Thread: 89 Shadow/CSX glass questions...

Garrett booster

89 Shadow/CSX glass questions...

I removed the window tint on the side glass, cleaned them up, and am very satisfied with the results. The tint came off a lot harder on the quarter panel and rear window glass, to the point I would just like to take them out and finish work that way. I don't want to use any chemicals that may possibly damage or color fade any interior pieces. How do you remove the quarter panel glass? It looks like you just remove the screw that holds the window and keep pushing out gently from the weather strip. I am treating this as a restoration and would like to re-use the glass. The rear window is a wild card. It has rear defrost and may be more worth while to either find one at the yard or just replace entirely. Any suggestions? I used a steamer to remove the tint and it worked pretty well. Thanks!

turbo addict

Re: 89 Shadow/CSX glass questions...

The side glass has as you stated a screw which holds the rear portion of glass against the weatherstrip. The front side is attached by rivets and metal. I believe you have access to these under the B pillar plastic fascia. The glass will pivot outward quite a bit, this should provide you a lot of room to work without drilling out the rivets. The quarter glass was apparently designed as a vent much like the minivans but that was never put into production that I am aware of. I plan on making my quarter glass functional on my CSXT this spring using minivan pivots.
    The rear glass is glued in butyl or urethane in the P-bodies. Don't they have some chemical to remove tinting? I removed all my tinting from a 87 Shelby Z without removing any glass from vehicle. Yes it was pretty time consuming. I did get it all off with no damage to defrost grids.
    Good luck!
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 89 Shadow/CSX glass questions...

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    The side glass has as you stated a screw which holds the rear portion of glass against the weatherstrip. The front side is attached by rivets and metal. I believe you have access to these under the B pillar plastic fascia. The glass will pivot outward quite a bit, this should provide you a lot of room to work without drilling out the rivets. The quarter glass was apparently designed as a vent much like the minivans but that was never put into production that I am aware of. I plan on making my quarter glass functional on my CSXT this spring using minivan pivots.
    The rear glass is glued in butyl or urethane in the P-bodies. Don't they have some chemical to remove tinting? I removed all my tinting from a 87 Shelby Z without removing any glass from vehicle. Yes it was pretty time consuming. I did get it all off with no damage to defrost grids.
    Good luck!
    Todd
    Ammonia will remove tint from windows very well. I should have done that with my CSX.