Thread: SMEC Filler material

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

SMEC Filler material

I've been looking for a while for a source for an epoxy similar to the one used in the SMEC and SBEC so that I don't have to use hot glue any more. I think I may have found the actual source.

http://www.epicresins.com/Applicatio...rethanePotting

Seems oddly familiar...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Re: SMEC Filler material

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I've been looking for a while for a source for an epoxy similar to the one used in the SMEC and SBEC so that I don't have to use hot glue any more. I think I may have found the actual source.

http://www.epicresins.com/Applicatio...rethanePotting

Seems oddly familiar...
    lol thats amazing! Im only familiar with the sbec..is that actually a TM ecu in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    lol thats amazing! Im only familiar with the sbec..is that actually a TM ecu in the pic?
    It is. I think its a later model SBECII for a truck.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

2015 is off to a good start so far. Now just find some new 60 way connector shells and the whole package is complete.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

What's next a whole new board with a MC9S12XEP100 processor, on the fly tuning, map tracing, onboard wideband, CAN bus for displays/ect
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The potting material contains isocyanates, use a mask and good ventalation.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/isocyanates/

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    What's next a whole new board with a MC9S12XEP100 processor, on the fly tuning, map tracing, onboard wideband, CAN bus for displays/ect
    Funny you mention that.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find good core computers. So, I was just looking at the MicroSquirt Module. This is a credit card sized processor board used in the PnP computers that DIY AutoTune makes. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to make a PnP board ourselves that uses that module and a salvaged 60-way board connector (they're surprisingly easy to salvage from a SMEC or SBEC).

But, then we have the issue of all of our tuning knowledge being thrown away. I'll have to inquire with Bowling & Grippo if it's allowable to modify their firmware to use the Chrysler logic and table format. It would be really sweet (IMO) to use a modern, MegaSquirt-based ECU and still be able to use the basic calibration data we already have.

Don't hold your breath, that's really a pipe dream at this point...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Funny you mention that.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find good core computers. So, I was just looking at the MicroSquirt Module. This is a credit card sized processor board used in the PnP computers that DIY AutoTune makes. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to make a PnP board ourselves that uses that module and a salvaged 60-way board connector (they're surprisingly easy to salvage from a SMEC or SBEC).

But, then we have the issue of all of our tuning knowledge being thrown away. I'll have to inquire with Bowling & Grippo if it's allowable to modify their firmware to use the Chrysler logic and table format. It would be really sweet (IMO) to use a modern, MegaSquirt-based ECU and still be able to use the basic calibration data we already have.

Don't hold your breath, that's really a pipe dream at this point...

I think just moving to the new format would be fine. For those that are too die hard to switch over, there would be plenty of cores to still support them. One of the reasons I still use the smec is the OEM quality and integration. If I were able to use megasquirt code but still keep cruise and other ecm controlled things the same with a plug in module I would jump on it. This doesn't help you out though as you would then have 2 setups to deal with.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

this would be an incredible step forward. i doubt it would take long before the tuning side of things would catch up again.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    this would be an incredible step forward. i doubt it would take long before the tuning side of things would catch up again.
    To me, some of the advantages of tuning the factory code is, you get to keep the factory driveability, emissions performance, and on-board diagnostics. Going to full-on MS, you lose some of that. And, we start over from square one tuning-wise. Then there's the knock sensor calibration. That's probably the big one.

2nd, the 2.2/2.5 distributor decoder for MS has been broken for a long time. We would need to fix that at least to make the PnP work.

Going slightly away from true PnP; add a few wires and that setup would make it easy to run waste spark - even with the HEP. We'd just need someone like Asa to make a billet HEP cover to replace the cap/rotor.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki