Thread: BMF Intake runner alterations?

Hybrid booster

BMF Intake runner alterations?

Hello there fellow TMers.
    As many are aware, acannell has designed, fabricated,
    and built the greatest intake manifold to ever be bolted to a 2.2/2.5 engine.

However, I had concerns with the plenum being a bit closer to the turbine than I would like it to be.
    I don't think this will be an issue for folks running factory turbos,
    and probably not an issue for those running a factory exhaust mani.

But for those like me, who will be running an aftermarket turbo,
    and a custom fabricated header, this may be an issue.

I think thus-far that everything bolts up as is, and fits.
    My concern is the small amount of space between the intake and turbine housing.
    I'm worried about heat soak.
    Also, there may be an issue with the WG actuator arm as well.
    I don't have a BMF in hand,
    but I did have the fitment kit here for a while.

The idea I've come up with is to "bend" the runners(or angle them if you prefer).
    I think this can be done in a somewhat simple fashion.

Here's a rough paint of the idea:

As you can see, the angle makes the plenum plate level(or flat)
    What that precise angle is, i do not know, yet.
    Thoughts?

I understand the Change of direction in the air path will affect mixture and atomization.
    But in altering the path to the combustion chamber slightly,
    do you think avoiding the heat soak will compensate for the drawbacks of the angle?

And please, if you don't like it, or feel it's a "dumb" idea,
    please explain the reason(s) you feel this way.
    Thanks, in advance.

turbo addict

Re: BMF Intake runner alterations?

In regards to exhaust component heat, I think the most effective solution, which also happens to be the cheapest and easiest, is a foil barrier to block radiant and convective (hot air rising) heat from the exhaust area. Then, to block the minimal re-radiated heat from that, a thin refractory material blanket on top of the foil. This combo could be inserted between the intake and exhaust components as I have done (easiest), or it could wrap the plenum, runners and maybe flanges (alot more work, might look ghetto).

The most important reason to do a shield is, IMO, protecting the fuel rail, injectors, wiring, tubing, etc.. from the exhaust heat which can now rise through the runners and cook the crap out of them. IMO a shield is mandatory for this reason before even considering heat soak of the intake.

Begin pulled out of thin air (pun intended) scientific analysis:

As far as heat soak, at say 400cfm (about 200hp), at 20psi, theres about 0.03lbs of air in the BMF at any given instant, and it spends about 0.028 seconds in the BMF before being consumed by the engine. To heat that much air by 10F in 0.028s would require about 2800watts of power, assuming 100% efficiency. The efficiency of engine bay radiant and convective heating the BMF is going to be very low compared to something like an intercooler which has much more surface area both inside and out, and air being forced through it in a more direct way. Add a heat shield and now things are really inefficient as far as heat transfer from the exhaust components to the intake.

2800W is about twice the power of your average small space heater, but we are pumping probably 5 times that much CFM and a couple atmospheres high pressure so say 10 times as much air at least, and without a setup that tries to increase heat exchange efficiency. So its hard to see how we are talking more than a few degrees of influence as far as heat soak I think.

Hybrid booster

Nice!
    I think you may be right.
    And the material you suggest for a shield,
    could you link it in this thread.
    When I got the sample, it floored me.
    Incredible stuff.

Thanks again Asa.
    I think I may begin to focus more on getting the air in the entire engine bay OUT,
    and replaced with the cooler atmospheric air.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by knownenemy View Post
    Nice!
    I think you may be right.
    And the material you suggest for a shield,
    could you link it in this thread.
    When I got the sample, it floored me.
    Incredible stuff.

Thanks again Asa.
    I think I may begin to focus more on getting the air in the entire engine bay OUT,
    and replaced with the cooler atmospheric air.
    yup its fiberfrax 550F (thats the part number not the temp rating..which is 2000+F)..a cheap place to get it is:

http://www.vintagesteamproducts.com/...1a696b9&code=9

and my post about the BMF heat shield I made is:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f32...ml#post3377354

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Some of you with old 'log' Turbo I engines may recall that the factory used a tin shield with fiberglass to insulate the intake manifold from radiated heat from the exhaust manifold. Years ago when I picked up my first Spirit R/T, I found that a former mechanic/owner had used tin snips to cut up and make a heat shield out of an old Wyoming license plate. The license plate dimensions made for an easy heat shield to protect the TIII airbox..

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Some of you with old 'log' Turbo I engines may recall that the factory used a tin shield with fiberglass to insulate the intake manifold from radiated heat from the exhaust manifold.
    Yup, and then they ran a manifold with a bunch more surface area, ditched the shield, and still made more power.

Im with Asa in thinking it is not a big issue. I think it is more of an issue on a dragstrip where you heat soak while parked then it is on the street.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

^ True, but both of us have not gotten our BMF intake manifolds yet so it's it tough to say how close the intake/exhaust manifolds are as far as actually seeing them installed together.

As far as I see it any kind of heat shielding would help. Even if it is a 'hack' old license plate that no one will ever see. Considering the CFM/flow involved in an intercooled setup, the fiberglass backing is probably not needed for most people.

turbo addict

That heat shield on the T1 suckthrough cars was more of a fire protectant though. We had just put back together a friends T1 setup and took it out for a hard romp. After we were done we rolled up to a stop. Went to take off when flames lept through the large 1st gen Gbody hood vent. Thankfully we had just happened to grab the fire extinguisher on our way out the garage. Just melted the vac harness. But fuel had pooled up on that heat shield and then when we jerked the car fwd spilled off and lit on the glowing exhaust manifold and turbo. Someone forgot to tighten the rail bolts down and the injectors were leaking fuel while we were at full boost at 105+MPH through the sweeping twisties.

Hybrid booster

I have a pretty good idea of the clearance available to me when installed, and it's not much.

But the materials Asa suggested are super thin!
    Literally paper thin.

Here's a pic of when I had the BMF fitment kit and my header and turbo mocked:

The WG is not a concern of mine.
    I just want to be clear; that issue is solved.

I'm posting the pic to show clearance,
    and to illustrate the difference in clearance with the Header/Holset.