Thread: Project - 86 Omni GLH Turbo

Threaded View

Hybrid booster

Project - 86 Omni GLH Turbo

Touching lightly on some vehicle history, this build and the highlights begin with the following.

Barry Goodall is the previous owner of this well cared for GLH Turbo-I and over the years he has up-fitted it with some nice upgraded components.
    Although, a nagging interest has been expressed for numerous years in owning the car, even though I'm attempting to minimize the current fleet.
    But as this has already provided many moments of enjoyment for my kids and I, owning the car has been a joy and has taken on greater meaning which is primarily due to my kids taking an active interest.
    With them by my side, the car began a minor transformation...
    - Enjoy

The car is in amazingly good condition and over the years the powertrain has been upgraded by numerous people at various times.
    This had the car with JE forged pistons, a big valve head, a mildly upgraded turbo and some nicely coated induction and exhaust hardware.
    Although and unfortunately, the MP DC intercooler module has always been the Achilles heel to the package.
    This was largely due to its use of the T-I injectors and its lethargic 11psi limitation.
    With the above Achilles heel, the car struggled to accomplish a low 15 second 1/4 mile.
    Therefore, the module, injectors, and some additional hardware were destined for some adjustment.

Before any of this could begin, a determination was needed to understand why the cars last hardware arrangement was less than successful.
    Noted were numerous dis-assemblies, rebuilds and subsequent re-assemblies that had the block head bolt holes exhausted of any future use.
    A large contributing factor to the cylinder head failure was the use of a cross-drilled head gasket on a cylinder head without supporting provisions elsewhere.
    In this case, the head was starved of vital coolant flow and has been retired due to cracking in three locations.
    As mentioned above, the engine block was exhausted of meeting any future head bolt torque specs and was also discarded.
    Therefore, an additional short block provided with the car would be the new direction.

The alternate block had one item of interest that was already implemented on another engine currently installed in my 85 Charger.
    The 1987 T-I block had pistons that were .030" out of the hole and perfect for testing and initial electronics set-up.
    Likewise, the cylinder head was replaced with a stock valved head with improved port work over the MP head.

The resulting package is as follows:

• 1987 block
    • Forged T-II crank
    • JE forged pistons (.030" out of the hole)
    • Ported 8V head w/ stock valves
    • S60 Cam (destined for removal)
    • A/R plus equivalent Turbo-I
    • 46mm Turbo-I throttle body
    • 2.5 inch exhaust
    • 14psi / +20inj electronics combination

The first round package yielded a 13.5 @ 106mph, on a $50 set of Falken 195/50R15's and is responsive joy to drive on the street.

"Stay Tuned"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_LR_Painted.jpg 
Views:	1340 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	52636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_Installed.jpg 
Views:	1357 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	52635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_Cleaning.jpg 
Views:	1205 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	52634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eng_Stand.jpg 
Views:	1194 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	52633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_Painted.jpg 
Views:	1202 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	52637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omni_Orig_Eng.jpg 
Views:	2257 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	52638  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omni1.jpg 
Views:	1650 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	52639  
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-13-2015 at 11:40 PM.