Thread: Just bought a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T and need to lower it.

Mitsu booster

Just bought a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T and need to lower it.

I just bought a really clean Spirit R/T and want to lower it. The car needs new front struts, the rear shocks are new so I was going to get some Eibach springs and new Koni front struts but I hear that the Koni's are no longer available. What are the options?

Hybrid booster

Re: Just bought a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T and need to lower it.

fwd performance sells eibach springs if they still have any left, they also have koni inserts for the front struts i think

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Not necessarily the best way, but you could always cut a coil off them. What part of Cali are you in?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Lots of options. Probably the "best option" for mild lowering would be to put a 2g neon Koni insert with a little machining on the end of the strut shaft into the stock k-car strut housing with a coilover spring setup. A cheaper option would be to use a complete 2g neon Koni STRT strut with the same machining and use it with the k-car upper mount and a neon spring. Or, you can redrill the strut tower for the neon upper mount and use the complete 2g neon setup with the $100 koni STRT.

If you want it to be super slammed you have to go to a totally different style of strut. At that point i would buy 1g neon Koni STRT struts complete and convert them to run a coilover setup.

If you only want to lower it 2" and arent worried about handling i would just cut the springs and add poly bumpstops from polybushings.com while you're in there. I had one car with stock-style struts and practically rode on those front bumpstops all the time and i liked it fine. It didn't turn worth a ---- but it looked cool to me.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Not necessarily the best way, but you could always cut a coil off them. What part of Cali are you in?
    Hey Allen, it is Shannon, I sold my 2013 Dodge Dart cuz I didnt want the payment anymore and I was shopping for an SRT4 when this Spirit popped up so I had to get it. Hard to find an SRT4 that isnt salvaged or beat up. I am gonna take my time with the Spirit since Jerry isnt as available as he used to be and it is not a daily driver. Not gonna go too crazy either on performance other then exhaust and a tune. Maybe do a 3 bar with +40's, I want it to be super reliable and surprise the Focus ST guys

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redlinegw View Post
    Hey Allen, it is Shannon, I sold my 2013 Dodge Dart cuz I didnt want the payment anymore and I was shopping for an SRT4 when this Spirit popped up so I had to get it. Hard to find an SRT4 that isnt salvaged or beat up. I am gonna take my time with the Spirit since Jerry isnt as available as he used to be and it is not a daily driver. Not gonna go too crazy either on performance other then exhaust and a tune. Maybe do a 3 bar with +40's, I want it to be super reliable and surprise the Focus ST guys

I'm such a Mo-Ron I'm like Redline GW, Redline George Washington, Redline GW Something hmmm. Shoulda figured that one out. Good to have you here Shannon!

Just and exhaust and a tune eh, sure... The Lotus motors can make killer power with relatively little done to them, heck a guy in Florida made 512WHP with a stock head by just trying a few different turbos(and a big intercooler)and that was like a million years ago. Exhaust yes, tune yes, +40's yes but upgrade that pathetic little intercooler. its 10% smaller than all the stock TII stuff and a major cork.

Lol, Jerry not 'as available' Guy hasn't responded to a text from me in like 2.5years

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

Do you have a part # for those koni's by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Lots of options. Probably the "best option" for mild lowering would be to put a 2g neon Koni insert with a little machining on the end of the strut shaft into the stock k-car strut housing with a coilover spring setup. A cheaper option would be to use a complete 2g neon Koni STRT strut with the same machining and use it with the k-car upper mount and a neon spring. Or, you can redrill the strut tower for the neon upper mount and use the complete 2g neon setup with the $100 koni STRT.

If you want it to be super slammed you have to go to a totally different style of strut. At that point i would buy 1g neon Koni STRT struts complete and convert them to run a coilover setup.

If you only want to lower it 2" and arent worried about handling i would just cut the springs and add poly bumpstops from polybushings.com while you're in there. I had one car with stock-style struts and practically rode on those front bumpstops all the time and i liked it fine. It didn't turn worth a ---- but it looked cool to me.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

1g Neon 8750-1099 front 8750-1100 rears

2g Neon 8750-1096 front 8750-1097L 8750-1097R REARS

Dont push the red button.You hear me?