Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project - 86 Omni GLH Turbo

Hybrid booster

Project - 86 Omni GLH Turbo

Touching lightly on some vehicle history, this build and the highlights begin with the following.

Barry Goodall is the previous owner of this well cared for GLH Turbo-I and over the years he has up-fitted it with some nice upgraded components.
    Although, a nagging interest has been expressed for numerous years in owning the car, even though I'm attempting to minimize the current fleet.
    But as this has already provided many moments of enjoyment for my kids and I, owning the car has been a joy and has taken on greater meaning which is primarily due to my kids taking an active interest.
    With them by my side, the car began a minor transformation...
    - Enjoy

The car is in amazingly good condition and over the years the powertrain has been upgraded by numerous people at various times.
    This had the car with JE forged pistons, a big valve head, a mildly upgraded turbo and some nicely coated induction and exhaust hardware.
    Although and unfortunately, the MP DC intercooler module has always been the Achilles heel to the package.
    This was largely due to its use of the T-I injectors and its lethargic 11psi limitation.
    With the above Achilles heel, the car struggled to accomplish a low 15 second 1/4 mile.
    Therefore, the module, injectors, and some additional hardware were destined for some adjustment.

Before any of this could begin, a determination was needed to understand why the cars last hardware arrangement was less than successful.
    Noted were numerous dis-assemblies, rebuilds and subsequent re-assemblies that had the block head bolt holes exhausted of any future use.
    A large contributing factor to the cylinder head failure was the use of a cross-drilled head gasket on a cylinder head without supporting provisions elsewhere.
    In this case, the head was starved of vital coolant flow and has been retired due to cracking in three locations.
    As mentioned above, the engine block was exhausted of meeting any future head bolt torque specs and was also discarded.
    Therefore, an additional short block provided with the car would be the new direction.

The alternate block had one item of interest that was already implemented on another engine currently installed in my 85 Charger.
    The 1987 T-I block had pistons that were .030" out of the hole and perfect for testing and initial electronics set-up.
    Likewise, the cylinder head was replaced with a stock valved head with improved port work over the MP head.

The resulting package is as follows:

• 1987 block
    • Forged T-II crank
    • JE forged pistons (.030" out of the hole)
    • Ported 8V head w/ stock valves
    • S60 Cam (destined for removal)
    • A/R plus equivalent Turbo-I
    • 46mm Turbo-I throttle body
    • 2.5 inch exhaust
    • 14psi / +20inj electronics combination

The first round package yielded a 13.5 @ 106mph, on a $50 set of Falken 195/50R15's and is responsive joy to drive on the street.

"Stay Tuned"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_LR_Painted.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	52636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_Installed.jpg 
Views:	1309 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	52635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_Cleaning.jpg 
Views:	1164 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	52634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eng_Stand.jpg 
Views:	1148 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	52633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLH_Eng_Comp_Painted.jpg 
Views:	1159 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	52637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omni_Orig_Eng.jpg 
Views:	2214 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	52638  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omni1.jpg 
Views:	1601 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	52639  
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-13-2015 at 11:40 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Project - 86 Omni GLH Turbo

Ken,
    Nice work so far. Assuming this is still running the DC (Turbo-Auto) intercooler and intake manifold? My Spearco intercooled GLHT has gone 109 MPH consistently and had a best of 111 MPH on a very cool day. My motor has been pretty bulletproof, but can't say the same for the a525's attached to it. On tranny # 5 in 46k miles. You're gonna find lots of people that say why bother on a log intake manifold. Looking forward to this thread. Good luck and have fun with the project.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Ken,
    Nice work so far. Assuming this is still running the DC (Turbo-Auto) intercooler and intake manifold?
    My Spearco intercooled GLHT has gone 109 MPH consistently and had a best of 111 MPH on a very cool day.
    My motor has been pretty bulletproof, but can't say the same for the a525's attached to it.
    On tranny # 5 in 46k miles.
    You're gonna find lots of people that say why bother on a log intake manifold.
    Looking forward to this thread. Good luck and have fun with the project.
    Todd
    Thanks Todd.
    This is a very mild arrangement but there's something very 'fun' about using the "yestertech" hardware and being somewhat successful with it.
    Throw a set of slicks on the car and 12's become reality... quite easily.
    The largest disadvantage of the turbo-I isn't the intake as much as the suck through TB.
    With a suck-through, the TB needs to be considerably larger than what works on a T-II arrangement, due to turbo compressor inlet and outlet efficiencies.
    Therefore, a slated upgrade is 4.7 H.O. 70mm TB that has nearly the same provisions/locations of the AIS and TPS and coincidentally mates perfectly with the T-I TB elbow.
    Neatly concealed while being very effective to lower the turbo shaft speeds, for the same amount of boost, which equates to a much cooler intake charge and reduced exhaust back pressure.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.

turbo addict

I agree with the pull thru throttle body. I am also using a 46mm (old LRE "big mouth TB) mine is slightly relocated (about 3/4") so I could use a mandrel bent 90° steel tubing instead of the cast 90° elbow. Mates up nicely with compressor inlet for my T3 60 trim compressor wheel. Yes. I too get lots of "nostalgic" comments when I bring car to SDAC events. It even got some exposure from Car Craft Summer Nationals photographers this past year. Haven't really done anything to mine except enjoy it for about last 10 years. Was going to drop in my masi motor into it and friends keep telling me "NO" don't do it, put it in something else.
    Todd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Nice project and im sure it will end up being my 'other favorite' log car besides Todd's. Although Wes (don't remember his last name or username) did build a really nice and neet looking setup on that green charger with all the old DC pieces on it.

