Thread: Headliner adhesive

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Headliner adhesive

I'm needing to replace the headliner in my Shelby Lancer. Can anybody point me to the right place to buy the fabric? What about the adhesive? We use 3M Super 77 here at work, or is there something better?

Re: Headliner adhesive

Stock interiors sells headliner and I think fabric for the rear travel carrier, but I haven't ordered from them for that stuff yet. Frabric stores will sell headliner, but I've found that they only carry lighter shades of grey and not the darker shades, like the charcoal that mine is.

There is another place that sells both and they look to have a good selection, but they wouldn't send me any samples that I wanted for the rear travel carrier so I could re-cover it.

www.stockinteriors.com
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to walk into your local auto parts store and purchase a product called "HeadsUp" headliner adhesive. It lasted almost an entire week.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Use 3M 38808 headliner and fabric adhesive

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I bought my headliner fabric here: http://www.albrightssupply.com/

Fast shipping, great prices, and great selection. I also purchased all of my jute padding from them as well.

+1 on the 3M 38808. You can also purchase headliner glue from the site above...

The 3M 77 specifically states on the can, not for use on headliners. Not sure why? I used it on a small piece on the overhead console I carved out of foam. The 38808 will desolve foam, while the 77 doesn't...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I've used the 3M 77 on a few cars and it's "holding up", although each car does have a spot that the fabric has pulled away from the board. Most likely it's because I stretched it too tight and it didn't adhere properly during the curing phase. It's been several years and neither has gotten worse.

However, I was talking to a buddy of mine who does upholstery professionally for Duncan Aviation, and the occasional car headliner on the side, and he says he won't use the aerosol adhesives anymore, because the solvent content needed to make it work as an aerosol makes it too prone to bleeding through and staining, and costs too much to get enough useable adhesive on both the fabric and the board (and yes, I did use an entire can on the headliners for my Charger and CSXT). He uses a spray gun for all his jobs. Yes, it costs more initially, so if you're only doing the one car, stick to the spray can. But he says if you're going to do a lot of them, the spray gun is the way to go.

turbo addict

Any idea what kind of gun he is using? Is specifically for adhesive or can you spray it through a 2.0 primer gun?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Any idea what kind of gun he is using? Is specifically for adhesive or can you spray it through a 2.0 primer gun?
    Buy a gun just for adhesive... It will basically ruin the gun. It will never spray paint right again... Here's a few cheap ones: http://www.yourautotrim.com/sprayglueguns.html

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I bought my headliner fabric here: http://www.albrightssupply.com/

Fast shipping, great prices, and great selection. I also purchased all of my jute padding from them as well.

+1 on the 3M 38808. You can also purchase headliner glue from the site above...

The 3M 77 specifically states on the can, not for use on headliners. Not sure why? I used it on a small piece on the overhead console I carved out of foam. The 38808 will desolve foam, while the 77 doesn't...
    I'm going to be buying from these people, simply because they communicate well and sent me the samples I asked for. If anyone needs them, she sent me a good number of samples (like 5 fabric ones and a headliner sample foldout) and I'll be making my order shortly and won't need them anymore. Meaning, if you want these samples to review, I will mail them to you. I'll take a pic or two of what they sent. Very nice of them and did not charge me for the samples. That may seem normal, but one place I contacted wouldn't send me 1" square samples. This lady sent me 4-5" samples AND the headliner sample fold out at no charge and I also offered to pay for the shipping.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The adhesive from stock interiors works best. Even better than 3M.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headli...=7&ModelId=142

Here is what they sent me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141219_203537.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	52420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141219_203506.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	52421

Ordered my stuff yesterday, it is on the UPS truck for delivery today. I plan to do my headliner tonight! Can't wait to get it. Ordered some cloth for the rear travel tray as well. Not the standard carpet that came on it, so going to have to test to see about applying it with 3M glue. At any rate, they were super helpful and I plan to send the samples to someone else, starting a thread for anyone who wants them. Obviously you can contact them directly if you want samples, but the ones above will be passed around as needed.

boostaholic

Which car are you doing? I need to order headliner for the lancer and the glhs.

Doing it for the Lancer. I got 2 yards and I should have enough for both visors, the travel thingy and the main headliner.

boostaholic

man the interior looks like a bear in the lancer...lots of parts to come out.

Four handles, the travel thing and at least one side of interior pieces, which would include the a pillar, b pillar (just the seat belt bolt) and rear side. As a note, I broke the tabs holding the rear passenger trim, I'll post pics in my thread. The travel thing has a screw UNDER the cloth, meaning they covered it AFTER it was mounted. I am at a loss at how stupid that is. Seriously, I dropped the F word when I realized what they did and I'm not one to cuss.

Hybrid booster

I use 3m super 90. Good for heat.

Jeremy, I bought the 3M adhesive and the fabric for my H body at Joann Fabrics, a chain store. Did it with the wive's help.
    Last edited by dodgeman87; 02-17-2015 at 03:17 PM.

boostaholic

How many wives do you have?