Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbonator Cals - What's next?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Turbonator Cals - What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Rob,

I am building a 86 Shelby Charger with a 2.4. I "plan" on running stock electronics with the distributor on cam. I will be willing to be a guinea pig if you want to see how far stock electronics will work. Plus upside is that I am local to you. Car should be running by spring. Let me know if this would be of interest to you or not?

Paul
    Sure. Sounds like fun.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Ok cool. I will keep you posted on what happens with the car. I'm hoping by April to have the car going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Im actually getting excited about this!!
    Me too! It's been needed for a long time. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and push to get it done. Now that I have it installed and somewhat figured out, I think the wiki format will work well.

Keep the ideas coming.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Me too! It's been needed for a long time. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and push to get it done. Now that I have it installed and somewhat figured out, I think the wiki format will work well.

Keep the ideas coming.
    I think since you are admin of the wiki, you can have a HUGE positive influence on what parts of it get focused on by contributors and yourself. If all it has is a section on just getting MPSCAN working, then you can get that to the point where its very refined and everybody (or nearly everybody) has success with it and there arent people struggling. Then you can move to the next step like "Making a basic edit to a cal, and then flashing the cal". And get everyone up to speed on that. And then go on with what a typical tuning session looks like as far as logging, doing a run on the street, making decisions based on that data, etc..

I know it might seem a little too conservative of an approach. But if you start writing stuff about how to do tuning and also at the same time how to just get MPSCAN running, I think it will spread things too thin and in the end only the people who already have MPSCAN running will be listening, and everyone else who may want to get MPSCAN up and running will still be stuck.

I would imagine you have a customer list of people who bought the SCI cable. If any of those people are having trouble, then they might have some valuable insight into whats keeping their setup from working, whatever it be. And if any of them are up and running, they too would have some interesting perspective on how they got stuff to work. All that experience should be distilled and put into the wiki, as far as what does work, what trips people up, what to do and not to do, whether it makes it in directly like "dont use windows xp SP0" (just making that up), or if it indirectly guides how to write the procedure so people get to the finish line smoother, thats JUICE!

turbo addict

I know a while ago you were in the works of creating a whole new board with a quicker processor, I think, what ever happened with that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    I know a while ago you were in the works of creating a whole new board with a quicker processor, I think, what ever happened with that?
    The Super LM - it's still on my mind. Just been busy getting the spark-cut code 'mature' before I tackle building a complete new codebase for essentially a new micro processor core.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Is there any way, and this is just a shot in the dark here, but will our injector drivers support 2 injectors each?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

They already do. It's batch fire. Do you mean 4 each?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Yes sorry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Rob, We're not "pushing" you to do it per se. this thread is proof that there are lots of us that are willing to help. I'm willing in whatever capacity I can. Maybe I can contribute to the "what not to do" section

Sounds like you all are on the right track, I love the Wiki thing. It could help spread the documentation load a bit and has the potential to be "living" documentation that the tuning community needs.
    acannall, I think you're right on about the starting point and about those of us that have been through some problems being able to provide some help with the documentation.
    I'll also agree that it should start with some basic tuning theory. I know it's out in the forums ( I've found a lot of it ) but to have it all in one place would be outstanding.

For example: I've noticed that I can't have mpscan open and try to launch mptune, it always locks up one app or the other.
    Sometimes mptune wont see the ECU even though it shows the correct com port ( sometimes swapping usb ports fixes that issue, sometimes a restart of mptune works, and sometimes I have to reboot the laptop completely )
    For someone that isn't too computer savvy may not even think to do any of that.
    I never did manage to get mpscan to connect to a stock ecu ( smec ) although I was sure I read somewhere that it could be done...

Some folks are plug and play, the manual is too long, give me the high level stuff.
    Others are " give me EVERY last detail about EVERY last setting " ( this is me...I.T. professionals disease )
    I learned a HUGE amount from comparing the files and reading the comments in quite a few different calibration bases. Everything from the ladybug/blueberry cals to the recent 19.6.asm file.