Also i second the opinion that Todd should put that Masi motor in something else!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Nostalgic - I understand that completely.
    Having both Ultimate Daytona/Shelby Prototype 2.5 16V Lotus engines constantly nagging me for a home, it's been a challenge to say no.
    This would mean getting incredibly stupid with HP/Torque to weight ratios and utilizing high gearing to make it worth while.
    On the contrary having an 8V DC kit that can easily be set up to run 115+ in the quarter is just simply.. cool !

So the plan is...

A second block will be assembled.. .040" out of the hole.
    S60 cam is gone for stock 87 flat tappet
    T3/T4 hybrid prototype Innovative Turbo dual ball bearing turbo (Participated in its testing)
    +40 % injectors
    +70mm TB and corresponding elbow
    2.5 BAR MAP
    18 psi

This is estimated to be a nice street combination capable of 11 second passes nearing 120mph, all with the over the valve cover DC "Interheater" set up.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-06-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It's great to hear that your kids are getting in on the fun. That must make a world of difference in how the projects come along. Keep us updated.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wow.! Awesome car, nice project!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Wow.! Awesome car, nice project!
    Thank you and coincidentally I'm building the hard top version of your convertible Shadow (Tim did an amazing job on that car).
    It's being built from the original production plan, Chrysler meeting minutes and will utilize the original 2.5L 16V Shelby Prototype engine with all of the original NOS parts within 1989 CSX #65.
    That project is slated for this coming summer and with some help from Carroll Shelby Enterprises, the final pieces are now in place.
    Having more original pieces than most actual prototypes, it's been 15 years in the making.

Thanks again - I admire your Omni !
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-06-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    It's great to hear that your kids are getting in on the fun. That must make a world of difference in how the projects come along. Keep us updated.
    Without them, I was ready to walk away from all of this.. 30 years of this had me somewhat drained and becoming disinterested until they kicked in.
    On that note, I'm ridding myself of the 'warehouse' and TM members will either get first purchase access or discounts within EBay.

Thanks !
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.

turbo addict

swirl head or g-head? and what fuel do you plan on running? im just interested oh ya, and what tranny?

I have never seen the underside of the dc hood/scoop, is it a functioning cowl induction, or could it be made to be more "functional"? like rubber seals and a plate that would "force" the air through the intercooler at speed? or a slim fan that could be placed underneath to pull cool air through it?

anyways, AWESOME PROJECT! and as said before, even more awesome the kids are involved, honestly!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    swirl head or g-head? and what fuel do you plan on running? im just interested oh ya, and what tranny?

I have never seen the underside of the dc hood/scoop, is it a functioning cowl induction, or could it be made to be more "functional"? like rubber seals and a plate that would "force" the air through the intercooler at speed? or a slim fan that could be placed underneath to pull cool air through it?

anyways, AWESOME PROJECT! and as said before, even more awesome the kids are involved, honestly!
    I will not use anything but a G-head unless I correct/weld the FB chamber.
    But even so, it's easier to fill in the inadequacies of the G-Head ports rather than to risk porting through a FB to accomplish the task.

The trans is currently an A525 but already near/at its limit.

Fuel - I target a 25% mix of racing fuel when it's all done.
    This maintains and supports proper burn rates, supports proper burn within the turbine housing for wheel excitation, without violating MBT (exceeding spark advance timing that reduces output)

It's a blast to drive and responsive beyond compare - it's going to get better and receive a breath of free breathing, over time.

turbo addict

nice!

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Thank you and coincidentally I'm building the hard top version of your convertible Shadow (Tim did an amazing job on that car).
    It's being built from the original production plan, Chrysler meeting minutes and will utilize the original 2.5L 16V Shelby Prototype engine with all of the original NOS parts within 1989 CSX #65.
    That project is slated for this coming summer and with some help from Carroll Shelby Enterprises, the final pieces are now in place.
    Having more original pieces than most actual prototypes, it's been 15 years in the making.

Thanks again - I admire your Omni !
    The convertible was indeed a great car, I enjoyed it while I had it. Tim didn't cut any corners. Your upcoming project sounds cool, what contributions is Shelby Enterprises making toward it? Thanks for the nice comment on my Omni, I really enjoy it, that's why I find yours so nice, separated at birth.
    Last edited by CoolV300C; 01-07-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Hybrid booster

The convertible was indeed a great car, I enjoyed it while I had it. Tim didn't cut any corners. Your upcoming project sounds cool, what contributions is Shelby Enterprises making toward it? Thanks for the nice comment on my Omni, I really enjoy it, that's why I find yours so nice, separated at birth.
    Just out of curiosity, whats you're VIN?
    They've been helpful throughout the years - from test data/hard-parts to documentation.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 01-07-2015 at 09:29 AM.

turbo addict

Cool project!! I ran a DC intercooler setup on my '84 Daytona (my first TD). That car was a lot of fun!!!!

turbo addict

I'am a fan of a draw through set up. I would like to see a combo with the larger TB that you speak of, but instead use a modified blow through style intake while still using the DC intercooler set up.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Just out of curiosity, whats you're VIN?
    They've been helpful throughout the years - from test data/hard-parts to documentation.
    Out of town today for work, can pm you later with it.

Hybrid booster

Out of town today for work, can pm you later with it.
    No rush - just the last six.

turbo addict

What's the reasoning behind running the pistons .30-.40 out of the hole ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast