Thread: Cordless Reciprocating Saw Recommendation?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cordless Reciprocating Saw Recommendation?

I need a inexpensive cordless reciprocating saw recommendation for cutting out body parts (a floor section and spare tire well) that I can use at a U-Pull-it yard. Something like these any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...uck-68852.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-68240.html

Also, how many feet of cutting sheet metal can you get out of a charged battery? I already have a good corded reciprocating saw that I use at home.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Cordless Reciprocating Saw Recommendation?

I'd steer clear of the HF stuff, batteries aren't very good, they may not cost much, but they are "cheap".

I'm quite happy with my Ryobi. http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Volt-...+tools+18+volt

Add an impact and you'll be unstoppable at PAP!

If you don't want to get a whole other set, you can probably get another saw, less battery for less than $50.00 (http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Cordless...+tools+18+volt ), you just need a compatible battery...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I have a 2008-era harbofreight cordless saw. It was a very useful tool to have at the junkyard. I never put it to the test as far as runtime, but when I was pulling parts it was very handy to quickly slice through hoses, wires, thin stuff, etc..I'm sure whatever one I got was the cheapest. In fact I think it came in one of those combo kits so it was EXTRA mickey mouse

- - - Updated - - -

Which reminds me I also had the harbor freight cordless impact wrench. THAT thing I did beat the crap out of and used all the time at the junkyard to take off ancient rusted on bolts and stuff. It was a VERY good tool and I still have it. Battery life never let me down, but you have to keep an eye on it just like any battery powered tool. Totally worth it IMO and a must-have junkyard tool if you are planning on kicking a$$ and taking names. If I had to list the top 10 things I've ever bought at harbor freight it would be in the top 5.

Hybrid booster

Dewalt always had a great set of cordless tools. Check your local craigslist, and if you have Facebook check local trader pages. Tools pop up all the time for cheap. Found a cordless combo kit brand new for 150 that originally ran 500. Definite score

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

My Craftsman one has held up very well cutting everything from tree limbs to 1/4" plate steel, with the right blades of course. Unfortunately after 3 years, the batteries are shot, and the upgraded lithium ones cost more than the saw did.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I have found that with drills the HF batteries just don't last, you can't leave them charging or they go bad (so they are just always dead when I want them).

I have to second the Dewalt recommendation other than the cost they are nice and the customer service is VERY good.

I had an issue with my Dewalt drill where the batteries weren't charging and it went like this:

I sent them an email through their support webpage stating that my batteries weren't charging 11 months after my purchase (normally a 1 year warranty).
    They said, "That's weird weird that both aren't charging, we will send you two new ones."
    There was no charge for the replacements, no request for the old ones back, they arrived in about 5 days from the initial email.

Next...

I sent them a note saying "I guess I was wrong, it appears to be the charger because these won't charge either."
    They never replied or I lost the reply in spam BUT a brand new high end 20V max charger arrived at my door a couple of days later. (no charge, no concern about the batteries they already sent, no hassle at all.)

This was all for a $100 black friday drill that came with two fairly low capacity 20V max batteries and a low end charger (apparently too low end but made right).

I now have 4 batteries (the replacements were better than it came with and are probalby $50 each for no charge)
    I also have a much better charger!

I think I have to be loyal for a little while now.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

The bit about replacement batteries is what gets me and my dad. At the price of new batteries I could replace the drill. It boils down to if you want new or keep something you know has been reliable. Or be like me and replace all the cells in the pack if it isnt a Li-PO.

Hybrid booster

I've been happy with the Craftsman 20V I have until my charger and one god battery disappeared after I left for California. Ex says she never let anyone borrow it, but it's not there. Still have the reciprocating saw, drill, flashlights, and vacuum that came in the kit, just not batteries or charger.

turbo addict

If you are looking for cheap look for 2 things as a minimum, Lithium battery, and 3.0 amp hour battery or bigger.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

After buying a HF 1/2 cordless drill I will not buy anything cordless from them again. In 2014 it came with a 1500mah NICD battery! I looked on the box before I bought it to see what kind if battery it had and it didnt say. I figured it would at least have had a 3000mah NIHM batt since I can buy those single cells off ebay dirt cheap. The sad thing is it seems to be decently made, but the battery is so poor its borderline useless. Ive considered upgrading the cells but think im going to just cut my losses.

Thanks to everyone here for your reply's, Marc

I just got back from the home depot and got myself Ryobi Reciprocating Saw, 2 Lithium-Ion 4 amp hour batteries and charger. I couldn't resist, I got the Ryobi Impact Wrench also

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1227141628a.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	52487

Hybrid booster

If anyone is interested there is a set for sale local for 225, its the dewalt set with a sawzall, drill, flashlight, and some other stuff.