You actually read the .asm? Wow. I thought I was the only one that looked st that. Awesome.

If anything, I'm pushing myself to do this. Its been needed for a long time. I've started several times, but I find it hard to simplify and only give the basic info. I go into way too much detail too fast. Engineers disease, I'm afraid...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

For example: I've noticed that I can't have mpscan open and try to launch mptune, it always locks up one app or the other.
    Sometimes mptune wont see the ECU even though it shows the correct com port ( sometimes swapping usb ports fixes that issue, sometimes a restart of mptune works, and sometimes I have to reboot the laptop completely )
    I never did manage to get mpscan to connect to a stock ecu ( smec ) although I was sure I read somewhere that it could be done...
    Its experiences like this, which are very common, that make me think starting off with a base cal is premature.

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Its experiences like this, which are very common, that make me think starting off with a base cal is premature.
    Yeah, I get it. Maybe I'm over reacting. Clearly, datalogging needs to work for anyone that wants to use it.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Yeah, I get it. Maybe I'm over reacting. Clearly, datalogging needs to work for anyone that wants to use it.
    just to be clear, because I dont know, the flashing takes place over the SCI bus right?

So by proving that datalogging works, you have established that SCI bus comms are taking place on your setup, and that flashing should also work, right?

I keep thinking there is an "Extra" wire used just for flashing

The SMEC needs a wire added to the 60way to bootstrap it. The SBEC boots over the Rx line and doesn't need a wire added to the connector. Either way, you do need a switch to flash.

Because the SBEC boots over the Rx line, if you roll your own cable, you have to be careful to protect the FTDI cable (or whatever you use) from the boot voltage. So, in that case, proving that SCI coms works for logging is not necessarily enough.

The SMEC doesn't have that concern.

Of course, you can log an LM also, and they are not flashable at all.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Seems like a flow chart could be the way to go if it were built using a few different recordings of walk throughs with a variety of users of different skill levels.

That way the unfamiliar ask the right questions, rather than omitting something as common knowledge, or getting lost in the minor details.

I'd go on but I think I'd just be stating the obvious and don't want to clutter the thread too much.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    I'll take a look at that next week.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Hybrid booster

You actually read the .asm? Wow. I thought I was the only one that looked st that. Awesome.

If anything, I'm pushing myself to do this. Its been needed for a long time. I've started several times, but I find it hard to simplify and only give the basic info. I go into way too much detail too fast. Engineers disease, I'm afraid...
    Yes, I read it. Looks like a big stored proc from SQL. I think I was trying to figure out if momentary switch for launch control meant "hold" or "push and release to activate"
    Some good comments, and some funny coder comments too... 150% PEFTBL code...
    I'm a "gotta know why/how" person

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Seems like a flow chart could be the way to go if it were built using a few different recordings of walk throughs with a variety of users of different skill levels.

That way the unfamiliar ask the right questions, rather than omitting something as common knowledge, or getting lost in the minor details.

I'd go on but I think I'd just be stating the obvious and don't want to clutter the thread too much.

Mike
    Agreed, What's obvious for some may not be for others

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    I'll take a look at that next week.
    No worries, I know computers and how they like to "forget" peripherals and , from back in the day , PC's don't like to share comm ports, but this may not be something that everyone knows.

I'd also just like to say that I typically don't run them at the same time. Personally I don't feel comfortable with fighting for comm ports while trying to write an ECU...( having flashbacks of failed BIOS/firmware updates )
    AND, I always do a read first before flashing.

After spending a week in Germany, i really want to get the flat shift feature up and going.

Apparently, my hotel was on the main drag in downtown for Friday night. Hearing the Porsches, BMWs and turbo Mercs going round all night with the flat shift thing made me want to get it going for the SMEC and SBEC.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Flat shift that cuts spark so the fuel burns in the turbo and keeps it spooled with spark cut rev limiter too please Just ditch the fuel cut rev limiter all together.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast