Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making my car more comfortable for long drives

boostaholic

Making my car more comfortable for long drives

I was not sure where to put this and what is avaialbe to help the problem.

I thoroughly enjoy drinving my 92 Daytona IROC R/T as much as I can in the summer, but my gf will get migraines after riding in my car for extended periods of time. (4+ Hours) She basically tells me my car is a migraing making machine. I have broken it down to a few major reasons and current solutions:

1. Burning Oil Smell: Motor has low compression and tons of blow-by, solution to that is I am building a fresh short block to stop that.
    2. Loud exhaust: I have a 3" turbo back exhaust with a Magnaflow resonator in the middle and a matching Magnaflow ovla muffler out back, the car is actually quiest everywhere but 2800-3000rpms, drones like crazy there! I am going to be trying a Heartthrob HVS muffler out back and see if that cures my drone issues.
    3. Vibrations: I have yet to pinpoint this to engine vibrations or road vibrations, but she tells me my car literally vibrates her bones over time. Basically her feet vibrate on the passenger floor board and that vibration travels up her whole body. I really love driving my car but I dont want her to get migraines every time she rides in it. I can't figure out what is going on.

I have a Poly Bushings solid front motor mount, I have a rear solid bobble-strut with PB bushings top and bottom. I installed new driver's and passenger motor mounts last season and they did not help. I have PB Front Control Arm bushings, stock struts and springs up front, Monroe Formula GP's and stock srpings out back. On the driver's side I dont get any vibrations that I notice, so I am not sure the location of the issue.
    Anybody have this happen to them or have some ideas I could try?
    Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: Making my car more comfortable for long drives

Using the poly bushings will cause more engine vibrations to go through the car than the stock rubber bushings. It probably has more to do with the drone from the exhaust than anything. My GF doesn't like riding in my truck because of the exhaust smell from not running a cat cause it causes her to get car sick, but not migraines. I think if you fix the exhaust issues it will cure the problems.

Garrett booster

The drone is probably the worst offender. Something to keep in mind is in a recent discussion one user found that most of the drone is caused by improper exhaust tips that don't extend past the body. Something cheap and easy to think about that may solve the majority of your problems.

boostaholic

I'm pretty sure that discussion was started by me and I found on my car extending the tip helped a lot. I still have some unbearable drone at 2800-3000 rpm, I have an offer to try the HVS muffler, so I am going to try that first, second idea is a side branch resonator set to 100hz, this is the frequency that is the loudest in my affected area as tested and calculated.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The poly rear bobble strut made my GLH vibrate like crazy
    The entire car buzzed like it was going to explode. Once I changed back to the rubber mount. It was 100% better.

turbo addict

Solid front mount and a PB bobble will cause a good bit of vibration. One thing I found about that combination was that if the bobble is preloaded it will vibrate horribly. That trick should be reserved for people using stock or filled mounts.

turbo addict

Drive her car.

Face it,the bad impression is made. There is nothing you can do with your car to make her feel any difference towards it.

turbo addict

I gave up on getting my woman to ride in my omni. I don't even care anymore. She has a real good excuse though. She broke her back in the marines and it's too jerky. Especially with the aluminum flywheel.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Make sure you don't have a bunch of pre-load on the PB rear strut, that is having it under compression(tension?) that is forcing the motor to rotate forward...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I would say go for the hydro cushioned passenger side mount but I found it made zero difference for me.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Try the Flowmaster Hush power, its amazing. Also, sound deaden your car, that will also help.

The PB mounts are also part of it. I run a rubber dogbone, ran a poly one, it was replaced in 5 mins, unbearable.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

I have an offer to try the heartthrob hvs first, so I'll see if that works.

What is the dog bone you speak of? Solid bobble strut?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post

What is the dog bone you speak of? Solid bobble strut?
    I have a dogbone setup but same thing as your BS, the poly ones transmit tons of noise and vibration.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Try the Flowmaster Hush power, its amazing. Also, sound deaden your car, that will also help.

The PB mounts are also part of it. I run a rubber dogbone, ran a poly one, it was replaced in 5 mins, unbearable.
    If I ever get around to it I want to have at least one car with a cutout that directs exhaust through a small quieter muffler, but when open its just a full 3" exhaust.
    3.0 would make a lot of your complaints less annoying. I agree that the real response you are supposed to get to is "stop it" She wants you to stop driving and if you can't, get a car that you hate to drive. That will make her happy.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Mitsu booster

The noise and smell will get any women but the vibrations should even it out

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    PLEASE keep us informed on this one. I'm very interested in how that muffler works. I may do the same thing with my Daytona if it works well.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

boostaholic

I was actually suprised that the first time I got on my car, she just laughed and giggled, the harder and faster I run my car the more fun she has, she has been in the car with me for a couple of autocross events and really enjoys it. I do have to tell her when I am going to drop the hammer beacuse I did geive her a bad case of whip lash last year... Whoops!! That was at roughly 300 whp, soon it will be 450-500whp.
    The smell is beacuse the motor is fried and burns tons of oil, I have wanted to build a fresh short block for a few years and now I am partially into this rebuild. I know she does not want me to get rid of the car and I wont get rid of it, that is not a going to happen. The more I think about it, I am leaning towards the issue is my solid bobble strut.
    When I got the car it had a homemade one w/o bushings. I am going to talk to Johnny and see if I can get some softer durometer bushing for the transimission mount part of it. Also going to put no pre load on the bracket and try not to squish the bushings at all. Come to think of it, I think the bushigns could be upside down on the bracket and tightened too far. I'll take a look in a few weeks when the motor comes out.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post

I sound deadened the rear of my car a couple of years ago and that made a difference. I installed material in the complete rear hatch area including the spare tire, I also replaced all of the rear insulation at the same time, much better now. It is 100% better than it was, I just need to get rid of the drone at 2800-3000 and I will be very happy with the exhaust sound. I love the tone of the car out the rear now. Sounds like nothing else.

Hybrid booster

Possibly use some super plush floor mats the vibration doesn't transmit to her feet. Maybe add another layer of padding under the mats.

turbo addict

That exhaust smell always have me a headache. I'd fix the exhaust leak.
    Also that solid dog mount is causing the vibration. It did it on every TM I've owned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast