Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here wants to get started tuning the stock ECU?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Who here wants to get started tuning the stock ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    2nd this...
    Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Yup. This is one of the reasons I suggest getting datalogging going..helps troubleshoot your platform before you ever use it for power-tuning.
    How so? I can see where it could help identify bad sensors, but what else?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

Everyone's talking about data log this, data log that...

You also won't need anything but a chip burner, a ZIF socket, and chips as far as real equipment.
    Agree. Never data log, my car runs 20 psi and still together. Ostrich does make real-time tuning super easy for us LM users.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I don't even have the fuel pressure where I want it yet lol

You CANNOT tune when your hardware are not up to spec!!! Nothing to be "lol" at, unless you really hate your engine and want to drown it with gasoline.

turbo addict

You CANNOT tune when your hardware are not up to spec!!! Nothing to be "lol" at, unless you really hate your engine and want to drown it with gasoline.[/QUOTE]

My fp is set lower than 55 psi right now. The cal was supposed to be for 55 like stock. I have an afpr and have it turned down and it's still that rich at idle. It's the cal I'm not an idiot

boostaholic

The problems I've had and had been chasing all turned out to be items that would net set codes. VSS, MAP etc. Would logging help this? Maybe. I think these items were on the brink and in unison where creating gremlins. Plus I fed them after midnight..my bad.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    The problems I've had and had been chasing all turned out to be items that would net set codes. VSS, MAP etc. Would logging help this? Maybe.
    A simple otc 4000e scanner would be just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83NtIg4x7I

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I think Asa's point is, if you get logging setup, MP Scan can do everything a scantool can for the price of a $40 (or less) cable.

Of course, setting up MP Scan can be difficult, hence the reason for wanting it to be part of the wiki.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

How so? I can see where it could help identify bad sensors, but what else?
    The same way a Chrysler DRB II /OTC is used as a diagnostic tool?

turbo addict

I think Asa's point is, if you get logging setup, MP Scan can do everything a scantool can for the price of a $40 (or less) cable.

Of course, setting up MP Scan can be difficult, hence the reason for wanting it to be part of the wiki.
    Yep!

And simultaneously, getting MPSCAN logging means you have established communication with the ECU and are laying the foundation for flashing.

OTOH, if you have too much trouble getting logging working, then it probably makes more sense to get a dedicated scan tool to get your engine working if its a daily driver.

I am sensing some odd perceptions of data logging, almost as if its some kind of aristocratic thing or should somehow be avoided as a badge of honor or that its some kind of cheating or crutch? Data logging is having the ECU tell you what all its inputs (and outputs) are, and recording all of it for easy review later. I also include in the term "logging" diagnostic functions like reading fault codes or activating the many ECU outputs. I think its sort of strange anyone would intentionally avoid this bag of tools when it costs so little, make detailed analysis both for troubleshooting and tuning much easier and more thorough, and gives the beginner a much clearer idea of whats happening in the engine and how your cal is operating.

boostaholic

Well I'm rather 'tech savy' I set up logging on the lancer. I had a heck of a time getting the gauges setup and displaying what I wanted for some reason. Some of the gauges that were named a certain way, at least what I thought they were, did nothing or showed something that made no sense.

Perhaps this is an exposure thing where I need to just sit in the car on a saturday morning with a pot of coffee and just work the problem.

turbo addict

Well I'm rather 'tech savy' I set up logging on the lancer. I had a heck of a time getting the gauges setup and displaying what I wanted for some reason. Some of the gauges that were named a certain way, at least what I thought they were, did nothing or showed something that made no sense.

Perhaps this is an exposure thing where I need to just sit in the car on a saturday morning with a pot of coffee and just work the problem.
    I would say give it another shot.

Some things to remember:

-if you are not using a boostbutton SCI cable, I cant help you because I dont know about other cables (someone else might be able to though)
    -make sure MPSCAN says "FTDI" at the bottom of the window. This tells you it is definitely using the boostbutton cable and not some other random serial device.
    -if anything goes wrong with communication, the ECU will start ignoring your attempts, and you will need to cycle the key on and off to try again. In this situation, MPSCAN will tell you there is a USB/serial port problem, which is not true.
    -it may be easier to try basic reading of sensors while you are initially getting MPSCAN going, instead of setting up gauges
    -setting up gauges for logging is a somewhat convoluted process and does not intuitively flow. Once you've done it once its no big deal, but the first time can be odd. Heres my instructions on doing it:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ml#post3375194

turbo addict

Shel-game, why dont we start laying out the skeleton for an invincible MPSCAN/logging procedure? I'll start:

***THIS IS A PRELIMINARY PROCEDURE AND MAY NOT BE CORRECT***

a- verify computer/OS is proper for MPSCAN (where are the specific system requirements, including any additional packages/frameworks needed?)
    b- make sure Boostbutton SCI cable is NOT plugged into computer and NOT plugged into vehicle
    c- Download and install MPSCAN software. Or install using included CD from boost button. (where is official place to get it?)
    d- Do not open MPSCAN. If you have opened it, close it.
    e- Install boost button SCI cable into USB port. (do the correct drivers automatically load properly in EVERY situation?)
    f- determine what com port the SCI cable installed to by going into control panel/system/ports/com ports/properties (is this required or will MPSCAN autodetect?)
    g- Run MPSCAN
    h- select the com port from (f) in MPSCAN
    i- verify the bottom of the MPSCAN window says "FTDI blah blah"
    j- turn key off in car
    k- plug cable into vehicle diagnostic connector
    l- turn key on in car
    m- in MPSCAN, go to the sensor window, click "connect to ecu" and request a sensor update for TPS volts or something
    n- confirm that the in the lower right part of the window, the sensor data appeared
    o- if this did not work, try turning the key on and off, then repeat from m)

And this concludes getting MPSCAN communication established.

boostaholic

I have a boost button cable and had to jump through some major hoops to get ftdi to work on my computer.
    Last edited by going4speed; 01-19-2015 at 03:00 PM.

turbo addict

I have a boots button cable and had to jump through some major hoops to get ftdi to work on my computer.
    Would be good to hear what Shelgame has to say about this. Also do you remember what you had to do to get it to work?

boostaholic

I dont really remember. Kind of burned out on it if you know what I mean.

Have not tried in some time. That's why I'm in here to try learn before I dedicate any time to it. Dont have much time to mess around with stuff and go through a major learning curve right now.

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Shel-game, why dont we start laying out the skeleton for an invincible MPSCAN/logging procedure? I'll start:

***THIS IS A PRELIMINARY PROCEDURE AND MAY NOT BE CORRECT***

a- verify computer/OS is proper for MPSCAN (where are the specific system requirements, including any additional packages/frameworks needed?)
    b- make sure Boostbutton SCI cable is NOT plugged into computer and NOT plugged into vehicle
    c- Download and install MPSCAN software. Or install using included CD from boost button. (where is official place to get it?)
    The official location is wowzers google site - https://sites.google.com/site/mpsuite/mpscan

d- Do not open MPSCAN. If you have opened it, close it.
    e- Install boost button SCI cable into USB port. (do the correct drivers automatically load properly in EVERY situation?)
    Not automatically. You need to follow this - http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...id=cable_setup
    At least, from step 8 if you bought the cable from me. It's a 1-time deal. Once Windows is setup to read it as a COM port, it's OK.

f- determine what com port the SCI cable installed to by going into control panel/system/ports/com ports/properties (is this required or will MPSCAN autodetect?)
    MPScan should auto detect if it's the only port you have. If there's another one for a WB controller for example, it might get confused and pick the lowest number one. I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, you should already know the COM port number from the step above.

g- Run MPSCAN
    h- select the com port from (f) in MPSCAN
    i- verify the bottom of the MPSCAN window says "FTDI blah blah"
    j- turn key off in car
    k- plug cable into vehicle diagnostic connector
    l- turn key on in car
    m- in MPSCAN, go to the sensor window, click "connect to ecu" and request a sensor update for TPS volts or something
    I think there should be a step in here to confirm the ECU type? Definitely not all ECU's use the exact same protocol for sensor check. I don't remember how wowzer set this up, but I think it maybe only works for SMEC and SBEC. I'm not positive, though.

n- confirm that the in the lower right part of the window, the sensor data appeared
    o- if this did not work, try turning the key on and off, then repeat from m)

And this concludes getting MPSCAN communication established.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I dont really remember. Kind of burned out on it if you know what I mean.

Have not tried in some time. That's why I'm in here to try learn before I dedicate any time to it. Dont have much time to mess around with stuff and go through a major learning curve right now.
    I totally understand. If you end up giving it a shot, please try the procedure skeleton you see laid out here, and let us know what goes wrong, and we'll adjust it until it works. Your suffering will be remembered forever by all

turbo addict

Phase IV - Make adjustments

1. Unless you have a really wild setup you'll just need to adjust the pumping table. If you were lean move the table up at 2K if you were rich, move it down.
    I'm not picking on anyone, but this is exactly what I was getting on about. OK, so I'm going to adjust the "pumping table". Why? "Because it works" doesn't do it for me. OK...it works. What am I really changing? How does this interact with the rest of the tables? What does it do in terms of affecting how the engine runs? What parameters of the engine affect the table?

(Note: I have read the description on the linked site and that is getting very close to what I was looking for, so good job! The only thing I see left out is if it affects other tables and if so which ones.)

Like I said before, I understand this is super high level and is supposed to be a very basic tutorial for people like me who have been kicking this idea around for the last 15 years and still have yet to try and connect a laptop to my SMEC! LOL However, I might be more inclined if I didn't feel like I was just doing things "because it works".

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I'm not picking on anyone, but this is exactly what I was getting on about. OK, so I'm going to adjust the "pumping table". Why? "Because it works" doesn't do it for me. OK...it works. What am I really changing? How does this interact with the rest of the tables? What does it do in terms of affecting how the engine runs? What parameters of the engine affect the table?

(Note: I have read the description on the linked site and that is getting very close to what I was looking for, so good job! The only thing I see left out is if it affects other tables and if so which ones.)

Like I said before, I understand this is super high level and is supposed to be a very basic tutorial for people like me who have been kicking this idea around for the last 15 years and still have yet to try and connect a laptop to my SMEC! LOL However, I might be more inclined if I didn't feel like I was just doing things "because it works".
    I would have to agree. I think the TD/TM world has enough equipment and know-how now with folks like Shelgame and lots of other people to move to the next level and have a pretty good grip on what we are doing when we change the cal.

I think most people who know how to adjust fuel pressure manually with an AFPR to meet an AFR could grasp whats going on when they change the cal. Its just there is such a steep learning STEP to get the hardware and software operational first. Then you can finally start learning about tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post

http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonato...?id=fuel_setup

Too much?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

That information is very good Rob, but it wont be much use to people who dont already have a solid understanding of whats going on. Its sort of a seminar on "How the Chrysler ECU does things you already know other ECU's do.". But I think there needs to be a seminar "How an ECU manages an engine." to get more people on board.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast