Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a 1985 Turbo EFI Lebaron

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Purchasing a 1985 Turbo EFI Lebaron

Quote Originally Posted by TopGunRMNP View Post
    So, for the time being utilizing the exhaust with no cat or muffler right now and then buying a new "tune" essentially in the form of some kind of chip, then I have to solder it in somewhere on the logic module, which is now called pcm will get me decent gains? What size is the exhaust on these stock 1.75 or 2.0?

Lol. I'm getting old.

Yes the exhaust you have on there (no muffler or cat) along with a chip will yield some good gains. IIRC guys have gone mid 14s with good tires, an MP cal and some boost.

The stock down pipe on your car should be 2.25", but it necks down pretty severely before it goes over the rear axle I think back there it's about 1.75". On my NYer I have 3" exhaust from the turbo back. I just run a 3" DP and then a 90* bend to dump it out in front of the rear tire.

In order to run the 3" DP you'll need at least a 2.5" swing valve on the turbo. You can port those out to darn near 3", but a 3" SV from Turbos Unleashed would be easier and even bigger. Shadow on the boards here can make your existing 2.25" SV into a 3" mandrel bend piece for a fee if he still offers that service. IMO that or the ATP swing valve with the V band is the way to go. Certainly there is a diminishing returns factor at play here and if a cheap 2.5" piece pops up on the boards here used that's the way I would go. Even more so if you're staying TI log powered.

Garrett booster

I contacted the member you suggested about the chip. So I basically tell him or someone that makes the chips what parameters I need, or what elevation I live at and what setup I am running and then they setup all new parameters for me that increase boost, back off timing and increase fuel if possible etc? Basically a fresh tune that I just solder into the LM?

I contacted the member you suggested about the chip. So I basically tell him or someone that makes the chips what parameters I need, or what elevation I live at and what setup I am running and then they setup all new parameters for me that increase boost, back off timing and increase fuel if possible etc? Basically a fresh tune that I just solder into the LM?
    That's basically it although I'm not sure he's doing custom TI log stuff. Mopar Performance made LMs for the log cars back when. They'll pop up for sale on occasion for $100 or more. However, Rob (or anyone with a burner) can burn you the MP file and you just have to replace the chip on your LM. I would recommend installing a ZIF socket to make chip changes easier in the future.

Garrett booster

Ugh, lol im mechanicaly and electronically inclined but I have no idea what these are.

Ugh, lol im mechanicaly and electronically inclined but I have no idea what these are.
    Read through the link I posted to my site. ZIF stands for zero insertion force. It makes it to where you flip a lever and you can insert or remove the chip super easily. I believe Rob sells the style I prefer on his site.

Garrett booster

Read through it a few times, so am I able to use my existing TI LM for step 3 and 4? I am lost when you are talking about step 1 and 2, not sure what the problem would be or the problem. I guess, lack of power and wanting of more? ha

So I need the soldering Iron and Desoldering Iron + the ZIF so I can just plug n play the chips that you also purchased, then the new programming "tunes" are loaded onto the chips with all normal operations with the addition of better performance etc?

So Part 1 and 2 is to identify how to create a new program/tune?

So 1, 2, and the purchasing of the chips can be skipped if purchasing an already programmed one custom one for my vehicle if I can find someone that does it? Can all this be skipped with an allready chipped or re-programmed entire LM that I plug n play?

Sorry for all the Q, just looking to add power before I head back to school the 26nd.

Wow, that was written a long time ago. Sorry about that. Most of the stuff I talk about isn't even available any longer. You're just going to need step 4 really. Take out the old chip and put in the new one. Since you'll be staying with the TI log your LM will work just fine. I believe you'll only need to remove the "top chip" of the two on that corner of the board.

Since you are going to be getting the chip from Rob you'll only have to worry about the chip install. Frankly, I think he does it for so cheap you may as well just send it off to him.

Garrett booster

Sweet, i'll wait for the reply. So from starting at 142, what do you think his chip and the stock exhaust without cat and muffler would put down?

Garrett booster

I haven't checked plug and wire brands, but do these old turbo mopars prefer a certain type, usually champion copper comes to mind. The SRT loves the NGK Iridiums only. Also, should I get the larger distributor that is described in the TII upgrade?

Hybrid booster

So, for the time being utilizing the exhaust with no cat or muffler right now and then buying a new "tune" essentially in the form of some kind of chip, then I have to solder it in somewhere on the logic module, which is now called pcm will get me decent gains? What size is the exhaust on these stock 1.75 or 2.0?

The stock exhaust system has a 2 1/4" down pipe and likely 2" pipe over the rear axle. Upgrading to 2 1/2" all the way back will help, there are kits available from FWD Performance. (in the vendor section on here) You could also get a logic module from them with more boost, they have them in different stages.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Garrett booster

Thanks spray, I emailed them and contacted the fella here about it. Could you tell me about your IC log intake? I know boost needs cold, but I do not weld.

Garrett booster

I got the tune reply and was told I need the 86+ distributor life I've read before, but then he said I need to do wiring modification so the LM can take a tune. Is this the ZIF you were talking about, or more?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

The wiring mod is to change the connectors for the '86+ HEP (I'm not 100% sure that needs to be done, but I think they're different).

The ZIF is a Zero-Insertion-Force socket for the LM. It makes swapping ships easier.

I forgot to mention in my PM - I don't do any log cals. All of my cals assume a T2 style (or 1-piece) intake setup used from '88-on.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    The wiring mod is to change the connectors for the '86+ HEP (I'm not 100% sure that needs to be done, but I think they're different).

The ZIF is a Zero-Insertion-Force socket for the LM. It makes swapping ships easier.

I forgot to mention in my PM - I don't do any log cals. All of my cals assume a T2 style (or 1-piece) intake setup used from '88-on.
    Dang, ok, so where could I get a tuned chip for my log intake setup? Would it be easier or possible to take the T1 LM out and send it to someone that can just set it up and mail it back to me, is that what MP was doing?

Hybrid booster

Fwd performance has the 1985 Logic Modules socketed with the calibration on their site. I had one of their stage 2 LMs in my charger for a while and it was a pretty decent gain.

All I have done with my log car was a stage 2 LM, a half rigged up exhaust and k&n filter and it's pretty fun.

Garrett booster

oh wow! Thank you Tbird, should I go with the 14psi stage 2 computer then? I just take out my LM and plug this one in? It'll still be best with the 86 distributor though right and good cold plugs and wires, do they like copper or iridium more and what gap?

Garrett booster

would this car benefit from a drop in in filter or a cai? I imagine the bay is too hot to benefit from a cai with no ic?

turbo addict

would this car benefit from a drop in in filter or a cai? I imagine the bay is too hot to benefit from a cai with no ic?
    A little, just to help slow the compressor speed down per psi.

But really going T2 is going to make a huge difference. My 87 New Yorker converted to T2 through stock exhaust went 14.3 with the computer controlling boost to 14.5psi. Averaging about 22-23mpg around town on a good day.

Garrett booster

Where is the speedometer cable found, from firewall to driver's tire?

turbo addict

if it's a Digi dash it won't have a cable, just a sensor mounted in the output of the trans to the passenger side axle.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast