Thread: 3rd gear issues

3rd gear issues

I have started to look for a SRT Neon and have noticed a number of cars have a "issue" with third gear grinding or popping out. Anyone know what is going on and how much it would cost to repair (parts)?

Thanks, Paul

Re: 3rd gear issues

Over the weekend I drove two SRT Neon. The first car seemed to shift and stay in gear but the owner made it a point to inform me about the third gear. The second car had no third gear, when putting the shifter into third you would only hear a little grinding noise and no movement. Any input??

Thanks, Paul

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I have read there are a few problems with them. One being bent shift forks.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Overshifting and bending/breaking things. There is a snap ring that comes undone and allows the 3-4 synchronizer assembly to un-mesh and things get dicey from there also. If the 3-4 synchronizer is trashed thats $500 right there, no clue how much any of the individual gears and needle bearings run anymore but worst case could be well over $1000 just in dealership only parts. The common 10 year parts support limit is coming up soon also… 03 Transmissions are their own unique problem, none of the 'hard parts' are serviceable without buying a whole new 'set' of internal guts.

Thanks for the info on the 2003 cars (not on the list due to no LSD ), if I pull the trigger on a car with a bad trans the parts prices may push me into a used box.

Paul