Thread: Minivan floor shifter install

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Minivan floor shifter install

Because race cars aren't column shift. The reason I didn't do this earlier is because I liked having the space between the seats open incase I had to carry something long. Now that I have a truck I'm not concerned with that anymore.

I got the shifter and console out of an early 90's Shadow. I've done this once before. When my ex girlfriend's mom moved to AZ she wanted a wagon until she saw my van. I found her a van but it was a manual. I bought the van for $400 and found a Shadow for $200 that was wrecked in the front for the automatic transmission. The automatic shifter has the same bolt pattern as the manual shifter. I couldn't use the manual shifter housing so I trimmed the Shadow housing.

And it fits my coffee mug perfect. Not I have someplace to put it where it won't fall over.

Because I'm starting with an auto van I don't have the mount for the floor shifter so I had to make my own. The first set of holes I drilled (on the right) were too far back. The next set of holes (on the left) were to far forward. So I made a plate that I could then put the sifter where ever I wanted and not have to worry about the cross support being in my way.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Minivan floor shifter install

I forgot to take a picture with the shifter mounted to the plate. The shifter uses four bolts to hold it down. I decided on only two. You can see the bar with two studs coming though. That's going to be the forward mount for the shifter. It's only got one stud going through the plate because after I mounted the plate I realize the lines of the console didn't line up with the dash the way I wanted them too. The problems of not removing the carpet to do this.

I used the factory shifter cable hole in the floor. I just had to remove the plug. The grommet is actually a fire wall plug out of a mini-van that I grabbed that when I was wiring MegaSquirt. I didn't need it for that so I used it for this.

The color seemed to match better when I first painted it. Oh well. Close enough. I had to trim the front sides off that go under the dash on the Shadow. The door in front of the shifter assembly can sit be opened.