Thread: Valve Cover Venting

boostaholic

Valve Cover Venting

I am in the midst of a complete rebuild on my engine and I am looking to tie up some inherent problems I have been having with my car. I have had the issue of having too much pressure in my engine and having to add extra vents to get pressure out of it. I added pressure vents with hoses that went to a catch can down by my battery. Here is my current set-up:

This worked to remove the pressure, but the catch can would be full of oil within a matter of days. I had a low compression, high blow-by engine in the car so I know that was hurting me. So I am planning to baffle both valve covers to eliminate oil reaching the vent and only allowing pressure gas and air to be vented. Here is my current idea:

Secondly, after having a few talks with Jackson, I am going to be removing the barb on the front of the engine and installing a plug here. I will be adding a third oil drain hole to the front of the head. I will be removing the complete stock PCV system and intergrating it into my vented valve covers. I plan to tee off the front VC hose and run that hose to my Toyota PCV valve before having that terminate back into the intake manifold to keep my PCV system functioning as close to stock. I am confident just doing a fresh rebuild on my engine will alleviate a moajority of my pressure issues.

Do you think my baffles will keep oil from entering the breather system or do I need more?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Valve Cover Venting

I had the same problem until I did this, stopped it.

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Could you give me some dimensions for your baffles, that looks like what I am planning to do. Was this enough to vent the VC and keep oil from traveleing to the catch can? I will be running 30+ pounds off boost and i dont want a venting issue, this will also be my venting for the PCV system as I am removing the block vent in favor of better oiling of the intermediate shaft.

Hybrid booster

Given the rear valve cover angle when referring to its top surface, cutting two parallel 1/8"x2.0" slits in the cover and welding on an external box is extremely effective.
    Adding nipples within the valley area, between each valve cover, can be concealed below the valley cover and will equalize the front and rear valve train banks.
    Finally, the new external box should have a 5/8" - 3/4" nipple and should be run to a modified turbo oil return tube with the same sized nipple "T" provision.
    This will balance the system pressure, between head and block, while eliminating the need for a 'catch-can'.