Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Who here wants to get started tuning the stock ECU?

boostaholic

Re: Who here wants to get started tuning the stock ECU?

Yea when I saw that I was hoping it could be powered by the computer as I have a wicked high pitch sound in the stereo being generated by the wideband uego. I figured the computer might provide a cleaner ground that may mitigate the sound/feedback.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Weird, my AEM WB has never caused any noise.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

might have something to do with the 14 speaker stereo with 1200 watts I installed.

Lol, may be.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

If you are running Win 7 for MP Scan, there may be an issue loading the SCI-USB cable drivers. Apparently, MS now has thier own driver download for the cable, and it must be based on an older FTDI driver - because it doesn't work in VCP mode.

When you plug in a cable to a PC the first time, it will load as a 'USB Serial Device'; in device manager under the 'USB Devices'. If you open the properties, you can enable it to load the 'VCP' (Virtual COM Port) driver. You need to check this box. Then, unplug and re-plug the cable. Windows should now re-load the VCP drivers for the cable. If it doesn't load right as indicated above, you will get a yellow exclamation point in the Windows device manager.

If that happens, you will need to manually install the FDTI-sourced driver from here. Simply run the .exe from the download, and the FTDI cable should appear as a COM port.

Not sure if this happens in other versions of Windows. I know it happens in Win 7, and I assume 8, 8.1. Not sure about XP.
    Last edited by ShelGame; 06-28-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

On my little Win7 Dell, I had to get the drivers from that link, Windows Update had nothing for the ftdi board I use. Did have to check the VCP box, and I think I had to uninstall the drivers and allow it to reload them afterwards. When it pops up saying Searching Windows Update for drivers, I clicked on skip and it downloaded the drivers from the file instead.

One other note, I have to have the cable/board plugged into the computer before opening MP Scan, it does not seem to recognize that you plug it in after it's opened.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post

One other note, I have to have the cable/board plugged into the computer before opening MP Scan, it does not seem to recognize that you plug it in after it's opened.
    when you plug in a usb cable it sends windows a "message". if the software does not listen for the message it will not reinitialize the usb port. i think i did set that up in mptune but don't think i ever set it up in mpscan. i'll have to check.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

I think it may also be a hardware revision from FTDI. The newer cables seem to have this problem, but older ones don't.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Is anyone having issues with MPTune? It kept coming up with errors and had issues updating, I uninstalled/reinstalled/updated, and now whenever I go to open up a .tpl it crashes. I tried an old file that I know works and a fresh .zip from your google site Rob, any thoughts. BTW Win 7, freshly updated.

Quote Originally Posted by mratliff86 View Post
    Is anyone having issues with MPTune? It kept coming up with errors and had issues updating, I uninstalled/reinstalled/updated, and now whenever I go to open up a .tpl it crashes. I tried an old file that I know works and a fresh .zip from your google site Rob, any thoughts. BTW Win 7, freshly updated.
    what kind of errors? does it show a message? screen shots? not enough info to help at this point.....

It works fine with no issues for me, on Win 7 and 8 (and XP before that computer crashed )
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    It works fine with no issues for me, on Win 7 and 8 (and XP before that computer crashed )
    Understood, I will try uninstall/install again, and get some snaps of the screen before update. I will also double check my security settings to see if that has anything to do with it, but I didn't change those so I wouldn't think that to be the issue.

Garrett booster

Okay, so the errors show up on initial install, prior to the MPTune update. Everything on my computer seems okay, .NET stuff is all up to date. What version of MPTune are you on Rob?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so the errors show up on initial install, prior to the MPTune update. Everything on my computer seems okay, .NET stuff is all up to date. What version of MPTune are you on Rob?
    Or Anyone else?

Ver. 2.0.4.8, it automatically updates on close if there is an update available.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Okay, so the errors show up on initial install, prior to the MPTune update. Everything on my computer seems okay, .NET stuff is all up to date. What version of MPTune are you on Rob? Or Anyone else?
    if you are doing a fresh install, i would recommend that you always start mptune, wait 10 seconds, then exit again before trying to open a cal for the first time. that way you can be assured that the latest version will be installed.

i will update the complete install package this week some time so it has the most current version.

would you give me some specifics on the errors you are seeing. is it when you first start mptune the first time, or when opening a cal, or ....?

thanks.
    - - - Updated - - -

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    if you are doing a fresh install, i would recommend that you always start mptune, wait 10 seconds, then exit again before trying to open a cal for the first time. that way you can be assured that the latest version will be installed.

i will update the complete install package this week some time so it has the most current version.

would you give me some specifics on the errors you are seeing. is it when you first start mptune the first time, or when opening a cal, or ....?

thanks.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The errors are only when trying to open a .tpl before the update. After the update, I try to open a .tpl, and it just closes. MPTune appears to open up okay before and after the update.

The errors are only when trying to open a .tpl before the update. After the update, I try to open a .tpl, and it just closes. MPTune appears to open up okay before and after the update.
    What .TPL?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    What .TPL?
    Tried one I downloaded fresh, one I used that is running in my car now, and another that I know works. I tried with fresh downloads of both GLHS and 87 LM. Always the same, MPTune opens fine, try opening the .tpl and it crashes.

Tried one I downloaded fresh, one I used that is running in my car now, and another that I know works. I tried with fresh downloads of both GLHS and 87 LM. Always the same, MPTune opens fine, try opening the .tpl and it crashes.
    what do you mean it crashes? i.e. it won't load the tpl and gives you errors, or mptune locks up/bombs out, etc? need more info!!! do you have a screen shot of any error messages? tell me a specific tpl you are opening when it bombs. are you able to open a tsmec tpl ok?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    what do you mean it crashes? i.e. it won't load the tpl and gives you errors, or mptune locks up/bombs out, etc? need more info!!! do you have a screen shot of any error messages? tell me a specific tpl you are opening when it bombs. are you able to open a tsmec tpl ok?
    It shuts down, will not open the .tpl, no errors, nothing. Opens up and seems fine, click the folder to open, click a .tpl, closes out completely. Nothing in the processes in task manager, no error messages, nothing. The specific .tpl is the GLHS 87. It is very frustrating as I used it to program the computer in my R/T and it works fine, I think it is something between MPTune and my machine, but can't figure it out.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast