I have the typical porter cable DA polisher.

I can get great results with a certain combination of pads and compound that works perfect on my black paint.

Problem is, if the surface isnt flat and big, things dont go so well.

Like the little step in the door sill thats only an inch wide.

Or up near the weatherstripping on the door.

Or the mirrors which have so much curvature how am I supposed to do anything with control?

I really dont want to start removing trim. Is there another clever way? I've tried putting tape under trim or just rubbing the edge of the pad on the step but the results are poor and dont come out like the large flat areas.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Help needed with DA polishing

I personally don't like using a DA polisher. Never had much luck with them. I use a variable speed unit I purchased at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-10...her-60626.html I also use a specific polishing system that is absolutely amazing: http://www.systemfiftyone.com/?cat=3

I think the results speak for themselves. It's water based, so it cleans up fast, and I have had no issue with burning the paint, or any other issues. It works just like they say it does...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131115_0000.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	53113
    Last edited by 83scamp; 01-21-2015 at 02:00 PM.

The link is not working for me...

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    The link is not working for me...

Is it working now? I can see it... Sorry about that...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I personally don't like using a DA polisher. Never had much luck with them. I use a variable speed unit I purchased at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-10...her-60626.html I also use a specific polishing system that is absolutely amazing: http://www.systemfiftyone.com/?cat=3

I think the results speak for themselves. It's water based, so it cleans up fast, and I have had no issue with burning the paint, or any other issues. It works just like they say it does...

Looks very nice.

I had a difficult time finding a combination that worked on a black 09 vette. Everything left swirl marks. I bought compound and pads from special places that were recommended and worked well on other vehicles..no luck.

Finally I tried out a certain combination (forget what made me try it..I think I just read someone had good results on a forum).

Works incredible. Zero swirl marks even with a flourescent light held directly at an angle and looking through a microscope (yes seriously). No "holograms" at odd angles. Zilch. Just deep endless black, before its even got wax on it.

EDIT: Its actually a really amazing combo. I can reliably erase bird poo marks, water spots, scuffs, anything. But then the final step removes the swirls left by that "cleaning" step, and its flawless.

My issue is with physically being able to polish in the nooks and crannies and around trim. The machine and pad are just too big. And I need to apply things in a certain way to get the high quality finish, so I cant just touch whatever with the pad and it magically works, its still hard work and needs to be done carefully.

What I really need is a way to get the same results, but by hand with rags or something. Or a "micro" DA. Hmmmm...I wonder if I could make one?

Mothers offers a micro DA that attaches to the end of a cordless drill. Maybe give that a try?