Thread: SRT-4 Mileage Reports ...and GO!

Garrett booster

SRT-4 Mileage Reports ...and GO!

Hey there, I have a 2004 Dodge SRT-4 in the fastest color made, PB5 of course! Anyway, it has some tasteful modifications for about 400hp via e85.

Mod List:
    Walbro, E1 Turbo, BFMIC, 3" TBE MPX w/ cat, solid MM + TM inserts, Duster 360 injector's and tunes, FM wastegate, and an aFe CAI, custom catchcan. That's it. On 93 at low elevations of New York State 100-400' typically I should be around 350whp gas / 400whp e85.

My blue beast now has 160,000 reliable miles on it and still ticking at about 26psi spike - 22psi hold.

I now live in Colorado, in the mountains to be exact around 8,000' elevation. I frequent elevations between 5,000-10,000' normally and have noticed the higher I go in elevation the better my fuel economy gets! At first, I expected the exact opposite, but then thought about it more. I guess the higher I go, the less oxygen the sensor detects which increases the PSI and decreases fuel to compensate. Then I thought this would cause detonation and horrible afr's... Well, my afr's are spot on, a bit messed up at WOT on the lean side but expected. The turbo screams bloody murder and I have backed PSI down twice now trying to adjust for the elevation.

Now, I don't go extremely fast anymore, but I do WOT almost every drive, every day at least once.

Now in Colorado or Utah or Wyoming, I get 38mpg HWY!!! In colorado alone, where I drive from the mountains 8,000' down a winding canyon to 5,000' to school and back up daily, I average 32 MPG!!!

Does anyone else out there get even close to these results???

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: SRT-4 Mileage Reports ...and GO!

Is the turbine housing bigger on the E1 turbo? Bigger turbine wheel or anything? I've read that the big turbo SRT4s get better mileage than the stock turbo cars because they aren't constantly in boost whenever you're on the gas at all. Do you think there's any truth to that? I would love an SRT4, but I don't know that I could justify it unless I was getting the mpgs you're seeing while at my 600' elevation.

Garrett booster

The E1 conversion, is when you send the stock (Mitsubishi TD04LR-15Gk with a 6 cm2 (0.93 sq in) turbine inlet.) into a Larger compressor wheel and mild turbine blade clip to improve flow. I think the guys on the SRT forums compare it to a 16g. I can go up steady inclines with 0psi at appropriate speeds and watch my gauge to ensure I do so, but often enough coming out of corners (this canyon is 28miles of constant turns) I will hit 1-5psi to get back to 45-50mph.

Garrett booster

Back in NY I saw 31mpg once or twice on a HWY trip. I typically saw 24-27mpg with 50/50 driving though. 93oct.

When using e85 I got about 17mpg in NY, about 22mpg in CO. 50/50 driving

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I have heard that 34mpg is tops for highway mpg on an srt4, but i have no personal experience other than my srt4-swapped van which has a stupid transmission and gets HALF of 34 mpg.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

2004 with 33k miles, MP stage 2 no toys. Stop and go city driving, about 20. Local driving (bit more mixed) 22-24. Highway (75 mph or so) 30-32.

Garrett booster

and that's near sea level right?

I am.

Garrett booster

Keep posting them, I want to know if anyone else is this high up on the MPG scale, who's from the mountains!? Nobody has seen 400miles on 1 tank, maybe I should do it and take a picture for everyone on SRTforums!

boostaholic

Last SDAC that was in Maryland, I drove from Cleveland to Pittsburgh to meet up with some people.
    We stopped at a gas station and I figured I might as well fill up since everyone else is,(I didn't even look at the gauge), I only managed to put a few gallons.
    I couldn't figure why the pumped stopped so early, could not squeeze in anymore if I tried.
    MPG worked out to be mid 30's
    Then going home was another story, low 20's
    Factor, wind.
    As I was fighting the wind the whole way home I remembered the wind was strong when we drove there, but it was a tailwind.
    Stage 2 w/toys and a big wheel stock turbo on Mopar stage 1 springs-(since rumor is lowered cars get better MPG's)
    Just flipped 25,000 miles when I put her away for the winter

Garrett booster

well done! Mid 30 at low elevations.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor

With my E1 I get average of 27 in mixed traffic. On long trips on the interstate at 70, I get 32. Using air will be a little lower. I have made 35+ with two tanks at 60 when it rained most of my 1100 mile trip. I have 165,000 mile with only a oil sensor failure on the engine. Uses 1/2 quart of oil every 3000 mile...............E1 ported manifoid, 3 in down pipe, 2 1/2 Mopar all the way back.

Garrett booster

Souns like similar great results, though mine eats 1.5qt ea 3000miles.