Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Check over, two a523's for different purposes.

boostaholic

Transmission Check over, two a523's for different purposes.

I am not sure how to title this. My friend bought an A523 at the junkyard a year ago, I am going to help him go thru it to check it over. This will be being installed into a decently powered Holset fed Spirit R/T. The transmission in question is of unkown miles and origin to me. We are planning to go through it, replace what is worn and put it back together and put it in his car with a new clutch.

When going through an a523, what should I be looking for, what wears out, what needs replacing. I was thinking replacing all seals would be a smart idea. I did already pick up a set of Lengel's bronze for pads for this build. What should I be looking for? I have never rebuilt a transmission in my life.

Secondly, after going through this transmission, I plan to go through my own which is also a a523, using this one as a guinea pig first. What needs to be done to this transmssion to handle big power in my IROC R/T? (500whp)
    My transmission is out of a 93 Shadow that was recently rebuilt before I got it, shift flawlessly right now.
    I talked to Jackson and I am going to have the front case bearing on the main shaft welded to the shaft. I am also installing a set of Lengel's bronze fork pads, but this one is also getting an OBX installed. I will also replace all the seals on this one too. I think this should wrap up any weaks parts of this transmission, but what else needs attention?
    Thanks

Forgot to mention, I'm adding drain plugs to both transmissions when they are apart.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 12-29-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Transmission Check over, two a523's for different purposes.

If you're checking out the sleeve on the main shaft that's the biggest concern IMO. Other than that make sure that the bearings and the teeth on the synchros and gears look decent. IIRC factory spec is 50% of the teeth left but I wouldn't put a gear back in that is so worn.

turbo addict

I worry about how much "wear" is left on the synchros to gear friction surface. You should be able to check with a feeler guage but I have never seen anyone share any numbers like I have seen for other transmissions. When synchros get too worn, they bind up on the gear instead of functioning.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    If you're checking out the sleeve on the main shaft that's the biggest concern IMO. Other than that make sure that the bearings and the teeth on the synchros and gears look decent. IIRC factory spec is 50% of the teeth left but I wouldn't put a gear back in that is so worn.
    I just read through the entire FSM I have on the 523/568, there is no mention of a sleeve on the main shaft. I also find no text on measuring the synchros and what is acceptable. I will look at them, see what condition they are in and possibly post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I worry about how much "wear" is left on the synchros to gear friction surface. You should be able to check with a feeler guage but I have never seen anyone share any numbers like I have seen for other transmissions. When synchros get too worn, they bind up on the gear instead of functioning.
    How would I check this? I understand how to use the feelers, but where am I checking for a thickness?

Also picked up a Miller tool 6252 on eBasy this morning for cheap, should help on the tear down as the only "difficult" tool to replicate.

Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I was talking about the sleeve that you're going to have tacked which the bearing rides on.

boostaholic

Ahh ok, I re-read through my FSM again. So I am going to be welding the inner race of the front intermediate bearing to the shaft. I will check over the bearing and race on both transmissions for wear since this seems to be a common failure point. I found JT's build log, that explained a lot.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    In my experience this is a big issue on the 555's(especially early build units) but not as much on the 523/568's. Definitely worth a look tho.

You're not planning on putting 500HP thru one axle are you Double?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Nobody shares the numbers because there are none. I have the factory training literature that the dealership techs would have used back in the day to service these things and its very lacking of detailed information like that. It says that if there are complaints about hard shifting/clashing then you should just replace the synchronizer rings and if that doesn't fix the problem then replace the gear and synchronizer.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    In my experience this is a big issue on the 555's(especially early build units) but not as much on the 523/568's. Definitely worth a look tho.

You're not planning on putting 500HP thru one axle are you Double?
    No, the built up transmission will be treated to an OBX. No more one tire fire.

Get a set of lock ring pliers also. Not snap ring.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-lock-...p-00947386000P

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post

How would I check this? I understand how to use the feelers, but where am I checking for a thickness?

Also picked up a Miller tool 6252 on eBasy this morning for cheap, should help on the tear down as the only "difficult" tool to replicate.

Thanks
    Message me for the specs on the distance from your brass stop rings to the speed gear measurements on 3-4-5. There is a certain window I have found that will tell you if it will grind or not... For the 1-2 I always flip the entire synchro assembly around so the 1st gear side now is used on the 2nd gear side. Usually the 1st gear side has much sharper sleeve teeth and more fiber left of the catch rings...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Nobody shares the numbers because there are none. I have the factory training literature that the dealership techs would have used back in the day to service these things and its very lacking of detailed information like that. It says that if there are complaints about hard shifting/clashing then you should just replace the synchronizer rings and if that doesn't fix the problem then replace the gear and synchronizer.
    I did find it interesting looking at rebuild videos in 2013 where other transmissions have posted clearances so you know when your synchro is too worn. Not much help when the parts don't exist to slap in new synchros at every complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Message me for the specs on the distance from your brass stop rings to the speed gear measurements on 3-4-5. There is a certain window I have found that will tell you if it will grind or not... For the 1-2 I always flip the entire synchro assembly around so the 1st gear side now is used on the 2nd gear side. Usually the 1st gear side has much sharper sleeve teeth and more fiber left of the catch rings...
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I found JT's build log, that explained a lot.
    Always glad to help! Let me know if you have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Get a set of lock ring pliers also. Not snap ring.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-lock-...p-00947386000P
    ^^^ THIS... I need these. I've used snap-ring pliers for years and have tricks to make them work and even modified one... but he's right, these will work a ton better

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Those need some minor file fitting to reach down inside that recess for the big snap ring that locates the sealed ball bearing otherwise they are good for the money spent. Those won't slip and you get better control so the risk of over expanding and ruining the retaining rings is greatly reduced.

boostaholic

lol sorry Brent I will get the numbers for you to go off of if I remember next time im in my shop. I have them written down with all my trans tools and such. I have measurements with an NOS 3-4-5 stop ring to speed gear and a few that I kept that did grind. They are really close from one gear to another so it should work for most anyones. They were like + or - .002

turbo addict

lol sorry Brent I will get the numbers for you to go off of if I remember next time im in my shop. I have them written down with all my trans tools and such. I have measurements with an NOS 3-4-5 stop ring to speed gear and a few that I kept that did grind. They are really close from one gear to another so it should work for most anyones. They were like + or - .002
    Visit the shop? What about 1st & 2nd? I don't even know how you would measure those.

boostaholic

Visit the shop? What about 1st & 2nd? I don't even know how you would measure those.
    Yes,just finished another trans. I checked an NOS 3-4-5 stop ring on 3 different speed gears and got a measurement of .057-058". Thats using a feeler gauge measuring the gap between the machined flat area of the stop ring and speed gear when its completely seated on it dry. Now one used rings you will have to file the surface flat again before you measure that gap. I have a ring I kept that was known to grind just to measure the difference and that one is around .045" I have noticed anything under .050" will be questionable and I would not run them. On worn rings if you shine a light on them just right you can see just how "flat" the inner teeth have become. An NOS one has nice shape teeth that look like alot of triangles all lined up. Wore ones look more like a trapizoid and they are usually worse on the ones closest to the machined flat or rear of the ring.

I can get you measurements on the 1-2 stuff also but they are usually in good enough shape on both sides. Usually what happens there is the 1-2 pad is burned up.

turbo addict

Yes,just finished another trans. I checked an NOS 3-4-5 stop ring on 3 different speed gears and got a measurement of .057-058". Thats using a feeler gauge measuring the gap between the machined flat area of the stop ring and speed gear when its completely seated on it dry. Now one used rings you will have to file the surface flat again before you measure that gap. I have a ring I kept that was known to grind just to measure the difference and that one is around .045" I have noticed anything under .050" will be questionable and I would not run them. On worn rings if you shine a light on them just right you can see just how "flat" the inner teeth have become. An NOS one has nice shape teeth that look like alot of triangles all lined up. Wore ones look more like a trapizoid and they are usually worse on the ones closest to the machined flat or rear of the ring.

I can get you measurements on the 1-2 stuff also but they are usually in good enough shape on both sides. Usually what happens there is the 1-2 pad is burned up.
    I have one that sat and somehow the 1-2 rusted. This was evidenced by the 1-2 synchro assembly being seized together, car would lurch forward if you didn't hold the clutch in while starting in neutral. I cleaned it off and maybe removed even more material. Now the 1-2 are so worn that they stick onto the speed gear and get seized because they get crooked. No resistance at all to going into 2nd and it only shifts clean at high rpms. I skip the gear otherwise.
    Really odd because this transmission was in a car, I have transmissions that were treated much worse.

boostaholic

Got the first transmission torn down last night, went fairly smooth other than removing the fifth gear on the input shaft, it was firmly on the splines.
    Here is how the bearing race looks:

Does this look right? Has the race moved on the shaft? Getting ready to have the race welded to the shaft if everything looks right.
    Photos of synchros to come..

boostaholic

Here's how the intermediate shaft looks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast