Thread: Battery draining

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Battery draining

so my car had a dead battery. Not knowing how old the battery was, I went out and bought a new one. Now that one is dead too. After jumping it and running a bit, it charged back up, and I could restart it. Now it is flat dead after sitting two days.

i am not a master tech, so I need some help. Seems like the the alternator is ok because it recharged. The battery is good cause it is new (betting the old one was good too). So there is something draining it. The only issue I have had is a horn problem where if it was parked in the sun and got hot, the horn would blow continuously. I thought I fixed it by cleaning the contacts in the steering wheel, but when it happened again, I just unplugged the horn. I know I need to fix that later obviously, but could that be the issue?

Other than that how do I hunt down the current drain.

the car is a stock 1985 GLH. No mods at all really.
    Last edited by CoolV300C; 12-16-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Battery draining

Disconnect all cables/wires from the positive pole of the battery. Set your multimeter to measure amps and connect one pole to the positive battery cable and the other end to the positive pole of the battery. With every thing off there should be near zero amps being drawn. If you have a parasitic draw, the draw will be higher. Pull one fuse at a time and see if you see a sudden drop in amps. If so, its likely you have found the circuit causing the problem.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Makes sense. Thanks, I'll try that.

turbo addict

Just don't blow the fuse in your meter.

turbo addict

If you have optional light group on your GLHT, check the glove box light. Rear hatch light too. I've had two shadows over the years that have have glove box lights slowly drain the battery. If the vehicle is a garage queen dust magnet, your radio clock/presets are always drawing a small amount of power. Two days killing a battery is a bigger draw than that though. You would need to remove horn relay to kill the potential drain, not just the horn lead. Could very well be your issue.
    Todd

turbo addict

I did this test once and found that my boost controller memory function drew more 4x more power than all other systems combined. I disconnected the memory function when I found that out.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Looks like it was a short in the horn. That was the fuse that stopped the drain when pulled. It also controls the dash lights and a couple other things too, but I had trouble with the horn before. I disconnected the wires behind the horn pad and there is no drain. Gotta fix that, or get another wheel.

I appreciate the help here.