Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: MegaSquirt Successes Needed

turbo addict

Re: MegaSquirt Successes Needed

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I'd like to see how everyone is running there crank trigger setups. And what's needed to do this
    I bought a custom trigger wheel from an outfit in TX. It was 36-1 wheel and the ID was slightly smaller than the OD of the outer edge of the pulley. I made a mandrel for the pulley and turned it on the lathe for a slip fit. Slipped thw wheel on the pulley and trued with an indicator and stitch welded it. I used tha diy hall effect and vr input signal. I mounted the sensor on the left viewing the front of the engine. I had pictures in my build thread but I think they're gone now. IIRC Slowe will make you a setup for the 36-1 trigger.

turbo addict

Anyone using the stock sensors on a 2.0/2.4 motor?

Believe that is what Mike is planning on doing with the Contraption.

turbo addict

This would be awsome if it could be done on the 2.0/2.4 and would be a setup I'd like to figure out myself. Also could the 16v sensors and flywheel be used to help out instead of a crank trigger for the 2.2/2.5
    Last edited by bgbmxer; 01-14-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

On my 2.4 I'm using 2.4 Chrysler Cam and Crank sensors. TPS and IAC are 2.2/2.5 Chrysler. IAT and CTS are GM style sensors from DIY AutoTune. MAP sensor is built into MS. I also wired for a narrow band '89 Chrysler four wire O2 but MS is currently reading an AEM wideband.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    On my 2.4 I'm using 2.4 Chrysler Cam and Crank sensors. TPS and IAC are 2.2/2.5 Chrysler. IAT and CTS are GM style sensors from DIY AutoTune. MAP sensor is built into MS. I also wired for a narrow band '89 Chrysler four wire O2 but MS is currently reading an AEM wideband.
    Awsome stuff. Looks like I'll be going to ms when I go 2.4 and rwd.

turbo addict

1) Because crank trigger is more accurate- No belt whipping or cam flex to throw things off. There is zero chance of the timing being off due to debris in the belt, etc.

2) I also have a VVT setup for a SOHC I have been wanting to do some testing... so running off the cam not practical ;-)
    awesome and awesome!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'll be using a variety of sensors.
    Factory Chrysler cam and crank sensors.
    GM coolant and charge temp sensors (which are pretty much the same as the SMEC era 2.2 chrysler sensors)
    Ford IAC and TPS, as I'll be using a Ford throttle body. I've also read that the Ford pulsewidth modulation style IAC's are easier to tune.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

This is starting to yield the information I was looking for. I still am not convinced that MS is the way to go, but and am waiting for more successes, before making a decision.

One thing that might be a big plus for Pro-M is that it uses a Mass Air Flow sensor. I don't know if MS can handle them.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaserDad View Post
    One thing that might be a big plus for Pro-M is that it uses a Mass Air Flow sensor. I don't know if MS can handle them.
    Why is using a MAF a plus? MS is capable of using/reading them. Not sure why you need to?

MAF's are a pain in the butt on turbo cars.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

I know this is off topic, but as far as I remember a MAF setup is a pain in terms of boost leaks, since the MAF is measuring air flow instead of manifold pressure. But what would be to gain from a MAF vs a MAP? PRO/CONs? If there's an obvious gain, you can then at that point argue that MS has an advantage as it allows you to utilize non standard sensors for the EMS. What about using both? Is that possible?

turbo addict

MAF's are a pain in the butt on turbo cars.
    they dont like open bov's or vacuum/boost leaks, get dirty and dont work correctly, they can be a restriction in the air flow path to the turbo.

but when they work, they measure the amount of air entering the engine accurately so they will give you better fuel mileage and when tuned properly for the correct sized maf sensor, can measure a fairly large amount of airflow (at least 3 bars worth on our engines in smaller sizes and a lot more in the bigger sizes)

Hybrid booster

Megasquirt can run on 3 different modes. Speed Density(MAP/TPS driven), Alpha-N(MAF driven), and then a third one for the use of individual throttle bodies. Don't recall the name of it.

There hasn't been any activity for a few days, so I'm giving it a bump in hopes that someone, who has made it work, will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserDad View Post
    There hasn't been any activity for a few days, so I'm giving it a bump in hopes that someone, who has made it work, will see it.
    Quite a few have made it work. Or are you looking for somebody that made it work with a distributor?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    they dont like open bov's or vacuum/boost leaks, get dirty and dont work correctly, they can be a restriction in the air flow path to the turbo.

but when they work, they measure the amount of air entering the engine accurately so they will give you better fuel mileage and when tuned properly for the correct sized maf sensor, can measure a fairly large amount of airflow (at least 3 bars worth on our engines in smaller sizes and a lot more in the bigger sizes)
    My buddy is building a turbo mustang and his MAF is blow through I think.

Hybrid booster

Back in the day (probably 6 years ago now), I had a Turbo Coupe that I was working on converting from draw through Vane Air Meter to blow through MAF. At that point, between the turbo 2.3 world and the big turbo v8 guys were using the PMAS HPX MAF. I had one but ended up selling it off. Everyone said that they were impossible to max out when set up properly. In our case, I wouldn't bother as it would be another component to buy that isn't necessarily required.

I read on the other forum at some point that someone figured out how to use the dual HEP decoder with MS3 but I can't remember details. I'll paste it over here if I find it again.

Something I like with MS is that you can use a tablet for tuning, and with Shadow Dash, you can set up a gauge on a tablet for any parameter that MS reads/controls. Makes it more versatile.

I am leaning toward running MS3 Pro, with a 36-1 wheel. The MAF sensor isn't a big deal, but what happens if I decide to run without the turbo connected? Wouldn't that mess up the tuning?

I'm sure some are asking, why would you run w/o the turbo? Previous experience has shown that hoses sometimes pop off, at high boost, and I'm not going to waste a 30 min track session to reconnect them.

Hybrid booster

I can't answer that 100% as I'm not much into tuning yet, but I'd imagine that the MAP would show the lack of boost and it wouldn't add fuel.

Honestly, you would probably want to reconnect the intercooler hoses regardless because you'd likely overspin the turbo and cook the bearings.